Enable logon with no login server

Status
Not open for further replies.

duleserbia

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hi,

I am wondering how to enable on win 7 machine to logon with no login server(no eth cable, no wifi to DC)?
Why do I ask this?
We have one laptop that on weekends different users take the laptop home, and if they haven't logged on to laptop before taking the laptop home - they won't be able to logon to laptop with their user..
And for example I am in the office and logon to laptop with DC being reacheable, logoff, give the laptop to other user, he logs on and then log off - only the other user will be able to logon to laptop if there is no connectivity to our DC.
What should I do to make all cached users logon to this laptop when there is no DC?
This was totally ok on win xp - who ever loged once on laptop he could always logon to laptop no matter if DC was reachable or not..

TBH the best would IMO would be to make a local non-admin account.

Either that, or build an off-network laptop that does not connect to the DC with a local non admin account.

Whats the point of having a networked laptop if it's going to be continually used off network? I think you are just making things more complicated than they need to be.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is true, but when connected to the domain, all domain controlled updates/security/config/etc could be updated/managed. Lots of ways to skin this cat, no doubt.

duleserbia

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

Already tried that but didn't help - it was configured with 10, and I have changed it to 25 but didn't help..

duleserbia

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

Unfortunately that kind of user (local non-admin) won't be able to access some of applications that we use.
For example one application works only if our company network is available.
Offcourse off-network would have the sam problem I already pointed.

Well that networked laptop is not going to be used mostly offline, because some application don't work as I have already written.
Only the moment it is logged from the home of the company user, after he logs that he gets to the internet over 3g/adsl and over CiscoVPN client (must have user and computer certificate) to the company network.

One way to solve it is for user to log on to laptop with it's user before he leaves company, but it's not really a problem solver it's more like a thing we can do until we solve it.
As i have written before we had win XP and we didn't have this problems.

Lavabo

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
I had this problem and took many hours to troubleshoot it
The user credential was like:
jogélinas@domain...
Then the windows was creating a profile with jogélinas ....
When wired to network or wifi present, the user could log with jogelinas (without é) but whenever there was no network, no login access possible.
I resolved it when i deleted the user account and the local windows profile,... then recreate it with JOGELINAS .. no more french accent É

Then now its perfect, the credentials seems to be cached.
So ill say check your local character configuration that is different from plain English
Michel

Status
Not open for further replies.