Sign in with
Your question

Work/Gaming Desktop sub $1,000

Last response: in Systems
April 17, 2012 6:03:34 PM

Hello all, long time reader of Tom's Hardware, first time poster. Thanks for any help or advice you can provide with my new build.

I am looking to build primarily a computer to handle my small business needs. I own a bakery with my wife so small things like storing recipies, handling the Point of Sale software , and other such things. I spend quite a bit of time in the office so I would like some options for gaming also. After reading several articles on this site, below is what I've come up with. Please take a moment to look it over to see if there are possibilities for reduced pricing for same performance and all that stuff.

Approximate Purchase Date: This week... possibly tomorrow

Budget Range: Below $1000 at least. I'm comfortable with $1000 but have ~$750 with my current component selection. Would love lower, but either way. I still have to buy the software.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Support small business, databases, spreadsheets and all that. Gaming off & on.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Power Supply - CoolerMaster Real450W, D33567, RS-450-ACLY (good?), Case - CoolerMaster CMStacker, it's old and looks like only USB 2.0. Is it possible to get USB 3.0 upgrade?

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NewEgg, TheNerds, Amazon. These are the ones I used to use 6+ years ago.

Parts Preferences: This is what I've come up with so far... Intel Core-i5 - 189.99, Asus P8P67 - 209.99, Corsair Vengeance 8GB Kit - 49.99, Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 - 129.98, HP DVD RW - 32.98, WD 320 GB - 79.99

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: Haven't thought about it really. I have a 20" flat screen at home that I'll be using.

Additional Comments: I'm pretty sure I'll be getting Windows 7 and then probably Microsoft Office, although not sure what package for the Office yet. I have the full version from being a student on my laptop but don't think that's transferrable, lol. I'll also be using some sort of 'LogMeIn' software so I can login to the office computer remotely and do whatever I need from a laptop.

Temperature: I have all of the fans for the CMStacker except the motherboard fan which I plan on getting. Being that it's in a bakery, it sometimes gets hot back here in the office. Would I need any other aftermarket fans or is what I will have sufficient?

Again, thanks for all the help that you may be able to provide. I really do appreciate and value your time.
April 17, 2012 6:07:54 PM

Sorry, double post.
April 18, 2012 7:28:56 PM

Already Have
Case: CoolerMaster CM Stacker Still has USB2.0. Would I be able to upgrade or get a part that sits in a bay slot that has a bunch of USB3.0 or is the difference not in the wiring but in the MB?
Power supply: Real Power 450W (RS-450-ACLY) Is 450W enough these days? Should I just bite the bullet and get another?

Still Need
Cpu/Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 Quad Core - Amazon - $189.99
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe Motherboard - Amazon - $209.99 - After looking at some of the other builds, I'm thinking I can skimp a little on the motherboard if needed. Any suggestions?
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PC3-12800 1600Mhz CL9 DDR3 DIMM Memory Kit - Amazon - $49.99
Gpu/Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 - 800 Mhz Core - 1 GB RAM - PCI-e 3.0 X16 - NewEgg - $129.98
SSD: Not sure I need one. Possibility of getting one in a future as an upgrade. I see some are putting their SSD'S as the program storage while the HDD'S are storage of pictures, spreadhseets, etc. Are there security benefits to having two different drives where programs, etc. stored in one and other stuff stored in the other? I mean, if my computer picks up a virus somewhere on the ole' internet, won't it spread to both drives? Or is it just storage protection that comes into play with the two drives?
HDD: WD 320 GB - SATA/600 - 7200 rpm - 32 MB buffer - Amazon - $79.99
DVD Drive: HP DVD-Writer - TigerDirect - $28.99
Operating software: Windows 7 Professional - Discount Mountain - $129.93
Office Suite: Microsoft Office 2010 Professional - Discount Mountain - $325.91 - That's a hefty price for me. I use the publisher program quite a bit though for the different menu's, gift certificates, and other things like that.

Total: $1144.77
Related resources
April 22, 2012 9:02:40 PM

Looking through some of the other builds, I think I should probably be able to cut down on the motherboard price. Any recommendations? Or any recommendations on the overall build itself?

Also, is the power supply ok for my build? I've been looking for power consumption on my individual components to see but can't figure it out. I see all these new builds getting 750W, etc. power supplies, and it's starting to worry me, lol.
April 22, 2012 9:05:26 PM

Get another PSU. Something with a name like XFX or Seasonic.
April 29, 2012 12:09:59 AM

Already Have
Case: CoolerMaster CM Stacker
Keyboard
Mouse
Monitor: Not sure of the make/model of the monitor and it's in another state at the moment so can't check it.

Still Need
Power supply: SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W NewEgg - $149.99. This one better?
Cpu/Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 Quad Core - Amazon - $189.99
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe Motherboard - Amazon - $209.99
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PC3-12800 1600Mhz CL9 DDR3 DIMM Memory Kit - Amazon - $49.99
Gpu/Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 - 800 Mhz Core - 1 GB RAM - PCI-e 3.0 X16 - NewEgg - $129.98
SSD: Not sure I need one.
HDD: WD 320 GB - SATA/600 - 7200 rpm - 32 MB buffer - Amazon - $79.99
DVD Drive: HP DVD-Writer - TigerDirect - $28.99
Operating software: Windows 7 Professional - Discount Mountain - $129.93
Office Suite: Microsoft Office 2010 Professional - Discount Mountain - $325.91 - That's a hefty price for me. I use the publisher program quite a bit though for the different menu's, gift certificates, and other things like that.

Total: $1294.76

Still Open Question
1) My case already has a build in bay thing for the USB ports but the description says USB 2.0 on the web page. Will I need to get something else to add to the front bay to take advantage of USB 3.0?
2) What are the advantages & disadvantages of having a SSD/HDD setup?
3) After looking at some of the other builds, I'm thinking I can skimp a little on the motherboard if needed. Any suggestions?
4) I'd like to purchase whatever it is that I'm buying very soon, so are there any other changes that you guys would suggest?
April 29, 2012 12:11:14 AM

It is better, but GOLD won't make too much of a difference. Save $50 and get the PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk 750W for $100. Use the $ saved in getting a 560ti.
April 29, 2012 6:13:34 PM

Ok, cool. I'll look into the other power units here in a bit. On another note, I was reading a few more reviews for the motherboard and saw where the Z77 chipset is a little better than the 68, so I looked up a few other motherboards with that chipset and this is what I've come up with.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI STA 6BG/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard 32GB RAM - $224.99 - NewEgg
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard 32GB RAM - $209.99 - NewEgg
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard 32GB RAM - $189.99 - NewEgg

If I'm right, it has the rear USB connections and then the onboard USB connections are the ones I can wire to the front rack of the case, yes?
Also, not completely sure what the differences between the three MB'S are? Is it just the additional connections and better heatsinks for the MB'S as the price goes up?
April 30, 2012 12:16:58 AM

Yeah, newb question... but it's been a long time. Am I graduating to a 64bit system with the i5-2400 CPU?
May 4, 2012 1:37:55 AM

After a good bit of lookin, I think I've answered my questions.

1) USB 3.0 is a difference in the connection so I'll have to buy a separate front bay interface for that to match the MB USB3.0.
2) SSD shortens system boot and game loading times quite noticeably.
3 & the post below about MB'S) Looks like the main thing that separates the two more expensive boards from the cheap one is that the ceap one has only physical LAN connections where the expensive ones have WiFi. Since my computer is a desktop destined for the same office the router is going to be, WiFi is really not needed.
The newb question) It will definately be 64 bit.

Final build configuration to come for ya'lls approval.
!