Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Intel i7 3930k Heat Problem

Last response: in CPUs
July 31, 2012 12:37:14 AM

Hello, I recently built a computer with an i7 3930k and a Noctua NH-D14 SE 2011 for the heatsink. I installed everything as it was supposed to be and everything is correctly mounted but i get very high idleing temps (40-48c). Is there anyway of fixing this? I have tried changing the thermal paste multiple times and nothing changed
a c 218 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 1:33:32 AM

Is the cpu running at stock speed or have you overclocked it?
What are you using for thermal paste and are you putting a very thin layer? It wants to be almost a film thickness because if it's too thick it will defeat the purpose of the paste. If you look at a razer blade it wants to be about the sam thickness or less.
The heatink was screwed down so that it doesn't move when you touch it or try to move it.
The fan is spinning ok?
Score
Related resources
July 31, 2012 1:51:01 AM

If your ambient temperature is quite high then those temps you mentioned are not high at all. They really aren't even that bad to begin with.

My 980x cores vary a lot in their temps, they have an 11C range from coolest core to hottest core. Right now the hottest core is at 38C.

O yeah your cooler is better though, I just have a H60 water cooling.
Score
July 31, 2012 2:33:39 AM

inzone said:
Is the cpu running at stock speed or have you overclocked it?
What are you using for thermal paste and are you putting a very thin layer? It wants to be almost a film thickness because if it's too thick it will defeat the purpose of the paste. If you look at a razer blade it wants to be about the sam thickness or less.
The heatink was screwed down so that it doesn't move when you touch it or try to move it.
The fan is spinning ok?

No its stock speeds and i followed Noctua's Instructions exactly and i checked like five times to make sure everything was right and the two thermal pastes i have used are Arctic Silver 5 and the one that comes with the heatsink and they both had the same result, and my ambient temps are only about 20 - 25 c. and the cpu fans are spinning at 600 rpm, and that is the highest they seem to go although they can go faster they just dont.
Score
July 31, 2012 2:37:59 AM

kajabla said:
What are your load temperatures like?
Correct application technique: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

i havent even really tested with load i think the max load i have put on it was like 15% or maybe a but higher playing a game and the temps were close to 58 c and when i applied the thermal paste I used the line method
Score
a c 218 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 2:45:57 AM

The fans should be able to spin faster but maybe thats a noise level feature. The fact that they are spinning should be enough to get the heat dissapated even at that low speed. Unless the cpu is defective there is almost nothing else that could cause those temps.
Don't be insulted by this suggestion but I have to say it because it has happened before and with running out of idea's it is one thing to mention.
I ran into a post once with a similar situation and the problem ended up being that the person forgot to remove the plastic film from the bottom of the heatsink.
Score
July 31, 2012 2:51:05 AM

inzone said:
The fans should be able to spin faster but maybe thats a noise level feature. The fact that they are spinning should be enough to get the heat dissapated even at that low speed. Unless the cpu is defective there is almost nothing else that could cause those temps.
Don't be insulted by this suggestion but I have to say it because it has happened before and with running out of idea's it is one thing to mention.
I ran into a post once with a similar situation and the problem ended up being that the person forgot to remove the plastic film from the bottom of the heatsink.

oh god ill feel like such an idiot wouldnt that be gone by now anyways and i am pretty sure that it didnt have film it just had a plastic cover which i did take off is there someway to boost my fan speed in the bios? maybe that will help? i have a asus sabertooth motherboard could it be that the cpu can not get cooler then my motherboard? (which also runs between 40-45c) and is there a way to lower my mobo temp if that is the problem?
Score
a c 178 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 3:07:24 AM

40-45 idle is nothing at all to be concerned about. The Sandybridge-E chips are massive power hogs. There are half again as many IA-32 cores, twice as many memory channels, two and a half times as many PCIe lanes at twice the bandwidth, etc... A lot more heat generating components

Mine is currently sitting at 41C
Score
a c 218 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 3:11:20 AM

If you go into the bios and the power management tab you can see what options are there for the cpu fan. You did plug the cpu fan into the connector marked cpu fan right? With Asus boards there are a lot of ifferent bios options like Q-fan and others I can't think of right now. If there are not any usefull options in the bios then take the heatsink fan connector and plug it into another fan connector so it runs at full speed to see if that makes a difference.
I'm not sure why your cpu and MB are running at that temp , it makes me think that something is defective.
Score
July 31, 2012 3:12:44 AM

Pinhedd said:
40-45 idle is nothing at all to be concerned about. The Sandybridge-E chips are massive power hogs. There are half again as many IA-32 cores, twice as many memory channels, two and a half times as many PCIe lanes at twice the bandwidth, etc... A lot more heat generating components

Mine is currently sitting at 41C

what should i be worried about temp wise at load of close to 100% or 100%?
Score

Best solution

a c 178 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 3:22:12 AM

torchinq said:
what should i be worried about temp wise at load of close to 100% or 100%?

Depends on your motherboard. Some of the Asus motherboards deliberately alter the Intel turbo boost spec to boost all cores to the maximum bin. Rather than having a turbo set of 3/3/4/5/6/6 they will actually run at 6/6/6/6/6/6/ which will effectively run all cores at 3.8 Ghz on the 3930k by default or 3.9 Ghz on the 3960x. This is the default behaviour on the Rampage IV series, I'm not sure about the Sabertooth though.

What this translates into is that the same chip will appear to run a lot hotter on Asus boards than other boards because they go full throttle on the turbo mode while other manufacturers do not.

Under these conditions you can probably expect each core to hit its throttle point, which is 90C. This is the core temperature and not the package temperature. The difference is important, I suggest that you use HWInfo64 to see all the various sensors at the same time.

At 4Ghz the SBE chips will pull more than 230 watts under Intel burn test conditions. This is beyond the capabilities of almost any air cooler and most closed-loop coolers such as the one that you have. It's even too much for my H100 so I'm going to cannibalize the custom loop from my old PC in the fall.
July 31, 2012 3:25:33 AM

inzone said:
If you go into the bios and the power management tab you can see what options are there for the cpu fan. You did plug the cpu fan into the connector marked cpu fan right? With Asus boards there are a lot of ifferent bios options like Q-fan and others I can't think of right now. If there are not any usefull options in the bios then take the heatsink fan connector and plug it into another fan connector so it runs at full speed to see if that makes a difference.
I'm not sure why your cpu and MB are running at that temp , it makes me think that something is defective.

yeah the cpu fans are plugged into the right parts, and I actually had an issue with this motherboard at first and im not sure if it is because it is defective, what happened is i Had a crucial m4 ssd and it ended up dieing or it never worked and it didnt come up in the bios or in windows so i removed it but that caused my computer to actually say that a major hardware error had occured and i had to try to repair it with windows and that didnt work, and eventually one day it just worked idk, could it be something related to like how much info the mobo has to draw from the graphics card or something like that ?
Score
July 31, 2012 3:28:36 AM

Pinhedd said:
Depends on your motherboard. Some of the Asus motherboards deliberately alter the Intel turbo boost spec to boost all cores to the maximum bin. Rather than having a turbo set of 3/3/4/5/6/6 they will actually run at 6/6/6/6/6/6/ which will effectively run all cores at 3.8 Ghz on the 3930k by default or 3.9 Ghz on the 3960x. This is the default behaviour on the Rampage IV series, I'm not sure about the Sabertooth though.

What this translates into is that the same chip will appear to run a lot hotter on Asus boards than other boards because they go full throttle on the turbo mode while other manufacturers do not.

Under these conditions you can probably expect each core to hit its throttle point, which is 90C. This is the core temperature and not the package temperature. The difference is important, I suggest that you use HWInfo64 to see all the various sensors at the same time.

At 4Ghz the SBE chips will pull more than 230 watts under Intel burn test conditions. This is beyond the capabilities of almost any air cooler and most closed-loop coolers such as the one that you have. It's even too much for my H100 so I'm going to cannibalize the custom loop from my old PC in the fall.

your right that i only have a way to check the individual tempratures of each core and i do not check the overall temprature of the cpu itself, and what i am most worried about is I do alot of video editing so i do alot of rending with programs like after effects and c4d (a 3d modeling program) should my gpu do most of the rendering work for 3d or is that still mostly on my cpu?
Score
a c 178 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 3:40:12 AM

torchinq said:
your right that i only have a way to check the individual tempratures of each core and i do not check the overall temprature of the cpu itself, and what i am most worried about is I do alot of video editing so i do alot of rending with programs like after effects and c4d (a 3d modeling program) should my gpu do most of the rendering work for 3d or is that still mostly on my cpu?

I'm not at all an authority on video editing but so far as I know it's mostly CPU based.]

Use HWInfo64 for all your monitoring needs. The presentation is definitely a bit of information overload but it's very thorough and regularly updated. Some of the sensors may not work right but it's the best tool for the job
Score
July 31, 2012 3:41:35 AM

Pinhedd said:
I'm not at all an authority on video editing but so far as I know it's mostly CPU based.]

Use HWInfo64 for all your monitoring needs. The presentation is definitely a bit of information overload but it's very thorough and regularly updated. Some of the sensors may not work right but it's the best tool for the job

should i just search that or do you have a link for it?
Score
a c 178 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 3:42:09 AM

http://www.hwinfo.com/download64.html

There's a 32 bit version as well, make sure you get the 64 bit one

EDIT: a quick note. Do not run more than one monitoring program at the same time. Many of them make low level system calls which can crash your computer if two of them do it at the same time.
Score
July 31, 2012 3:52:27 AM

Pinhedd said:
http://www.hwinfo.com/download64.html

There's a 32 bit version as well, make sure you get the 64 bit one

EDIT: a quick note. Do not run more than one monitoring program at the same time. Many of them make low level system calls which can crash your computer if two of them do it at the same time.

okay thanks :) 
Score
July 31, 2012 5:14:49 AM

Best answer selected by Torchinq.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2012 11:25:43 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
Related resources
!