What's the World's Fastest Computer Used For?

Sharing an interesting article

Structurally speaking, MDGrape-3 is a parallel computing system consisting of two main sections: a primary server unit and a specialized-engines unit...The primary server unit manages the engine cluster. This parallel server setup runs two different types of processors: 65 servers run dual-core Intel 5000-series Xeon processors, 256 per server; and 37 servers run 3.3-GHz Intel Xeon processors, each with 2 MB of level 1 cache, at 74 processors per server. This hardware structure enables the 1-petaflop speed...The (specialized-engines unit) is a cluster of 201 engines running proprietary chips developed by Riken specifically for MDGrape-3. It's this huge set of engines, running 24 MDGrape-3 chips each, that does the heavy protein-analysis lifting. Each chip has a maximum processing speed of 230 gigaflops (one billion operations per second).

Albeit it's a specialized machine, that's still pretty effin' impressive! I thought it intersting that the primary server is a Xeon based machine considering all the press about Cray with their Opteron based machines.

Enjoy!

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Sharing an interesting article

Structurally speaking, MDGrape-3 is a parallel computing system consisting of two main sections: a primary server unit and a specialized-engines unit...The primary server unit manages the engine cluster. This parallel server setup runs two different types of processors: 65 servers run dual-core Intel 5000-series Xeon processors, 256 per server; and 37 servers run 3.3-GHz Intel Xeon processors, each with 2 MB of level 1 cache, at 74 processors per server. This hardware structure enables the 1-petaflop speed...The (specialized-engines unit) is a cluster of 201 engines running proprietary chips developed by Riken specifically for MDGrape-3. It's this huge set of engines, running 24 MDGrape-3 chips each, that does the heavy protein-analysis lifting. Each chip has a maximum processing speed of 230 gigaflops (one billion operations per second).

Albeit it's a specialized machine, that's still pretty effin' impressive! I thought it intersting that the primary server is a Xeon based machine considering all the press about Cray with their Opteron based machines.

Enjoy!

No doubt, military usage.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Because it's not a general-purpose machine capable of running the LINPACK benchmark, MDGRAPE-3 does not qualify for the TOP500 list.

...Not interested, moving on :p.

:lol:

I wonder how fast it would be if they let Wusy overclock it. 8O

Holy mother of all things holy and pure....
untitled1kv4.png

I sooo want it.... :? :idea: o O (I wonder if it'll fit in my room...)

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Because it's not a general-purpose machine capable of running the LINPACK benchmark, MDGRAPE-3 does not qualify for the TOP500 list.

Why would you want it if you cannot even benchamrk it, yet alone play games,.

It is a special purpose system built for molecular dynamics simulations, especially protein structure prediction.

...Snooze

Because, like a good portion of teenaged men out there, I have a healthy obession with all things fast, powerful and loud.
There isn't much I could do with a M1 Abrams Tank ...except unleash unholy destruction and chaos upon those who have the misfortune of pissing me off... but that doesn't make me want it any less either.

But....
Does the computer have any c2ds? No.
Any PCI-E ATI/Nvidia flagship cards? No.
At least the new SB XiFi? Not a chance.

Does it come with the new 30in displays? Nope.
Does it have a Razor gamming mouse? Nuh uh.
Does it have any Raptor 10k rpm disks? No.

Does it run Dos games any faster? Doubt it.
Can it cacluate how soon it will be a waste of 800 million dollars? Ya, but so can my Ti83.

(a joke).
Its amazing what these computers can actualy do.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercomputer#The_fastest_supercomputers_today

The Blue Gene is currently the fastest true supercomputer... 131072 processors... Dear god, I could probably build a house with that many processors... I wonder what kind of cooling system they use? Liquid nitrogen?

I AM INVINCIBLE (props to anyone know where thats referenced from)

Ummm Russian Computer geek from James Bond: Goldeneye.

With that machine, you could play Mindsweeper in a field a googolplex^2 with a trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion mines. May be a bit boring though. Might want to up the mine count to 10x10^10^10^2

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah, I was referencing to Goldeneye, which I still say is one of the best Bond movies out there, with that scene being one of the most memorable. Must be a heck of a way to go though, getting droused in liquid nitrogen.

Back to the supercomputer... I would use it for online gambling and earn all my money back in minutes... HAHAHAHAHAHA

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
As a side note, i read in Pop Sci a few months ago about a cluster of PCs that run some evolution software. This software is meant to solve problems/ fit specifications for many things. It works by taking into account all physical laws and design specifications, then through evolution simulation (this mixed with that gives.... the result is then mixed with that yields etc) it comes up with a solution.

The example problem Pop Sci talked about was a project from NASA it was given to find the perfect design for an antenna to transmit or recieve (i forget) a certain signal... its solution was very surprising in its physical attributes, but it functioned optimally over any other design available. (it endede up being about the size of a paper clip undone, in some strange shape made up of bends all over the place.)

I want that software on my PC!!

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Stock Air Cooling. The processors at the very bottom of the CPU "chimney" have been upgraded to Zalman CPU coolers.

GOOD IDEA! I'll build my next computer into my fireplace! The chimmney will give great ventilation and I can just put a 30" screen in front of it to simulate a roaring fire.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Meh, if Zalman was selling fans for that supercomputer, they would make so much money with their overpriced pieces of metal...

I'm pretty sure they keep the area superclean too, wonder how loud it is, since they probably use a combination of A/C and fans like most servers do... shrug