1,500$+ gaming computer

Hello, I need some help before buying components for my new computer. I'm a complete novice so please forgive me. Converted is about 1200€.

Processor : i5 2500k
Graphic card: HD 7870, revérifier les benchmarks
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 socket 1155
HD : Samsung F4 2To or Western Digital 2To Caviar Green ?
RAM : Kingston Valueram 2x4 Go DDR3
Monitor : Dell U2212HM
Case : Fractal R3 en promo
SSD : Crucial M4
PSU : Seasonic S12ii
Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow
Optical : Lite On DVD Burner

What do you think about it ? Do you have any recommendation ? I have no idea about power supply, motherboard, SSD etc.

Approximate Purchase Date: this week
Budget Range: 1200-1500€ (1500$-1900$)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming (emulated arcade games from the 2000's, MMOs, high standard quality games) movies, internet, streaming
Parts Not Required: mouse, speakers
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: french sites : rue-mongallet.com, amazon.fr but any US site is fine
Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Geforce graphic card
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 2500x???
Additional Comments: I need a computer that can run the most games possible at 60 FPS, with high settings by preference.
8 answers Last reply
More about gaming computer
  1. i7 is too much for a gaming computer. stick with an i5.

I would choose either a 7970 or a gtx 680 if you could find one.

For a motherboard, check out the newer z77 motherboards. If you can, also wait for the ivy bridge processors to match the z77 MoBo. They were made for each other.

If you could afford it, a good brand for SSD's would either be intel or samsung. Also, ocz vertex 4 looks promising as they are not using sandforce controllers anymore.

Your PSU would depend mainly on what video card you choose and your plans in the future. Are you planning to overclock or SLI/Crossfire?
  2. Z68 won't work with the i7-3820 - you'll need either an X79 motherboard or an i5-2500K. I'd personally go with a Z77 and then you have upgrade options open for Ivy and beyond.

Try this build:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - 84,99 €
    PSU: Corsair TX750 V2 - 112,99 €
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H - 141,49 €
    CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - 206,99 €
    Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - 31,99 €
    RAM: 8GB Kingston Hyper X Gray 1600MHz 1.5V - 26,99 €
    HD: Seagate Barracuda SATA Revision 3.0 - 750 Go - 89,99 €
    Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - 16,89 €
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 - 394,99 €
    Monitor: Asus VS239H - 162,96 €

Total: 1 272,76 €

A little bit over budget but you get one of the best video cards on the market right now (the 580 is really starting to show it's age). I didn't include peripherals as I usually don't since that's entirely personal preference. You can get a cheap keyboard and mouse for now and then get the good ones later.
  3. Thank you for your replies. I think I made a mistake and will definitely buy an i5 2500k. I'm about to sell my Asus G73JH laptop tomorrow but I'll see if I can wait for the Ivy bridge.

I'm not planning on overclocking/crossfire because I'm a complete novice in this. I like the Shinobi case shown in my first post, wouldn't it fit with the components ?

So, I think I'll go with more space on the hard disk (2 To to 3 To, for huge movies and music). I think I'll stick with the Dell monitor too because I need to rotate it (play in TATE) for shooting games like Cave ones.

What is the difference between brands like Sapphire, Zotac, Nvidia when it's about graphic cards ? Looks like price isn't based on the brand itself. I'll trust you about the other products like PSU, Cooler and optical drive because I don't know anything about it.
  4. Quote:
    So, I think I'll go with more space on the hard disk (2 To to 3 To, for huge movies and music). I think I'll stick with the Dell monitor too because I need to rotate it (play in TATE) for shooting games like Cave ones.

If you're buying an HD larger than 2TB you should definitely look into getting an SSD (solid state drive) for your primary. It will help improve OS load times and read/write cycles as well as transfer times.

Quote:
    What is the difference between brands like Sapphire, Zotac, Nvidia when it's about graphic cards ? Looks like price isn't based on the brand itself. I'll trust you about the other products like PSU, Cooler and optical drive because I don't know anything about it.

Sapphire is an ATI/AMD exclusive manufacturer, and Zotac and EVGA are NVIDIA-exclusive manufacturers. ATI/AMD and NVIDIA have been around a long time and both make different types of graphics cards that they source out to other companies that produce them. I generally prefer the smaller, more focused brands like Sapphire and EVGA as that's all they make and they know their products. They also stand by what they sell with great warranties and include tons of extras that the big motherboard manufacturers don't.

You should definitely read more about PSUs before you buy one - Corsair is popular in that they make good products (I own two of them) and they're usually one of the most reliable. Optical drives are basically CD burners and the cooler is only needed if you want to overclock your CPU - if you don't you can get one that isn't unlocked and save some money.
  5. So if I understand correctly I should put all my games, music and movies on the 2/3 To HD and use the SSD where I store the less files possible ? I saw this one, loverboi said it's good : http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Industrys-Highest-Performance-2-5-Inch/dp/B007R1FH3K or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167005
    I still don't know what I would do with them and why the space matters.
  6. gekiro said:
    So if I understand correctly I should put all my games, music and movies on the 2/3 To HD and use the SSD where I store the less files possible ? I saw this one, loverboi said it's good : http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Industrys-Highest-Performance-2-5-Inch/dp/B007R1FH3K or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167005
    I still don't know what I would do with them and why the space matters.

What you do with an SSD <=64GB is you use it to boot your computer only, you store your games, music, movies and other large files on the secondary. This relieves the work of the secondary storage and puts all the load and read/write cycles on the SSD - allowing for faster load times.

I haven't used that particular SSD yet - even though OCZ is no longer using the awful Sandforce controller, it will be interesting to see how these drives hold up in the long run - they still have a really iffy reputation on the market and whether they shatter it with this new drive or not remains to be seen. The Crucial M4 is usually my go-to SSD - I have one and it has yet to fail on me: http://www.materiel.net/disque-ssd/crucial-m4-64-go-sata-revision-3-0-75845.html
  7. Thank you. I think I'm gonna take everything you told about, except the case and monitor. I hope I'll be able to sell any old piece when it comes time to change for better looking games.

I won't take the Ivy bridge then, can't wait.
  8. Sorry for the double post but I'm not allowed to edit. I'll take the optical drive too, but what about the cooler ? Am I not supposed to buy an extra cooler for this huge configuration ? I thought the cooler integrated in the video card was never sufficient. I don't intend to overclock now, but I may do it in the next few years.

Edit : figured out how to properly edit, now added the mandatory text from the sticky post even though g-unit1111 helped me for a huge part in the build and shouldn't change at all.

Update

Processor : i5 2500k
    Graphic card: HD 7870, revérifier les benchmarks
    Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 socket 1155
    HD : Samsung F4 2To or Western Digital 2To Caviar Green ?
    RAM : Kingston Valueram 2x4 Go DDR3
    Monitor : Dell U2212HM
    Case : Fractal R3 en promo
    SSD : Crucial M4
    PSU : Seasonic S12ii
    Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
    Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow
    Optical : Lite On DVD Burner
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product