Sign in with
Your question

Blue screen after Sleep mode (and other times)

Last response: in Systems
April 18, 2012 1:05:49 AM

Not sure where to post this, couldn't find just a "System Troubleshooting" topic...

Anyway, my computer that I built 2 months ago (spec here: http://imgur.com/pABr7) has been blue-screening far more than a new computer should, so I figured I should come here. There's a lot of different symptomps, causing me to think that there may actually be 2 or more separate problems, but here's all the things I've found - hopefully someone can help me diagnose the issue(s).

1) Starting up after Sleep mode, it crashes frequently (~50% of the time) within 1-2 minutes of startup. I can usually tell when it'll crash because the computer becomes essentially non-responsive. Everything stops working and then it blue screens.
2) There are other blue screens from time to time, seemingly at random.
3) When the blue screen appears, there's two cases. It'll either say something like "saving crash dump data to disk" and successfully save it 0-100%, or it'll say that but be unable to save anything.
4) In the second case, after I restart, Windows won't load. I'll just see the black DOS screen with a blinking white underscore. This usually goes away quickly (waiting 5 minutes or so), but I've had to disconnect and reconnect the hard drive before to make it work.

3 and 4 lead me to believe that there may be a hard drive issue, but that doesn't explain the random blue screens where the computer restarts and Windows loads fine - and also why this seems to happen a LOT after I put it into Sleep mode.

I know it's a bit of a "needle in a haystack" issue, but I'm hoping someone can help me out. :) 
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
April 18, 2012 12:42:26 PM

What PSU do you have?
April 18, 2012 12:51:46 PM

If you have a ssd turn off hybrid sleep mode. Its a known issue.
Related resources
April 18, 2012 8:21:29 PM

Raiddinn said:
What PSU do you have?

cbrunnem said:
If you have a ssd turn off hybrid sleep mode. Its a known issue.

Hm, the imgur link to my spec is broken for some reason. Anyway, here it is:

Intel Core i5 2500K oveclocked to 4.5 GHz with a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus fan
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 motherboard
Corsair XMS3 Dominator DDR3 2x4GB RAM
Geforce GTX 570 GPU
Coolermaster CM 690 II Basic case
Seasonic S12II 620W PSU
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

So, no, I don't have an SDD and my PSU is 620W.
April 18, 2012 8:48:12 PM

BSODs have lots of causes that can only be determined by analyzing the BSOD dumps. But lets face it, you're having a lot of problems, so fixing this would be difficult.

It's either hardware or software. I recommend reinstalling Windows. If it works, then it was software and congratz. If it still bluescreens, then it's hardware. If it's HW, then chances are it's one piece causing the failure.

You can usually find out what piece by the BSOD message. Most commonly in my experience it's the HDD because of its moving parts. PSU is also a common culprit. If you have another desktop and can swap parts then you can diagnose that way.
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
April 19, 2012 12:55:24 AM

Try running MemTest86+ and Aida64 and tell me if either one of those produce errors or crashes.
!