Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is the AMD Athlon II X4 still good?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 30, 2012 6:44:06 PM

I am looking to upgrade my PC a bit. Mainly new PSU and GPU. I have 8 GB of DDR3 10600 RAM, and a 750GB HDD.

My Question is: Is the AMD Athlon II X4 630 CPU I have still good enough to handle most games if it is backed with a good PSU (Antec) and GPU (ATI or Nvidia)?

HP Win 7 Home Prem 64bit
Foxconn 2A92 Mobo
AMD Athlon II X4 630 @ 2.8 GHz
750bg 3.5'' HDD
380W Antec Earthwatts PSU
Radeon HD 5450
8 GB DDR3 RAM 10600 Corsair
No overclocks to anything.
In 2012 is the CPU holding me back, or should it get me through another couple years with a PSU and GPU upgrade alone.

More about : amd athlon good

a b à CPUs
July 30, 2012 6:49:35 PM

the 630 is an okay chip, it will bottleneck in some very CPU heavy games, but will be able to run games just fine for a few years to come
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 6:50:58 PM

What resolution will you be gaming at?
What games do you plan on playing?

In most cases at 1080p gaming, a great video card, and a good PSU will do you fine. But if you want to game at higher resolution, or you want 3D gaming, you might want to upgrade the CPU... But I'd shy away from that... GPU is all you need. SSD also, for good load times... No single upgrade will make a bigger difference than a new SSD...
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 30, 2012 6:52:24 PM

Meh I wouldn't go with an Athlon for gaming. It's ok but not great. If you run a game that is more CPU demanding it will cause some problems. What CPU do you have now that you would be upgrading to the Athlon?
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 6:56:50 PM

jacobdrj said:
What resolution will you be gaming at?
What games do you plan on playing?

In most cases at 1080p gaming, a great video card, and a good PSU will do you fine. But if you want to game at higher resolution, or you want 3D gaming, you might want to upgrade the CPU... But I'd shy away from that... GPU is all you need. SSD also, for good load times... No single upgrade will make a bigger difference than a new SSD...


I play on a 26'' LCD PnP 1360X768 Native but can run hdmi 1080p and 720p also.
I play all kinds of games. RTS, I would love to get Starcraft 2, rpg, diablo3, Counterstrike GO comes out next month and the Total War series. Also, with a 380W PSU, Can it run a good graphics card, or should I upgrade the PSU as well?
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 6:58:23 PM

rds1220 said:
Meh I wouldn't go with an Athlon for gaming. It's ok but not great. If you run a game that is more CPU demanding it will cause some problems. What CPU do you have now that you would be upgrading to the Athlon?

already have the Athlon. Came with the PC two yrs ago. Was just wondering if it was still a viable option for gaming W/O having to upgrade the CPU also.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 30, 2012 6:59:57 PM

jkobusinski said:
I play on a 26'' LCD PnP 1360X768 Native but can run hdmi 1080p and 720p also.
I play all kinds of games. RTS, I would love to get Starcraft 2, rpg, diablo3, Counterstrike GO comes out next month and the Total War series. Also, with a 380W PSU, Can it run a good graphics card, or should I upgrade the PSU as well?


Just upgraded a similar computer. He didn't want to get a new PSU, and gave me a $140 budget.

I got a 7770 that only required 1 PCIE power connector for $110. Works fairly well. Not the best card out there, but because of his financial and power budget, I didn't want to push it any further than that... All those games you mention work just fine.

Earthwatts 380 is a solid PSU, so if you go for a low power card like a 7770, you will be fine. Don't try to put a high-end card in without replacing it, because it may push her too far and make your computer unstable...
Share
July 30, 2012 7:04:44 PM

jacobdrj said:
Just upgraded a similar computer. He didn't want to get a new PSU, and gave me a $140 budget.

I got a 7770 that only required 1 PCIE power connector for $110. Works fairly well. Not the best card out there, but because of his financial and power budget, I didn't want to push it any further than that... All those games you mention work just fine.

Earthwatts 380 is a solid PSU, so if you go for a low power card like a 7770, you will be fine. Don't try to put a high-end card in without replacing it, because it may push her too far and make your computer unstable...

If i choose to buy a newer GPU and a new PSU, Antec 550W or higher, would that cause anyproblems with my Mobo, or will it support it?
PS. I looked at the 7770 on newegg and really liked it, how obsolete is it and how long until I should have to upgrade again? remember, I play mainly RTS and top down RPGs.
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 30, 2012 7:08:00 PM

jkobusinski said:
already have the Athlon. Came with the PC two yrs ago. Was just wondering if it was still a viable option for gaming W/O having to upgrade the CPU also.


O it's good enough, not great but it should play most games fine. Like I said the only times you might notice a decrease in performance is in games that are more demanding on the CPU. In that case it can be a bottleneck.
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 7:11:48 PM

rds1220 said:
O it's good enough, not great but it should play most games fine. Like I said the only times you might notice a decrease in performance is in games that are more demanding on the CPU. In that case it can be a bottleneck.

Thank you so much for all your help. I now know what to look for as far as Power comsumption goes. One last Question.
If i do upgrade to a 550W antec PSU, what is the best GPU that I can use at its full capabilites? Is the 550W good enough for the newest GPUs out there? I saw the 6990 requires immense ammounts of power.
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 7:12:58 PM

Best answer selected by JKobusinski.
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 7:21:37 PM

jkobusinski said:
If i choose to buy a newer GPU and a new PSU, Antec 550W or higher, would that cause anyproblems with my Mobo, or will it support it?
PS. I looked at the 7770 on newegg and really liked it, how obsolete is it and how long until I should have to upgrade again? remember, I play mainly RTS and top down RPGs.



7770 isn't obsolete. It is actually brand new. However, it is a lower-mid tier card. Better than any integrated card, by far, and capable of playing anything at the resolutions you will be playing at. It isn't about being obsolete or not, as there are MUCH faster cards that ARE considered actually obsolete, but it is because they don't have all the bells and whistles...

550W Antec might do the job on a power hungry beast like the 6990, or it may not. If you are spending that much money on a video card, spend some money and get a nice powerful Seasonic PSU that you won't have any questions about...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is all about your budget... If you want to spend 500 dollars on an upgrade, I'd get a PSU like that one and a top tier video card... If you are more modest and have more like a $200 budget, even your earthwats might be fine with a single PCIE powered card.

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2012 7:31:16 PM

jacobdrj said:
7770 isn't obsolete. It is actually brand new. However, it is a lower-mid tier card. Better than any integrated card, by far, and capable of playing anything at the resolutions you will be playing at. It isn't about being obsolete or not, as there are MUCH faster cards that ARE considered actually obsolete, but it is because they don't have all the bells and whistles...

550W Antec might do the job on a power hungry beast like the 6990, or it may not. If you are spending that much money on a video card, spend some money and get a nice powerful Seasonic PSU that you won't have any questions about...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is all about your budget... If you want to spend 500 dollars on an upgrade, I'd get a PSU like that one and a top tier video card... If you are more modest and have more like a $200 budget, even your earthwats might be fine with a single PCIE powered card.


the 6990 pulls up to 400W so it would be a close call hehe

and being an owner of a 6770 i can vouch for the 7770 being perfect @768x1366
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 10:43:49 AM

Overclock your CPU a little bit if possible and get a better graphics card.



I'm an Athlon II X4 645 owner and I can say without a doubt that it is a good cpu. I have that cpu and a GTX 460 and I can max most games out at 1080P. There are only a few games I can't max out but they still play good at medium to high settings. My CPU runs at a little higher clock speed than yours but you probably can overclock at least 200MHz to get at 3.0GHz.
m
0
l
!