Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Thor v2 mod help

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Fan
  • Thor
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
July 30, 2012 10:52:10 PM

Hi, i would like to know how would i go about making a side window mod for my thor v2. Also a way to keep the fan on the side. Any sort of a start would be greatly appreciated...

More about : thor mod

a c 80 ) Power supply
July 30, 2012 11:53:05 PM




This is my case and its a Cooler Master HAF-X and if you were to look at a photo of a stock HAF-X case you would see a big difference and that difference is a full size window in the side panel with a small fan. The stock side panel has a 200mm fan and took up too much space. So what I did is cut it out useing a jig saw with a metal blade and then with a full sheet of plexi glass fit it in the side panel useing double sided tape. The links below wll show the prts I used.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

The next link is the whole page of windows so that you can choose from colors and precut fan holes.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...
Score
0
July 30, 2012 11:59:35 PM

Thanks man, i don't see any pre-cut 230mm fan holes which sucks... but thanks for letting me know what i need...
Score
0
Related resources
a c 80 ) Power supply
July 31, 2012 12:02:14 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you look at the picture of the case you can see that the window it came with was very small and had a 200mm fan . kind of like the Thor case. The part that was cut out is the raised part of the side panel and the clear plexi was placed behing the panel and fastened with the tape which is very strong and hard to remove actualy. The alternative to the tape is to drill a series of holes around the side panel and through the plexi also to fasten it. The reason I used the tape was because the plexi is hard to deal with and drilling can be problematic when close to the edge. You may want to consider the precut fan holes unless you have a Dremmil tool with a cutting bit.
Score
0
a c 80 ) Power supply
July 31, 2012 12:05:20 AM

Houseboratheon said:
Thanks man, i don't see any pre-cut 230mm fan holes which sucks... but thanks for letting me know what i need...



The reason I cut out the fan and put the window was to get rid of the huge fan so I could have more of the inside to view. A 120mm fan was sufficient to get cooling air flow. I relocated the fan to the optional top spot that didn't have a fan.
Score
0
July 31, 2012 12:22:22 AM

inzone said:
The reason I cut out the fan and put the window was to get rid of the huge fan so I could have more of the inside to view. A 120mm fan was sufficient to get cooling air flow. I relocated the fan to the optional top spot that didn't have a fan.

I know, it was a great idea. But in my case their is no other place for a 230mm fan and there is no way im gonna give it up...
Score
0

Best solution

a c 80 ) Power supply
July 31, 2012 12:26:33 AM

Well , you can cut out a hole in the window and reuse the fan in the side but the size of the fan is going to take up a lot of window space and almost defeat the purpose of putting a window in.
Share
July 31, 2012 12:28:24 AM

inzone said:
Well , you can cut out a hole in the window and reuse the fan in the side but the size of the fan is going to take up a lot of window space and almost defeat the purpose of putting a window in.

Yea thats what i thought.... But i would rather have the performance of the fan over the looks of my build personally... Thanks anyway
Score
0
July 31, 2012 12:28:36 AM

Best answer selected by HouseBoratheon.
Score
0
a c 80 ) Power supply
July 31, 2012 12:39:12 AM

If you ever want to try water cooling you can get rid of the huge fan. Have you tried looking into alternative options to the side fan? The Cooler Master case had so many options that it made the side fan unnecessary. But good luck and maybe you'll find an option someday and get your side window.
Score
0
July 31, 2012 12:47:38 AM

inzone said:
If you ever want to try water cooling you can get rid of the huge fan. Have you tried looking into alternative options to the side fan? The Cooler Master case had so many options that it made the side fan unnecessary. But good luck and maybe you'll find an option someday and get your side window.

Im not going to mess with Water cooling any time soon..... Way toooooo much money especially when you have to buy water blocks for the gpu which is easily $100...
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
July 31, 2012 11:26:24 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!