All of these numbers are confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nam

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Trying to understand all of the numbers and letter designations on these cards and the significance, I have used the search feature and I am just not finding what I am looking for.

For example,

If I go to newegg.com and type Radeon HD 6950 into the search box, I get 14 results. 12 of which are graphics cards, different cards and different manufacturers. Is there a key somewhere to help with the designation or differences in these units? I am just using the radeon 6950 as an example, they all seem to be that way.

Thanks

N

Solution
Radeon HD 6950 refers to the GPU model. The GPU is produced by AMD or nvidia. The cards however, are produced by other companies. Any card carrying the Radeon HD 6950 GPU will generally offer the same performance. The differences between models are typically coolers, output ports attached to the back of the card, and warranty support. Some models also have custom PCBs, better voltage regulators, and other features that allow for better overclocking potential. Some models will also be overclocked at the factory, and will perform slightly better than a card at stock clocks right out of the box.
Radeon HD 6950 refers to the GPU model. The GPU is produced by AMD or nvidia. The cards however, are produced by other companies. Any card carrying the Radeon HD 6950 GPU will generally offer the same performance. The differences between models are typically coolers, output ports attached to the back of the card, and warranty support. Some models also have custom PCBs, better voltage regulators, and other features that allow for better overclocking potential. Some models will also be overclocked at the factory, and will perform slightly better than a card at stock clocks right out of the box.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

AMD and Nvidia do not make graphics cards they only make the GPU ( graphics processing unit ) and then they ship the GPU to 3rd party resellers who manufacture the actual graphics cards. Certain manufacturers may add extra cooling to their cards or overclock them or add extra memory. They may also have different warranties. Those are the things you need to pay attention to when you have decided on a base GPU, for instance the HD 6950.

D

Deleted member 217926

I had to break up a cat fight in the middle of typing my reply lol. Did not notice you had already replied when I got back.

Status
Not open for further replies.