Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Hi, I have a strange issue with my PC. First of all, here are the specs:
GFX: Two Gigabyte 6970 Windforce in Crossfire
CPU: i7 2600k @stock
RAM: 8GB Team Elite RAM
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Pro Gen3 Fatal1ty
Power Supply: Cougar 1000W
Case NZXT Phantom (Put Top 200MM on side to cool GFX Cards, haven't added any more than the stock fans yet)
ASUS DVD Drive
500GB 7200RPM HD

Here's the issue:
GPU1 Has a max load temp of ~70C
GPU2 Has a max load temp of ???C because I end the Heaven Benchmark v2.5 before it goes above 100C.
The air coming out the sides of GPU1 is hot.
The air coming out the sides of GPU2 is pretty cool for a 100C+ card, much much cooler than GPU1!

Questions:
1. What's going on here?
2. How should I go about resolving it? RMA the extremely hot card?

Thanks,
Matt

edited for clarity

Matt34533

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Switched them all around in every combination possible, crossfired and not crossfired.
One Card (the SAME card) always overheats while the other stays at 60C when alone and 70C when crossfired.
I'm sure that it is the one card that's having issues. Even when its by itself.
And the way I understand it, GPU1 should have higher temps since it has less space to suck in air than GPU2 but that is not the case.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
More importantly, the top card is pulling in the rising heat from the bottom card. You don't need much space between for the fan to draw in air. Air molecules are quite small... ;)
Yes, it sounds like one of your cards is faulty. If still under warranty, RMA. If not, remove the cover and take the HS off the GPU, clean the thermal compund from both, and use some Arctic 5.

Matt34533

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

Its still under warranty however here's what happened:
I purchased these cards "New" from a guy who said he wanted to water cool but they weren't compatible with water blocks. Maybe he took off the cooler to try it out on the one that's having temperature issues and botched the reinstall job. If that's the case what do you guys think I should do? Is it still under warranty or is that voided?

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

tough one...can you still get a hold of the guy you purchased them from and ask if he did indeed remove them and what he did to reset the cooler to the gpu?

might also want to contact gigabyte and ask what there warranty policy is regarding aftermarket coolers.I know with sapphire it voids the warranty.

Matt34533

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

Yeah, I'm going to try giving the guy a call today around noon and tell him that I need to know what he really did with the cards.

Matt34533

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

Thanks for the confirmation, now I can be 100% sure it is in fact the card.

Matt34533

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

That's what I'm hoping. The guy moved to Germany(hes in the military) so i have to email him.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you're sending it to Gigabyte, just be sure to follow their RMA instructions to the letter. They may not accept it unless they first issue the RMA number for to you to use in labeling the pkg. Probably even provide a mailing label printout with bar code, etc.

joenanez

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Always make sure ur case has good airflow. And make sure auto fan speed goes up with temp. If not set it higher to lower temp. IF u test both card single and they work u know its a problem with dead hot air inside computer. The phantom cases r really good when u add some high cfm fans to it. Most important is to get that hot air out of the gpu area.

Matt34533

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
It actually turned out that on gpu 1 there was a thermal pad between the thermal paste and the gpu! It was the strangest thing, so I removed it and applied some thermal paste and everything works great now.

TRENDING THREADS