Custom HTPC- Sub Woofer Case?

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hi, i had a neat idea a while ago when i was for some reason looking at the little sub woofer attached to my parents Tv... i think it would make a really interesting case for a mini itx computer if done right, and if i can find a similar one to it online somewhere. It is a simple one, with the big speaker on the side and a small bass pipe on the front (looks to be good size for a 60-80mm fan as intake, and the side speaker replaced with plexy glass) and if i could find a very small form factor power supply, even second hand if cheap enough, this coul dbe great for an HTPC or even just a regular everyday computer. any design thoughts? the side speaker has a cloth cover over it but a simple plastic brace between that and the speaker, i could remove the speaker and cloth and put plexi in there so it would make a circular window, slap some leds inside, with fan holes cut out of the back, a small form factor video card slot (can cut out of an old mini compaq evo i have) and the IPO panel could all fit fairly well. any ideas on specific parts to make it on the cheap but HTPC usable end?

this is just for ideas to make it if i ever get someone who wants a neat htpc for their living room or something, i plan on eventually selling the occasional custom computer for side cash, (do NOT get into the "building computers dont make money" arguement, it isntwhat this thread is for and i said nothing of making a living.) Or, even for myself if i ever get the cash for it. i think it would be a great show piece especially if it can do the job. also is there any cheap low profile dvd burners that arent loud or expencive? i can use a laptop hard drive in it as well, the bigest problem is having space for the motherboard and i would love some ideas for fairly good low profile video cards, heat sinks, and most of all, a power supply, any easy way to either get a LONG, THIN low profile power supply? or even a heavier duty laptop power supply?

price range: as cheap as possible but still usable, preferably under 400-500$.