DIY freon CPU cooler

nna2

Distinguished
so today i was searching youtube and i stumbed upon this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWKG4F8ANu4&feature=context-vrec

so im thinking, i believe i have on old fridge laying around somewhere (hopefully it's still here lol)... but somthing tells me this is a harder task than that video makes it seem

has anyone attempted somthing along these lines before? i'd love to try it, but im not dead set on it as for it looks like it succeeds my knowledge in quite a few places

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Fridges uses 2 big tube coils (condenser and evaporator) and a compressor and some other little bits and bobs.

You have to try and shape the tubes but be warned (depending on where you live) if those pipes snap or crack, the freon will leak out and apparently its against the law to put freon in the atmosphere so do it inside rather than outside just incase a government spies watches you....

nna2

Distinguished
off the canadian government website
Can I still use freon 12 in my vehicle's air conditioner?

No person shall refill an air-conditioning unit of a motor vehicle with any refrigerant containing chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs including freon or R-12). This measure is a refill ban, not a use ban. This means that when refrigerant needs to be added to your system (usually because of a leak or a repair), you have to convert your air-conditioner to run on alternative, more ozone friendly refrigerant. Alternatively, you may be able to discontinue use or have your air conditioning system removed from your vehicle.

ok... it's for a vehicle but it still holds true for my use

but they also say there is safer alternatives which is good for my case

nna2

Distinguished
ok, after consulting my parent's (im only 16, cut me some slack :p) they basically said if we leave a gutted fridge with missing freon the government will come and beat us to death with enviromental fines

and to get the freon removed it's gonna be a small fortune as well so im SOL it would seem

Thankfully, that ban doesn't exist here in SC. All newer cars have R-134A systems now anyway, but it's still legal for a mechanic to refill a Freon system as far as I know (just not an individual on their own because Freon can only be sold to licensed mechanics).

Same goes for household HVAC systems as well. We just had our central AC unit refilled with Freon before Summer.

I've seen that video before myself though, and had the same thoughts about trying it one day. :lol:

nna2

Distinguished

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/pollutionprevention/waste/presentation_w_heeley.pdf here is the laws in my area lol, in a nice slide show/PDF sort of thing hehe

if it wasn't for the freon i would be in the clear to start hacking up that system, but you don't want to mess with the government... lol

nna2

Distinguished

yep, but i have quite an old fridge, here is a shot of it... im not in the mood for moving stuff so here is what's exposed lol

ok... i'll get the shot up when WINDOWS DECIDES TO RECOGNIZE MY CAMERA :pfff:

nna2

Distinguished

logitech z605 5.1 75W

that's what i get for spending money lol, somthing better always comes out right after

nna2

Distinguished

it was 99.99 but ended up around 120 with taxes

nna2

Distinguished

pretty much scrapped, to remove the freon from the system i want to use will cost a small fortune for the professional required