Solved

Need advice for upgrading my rig

So guys my config is

Pentium D 2.8 ghz
2GB RAM
Palit HD 3850 1GB
iball 500W sprinter

I noticed a considerable lag in gameplay after i upgraded my PSU from 450w(cheap one costing around 10$) to iball 500W.I play Burnout: Paradise and Skyrim in medium settings.Any reason for this?

Also I'm thinking of upgrading my system and sort of landed in a dilemma whether to upgrade my CPU or my graphic card.Any help is much appreciated...my budget is 200$.
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need advice upgrading
  1. you have an ancient system i would suggest saving up and upgrading the whole internals, re use the case and psu
  2. I wouldnt upgrade that with $200. Wait and Save up the $$$ then build new.

Reason being $200 spent there on 1 item wont make massive gains your best off tolerating it until you have enough to make a new build.
  3. What is your motherboard model #?
  4. That's a socket 775, it should already be a PCIe graphics card, right?

Besides the fact that this system is quite ancient, you could go with a more recent graphics card, something like a HD 6850/6870. Faster cards don't make much sense, given the age of the other components and your budget range. You can also take the card along into a new system once you have the money. So that's your best bet.

BTW, why "upgrade" a PSU? There's no performance gain in this. Was the old one broken?
  5. whatsthatnoise said:
    That's a socket 775, it should already be a PCIe graphics card, right?

Besides the fact that this system is quite ancient, you could go with a more recent graphics card, something like a HD 6850/6870. Faster cards don't make much sense, given the age of the other components and your budget range. You can also take the card along into a new system once you have the money. So that's your best bet.

BTW, why "upgrade" a PSU? There's no performance gain in this. Was the old one broken?

Yep,it is PCIe
    My old PSU was causing random crashes and BSODs ...thats taken care of,atleast for now.
  6. PCIe is good, so like I said, a new GPU would be the best, if not only option, besides of a whole new system. :)
  7. redhotchilipackers said:
    What is your motherboard model #?

MSI .I'm not sure about the model but I'm sure its an entry level one.
  8. alvine said:
    you have an ancient system i would suggest saving up and upgrading the whole internals, re use the case and psu

Sigh...FML.
    Suggest me a gud config will ya?
    And go easy on the budget...
  9. moonlightprince said:
    MSI .I'm not sure about the model but I'm sure its an entry level one.

If I knew the model # of your board I could tell you if there is a worth-while CPU upgrade out there.
  10. redhotchilipackers said:
    If I knew the model # of your board I could tell you if there is a worth-while CPU upgrade out there.

It supports intel CPU's upto core2quad...no 'core i' intel processors supported though.I saw a deal on ebay for Phenom black edition 3.2ghz along with asus motherboard(new) for 200$...Would that be worth it?
  11. moonlightprince said:
    It supports intel CPU's upto core2quad...no 'core i' intel processors supported though.I saw a deal on ebay for Phenom black edition 3.2ghz along with asus motherboard(new) for 200$...Would that be worth it?

give us the link so we can see it too, remember you will need ddr3 ram.
  12. Best answer
    moonlightprince said:

How bout this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116347 and this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131397? For just under $200 you could give quite a significant upgrade to your CPU and GPU.
  13. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
  14. redhotchilipackers said:

Would it handle GTA4, Arkham City,Arkham Asylum ?
  15. Should run it ok, depending on your resolution.
  16. zooted said:
    Should run it ok, depending on your resolution.

i run games at 1024x768...are high settings possible?

And does having a cheap mobo affect game performance in any way?
  17. uhh yeah should demolish that resolution.
  18. Best answer selected by moonlightprince.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems