Sign in with
Your question

DIY freon CPU cooler

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2012 11:06:17 PM

so today i was searching youtube and i stumbed upon this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWKG4F8ANu4&feature=cont...

so im thinking, i believe i have on old fridge laying around somewhere (hopefully it's still here lol)... but somthing tells me this is a harder task than that video makes it seem

has anyone attempted somthing along these lines before? i'd love to try it, but im not dead set on it as for it looks like it succeeds my knowledge in quite a few places

More about : diy freon cpu cooler

a c 109 à CPUs
July 30, 2012 11:14:51 PM

Fridges uses 2 big tube coils (condenser and evaporator) and a compressor and some other little bits and bobs.

You have to try and shape the tubes but be warned (depending on where you live) if those pipes snap or crack, the freon will leak out and apparently its against the law to put freon in the atmosphere so do it inside rather than outside just incase a government spies watches you....
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2012 11:18:50 PM

off the canadian government website
Quote:
Can I still use freon 12 in my vehicle's air conditioner?

No person shall refill an air-conditioning unit of a motor vehicle with any refrigerant containing chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs including freon or R-12). This measure is a refill ban, not a use ban. This means that when refrigerant needs to be added to your system (usually because of a leak or a repair), you have to convert your air-conditioner to run on alternative, more ozone friendly refrigerant. Alternatively, you may be able to discontinue use or have your air conditioning system removed from your vehicle.

ok... it's for a vehicle but it still holds true for my use

but they also say there is safer alternatives which is good for my case
m
l
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
July 30, 2012 11:22:36 PM

How big is you old fridge roughly?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2012 11:23:24 PM

ok, after consulting my parent's (im only 16, cut me some slack :p ) they basically said if we leave a gutted fridge with missing freon the government will come and beat us to death with enviromental fines

and to get the freon removed it's gonna be a small fortune as well so im SOL it would seem
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2012 11:24:38 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
How big is you old fridge roughly?

5ft 8" approx tall

about 3ft wide
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 30, 2012 11:24:58 PM

Thankfully, that ban doesn't exist here in SC. All newer cars have R-134A systems now anyway, but it's still legal for a mechanic to refill a Freon system as far as I know (just not an individual on their own because Freon can only be sold to licensed mechanics).

Same goes for household HVAC systems as well. We just had our central AC unit refilled with Freon before Summer.

I've seen that video before myself though, and had the same thoughts about trying it one day. :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2012 11:28:00 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Thankfully, that ban doesn't exist here in SC. All newer cars have R-134A systems now anyway, but it's still legal for a mechanic to refill a Freon system as far as I know (just not an individual on their own because Freon can only be sold to licensed mechanics).

Same goes for household HVAC systems as well. We just had our central AC unit refilled with Freon before Summer.

I've seen that video before myself though, and had the same thought's about trying one day. :lol: 

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/pollutionprevention/w... here is the laws in my area lol, in a nice slide show/PDF sort of thing hehe

if it wasn't for the freon i would be in the clear to start hacking up that system, but you don't want to mess with the government... lol
m
l
a c 140 à CPUs
July 30, 2012 11:31:30 PM

R134a is not freon, it is an almost direct replacement with lower ozone depletion potential.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 30, 2012 11:32:25 PM

InvalidError said:
R134a is not freon, it is an almost direct replacement with lower ozone depletion potential.

Exactly, which is why all new cars, HVAC systems, etc, have R-134a systems now.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2012 11:38:14 PM

InvalidError said:

yep, but i have quite an old fridge, here is a shot of it... im not in the mood for moving stuff so here is what's exposed lol

ok... i'll get the shot up when WINDOWS DECIDES TO RECOGNIZE MY CAMERA :pfff: 
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 30, 2012 11:41:06 PM

nna2 said:
the only issue is that i just spent 120$ on speakers so im in money saving mode lol

:lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2012 11:45:08 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
:lol: 

to make it worse, i live in a commercial building, and the manitoba hydro building is right behind us
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 30, 2012 11:54:08 PM

Apparently its not being sold yet...

Guess you have to wait, thats what you get for spending $120 on speakers LOL.
What speakers did you get anyway?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2012 12:05:04 AM

jay_nar2012 said:
Apparently its not being sold yet...

Guess you have to wait, thats what you get for spending $120 on speakers LOL.
What speakers did you get anyway?

logitech z605 5.1 75W

that's what i get for spending money lol, somthing better always comes out right after
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 12:14:41 AM

So what about your fridge cooling plans....
Except for waiting.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2012 12:16:24 AM

jay_nar2012 said:
So what about your fridge cooling plans....
Except for waiting.

pretty much scrapped, to remove the freon from the system i want to use will cost a small fortune for the professional required
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 12:18:46 AM

How much?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2012 12:21:12 AM

jay_nar2012 said:
How much?

none of the HVAC companies in the area give a definite price, but generally if the word "professional" is involved the price gets jacked up lol
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 12:25:25 AM

Might cost as much as your speakers?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2012 12:37:03 AM

jay_nar2012 said:
Might cost as much as your speakers?

all i can say for sure is it's well out of my budget
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 12:41:51 AM

You know that usb fridge i showed you earlier, it uses something called a cold plate, like one side gets cool one side gets hot and has a heatsink attached, the better the heatsink, the more cooler it gets so you could put that plate on your stock heatsink and it would cool your CPU alot...
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2012 12:51:51 AM

jay_nar2012 said:
You know that usb fridge i showed you earlier, it uses something called a cold plate, like one side gets cool one side gets hot and has a heatsink attached, the better the heatsink, the more cooler it gets so you could put that plate on your stock heatsink and it would cool your CPU alot...

aye, i will probably look into a mini fridge first hehe, that will most likely have a bigger compressor and thus better temps, coz that video was showing -35C - -50C temps with a mini fridge so that would probably be the way to go
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2012 12:58:11 AM

is that your mod? lol if it is, what temps do you get?
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 1:00:27 AM

No, thats not my mod, but its something you could try, search peltier around the web....

Not sure on temps...
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2012 1:05:12 AM

Quote:
As mentioned above, high power usage and high power dissipation are the biggest problems related to peltier cooling. In the days of first-generation Pentium CPUs, readymade peltier/heatsink combinations were widely available, which could be installed and used just like a regular heatsink.

For today's CPUs having a power dissipation of over 100W, building a Peltier CPU cooler using just a peltier element and a heatsink is quite a challenge, and ready-made peltier coolers are scarce and expensive. With such coolers, over 200W of heat may be dissipated inside the case. For modern CPUs, it is better to combine peltier elements with watercooling. In any case, the resulting cooling system will be expensive to run, due to its high power usage, and not very eco-friendly. The large power dissipation will require powerful (and thus loud) fans.

Also, keep in mind that if the cooling of the peltier element fails (e.g. fan failure or pump failure in case of watercooling), the results will be more disasterous that if a conventional cooling system fails. Even if your CPU has a thermal protection that will cause it to shut down if the temperature gets too high, the peltier element may still kill it by continueing to heat it up long after it has shut itself down.

Another problem related to peltier cooling is condensation. Since it is possible to cool components below ambient temperature using peltier elements, condensation may occur, which is something you'll definitely want to avoid - water and electronics don't mix well. The exact temperature at which condensation occurs depends on ambient temperature and on air humidity; we will look at this in more detail in part 3 of the Peltier Guide.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 1:06:05 AM

Alright, scratch that idea then....
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 1:14:46 AM

Your welcome.. :sleep: 
m
l