Doing an upgrade, is this slightly old PSU worth keeping?

shadyj

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
I am upgrading almost all the component in my PC, and was wondering whether I should upgrade the power supply. I made a post about it in the home built section which didn't get as much attention as I had hoped for. That post is here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/356684-31-looking-gaming-system-including-roughly-1000

The power supply I have is a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750: http://www.pcpower.com/products/description/Silencer_750_Quad_Red-Recertified_/index.html
I know that power supply is a very good one, but it is slightly old, like maybe four or five years old by now. I am hoping this new build will last four or five years, so do you think its worth it to buy a new one for this reason? As I said in that thread, I do not want the PSU to fry something in my computer down the line due to some age-related failure. Keep in mind also I would really rather not spend the extra money if I don't have to, and this 750 Silencer is working just fine right now. Do you think this PSU has another 4 or 5 years in it?

Solution
@OP
What prevented me from getting this unit was that it wasn't modular. Nowadays 750W is perfect enough to run any very high end card in CF or SLI, if you don't care about the power being mouldar just continue with it until it gets completely exhausted, I bet this PSU hasn't reached a load above 350W which makes it a pretty strong one.

AxelTDH

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
When a PSU gets to be 4 or 5 years old it is much more inclined to fail. Just yesterday there there was a post on the forum from a guy whose 5 year old PSU had died and took the rest of the PC with it. It is worth the money to get a new PSU. I recommend the brand Corsair, they make excellent PSUs. If there is one part of a computer you should not cut corners on it is the PSU.

That would be in case of having a cheap Chinese junk PSU, quality branded PSUs have OCP, OVP, OSP and so on.......

@OP
What prevented me from getting this unit was that it wasn't modular. Nowadays 750W is perfect enough to run any very high end card in CF or SLI, if you don't care about the power being mouldar just continue with it until it gets completely exhausted, I bet this PSU hasn't reached a load above 350W which makes it a pretty strong one.

Solution

shadyj

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012

Hi, what is OCP, OVP, OSP and so on?

By the way, the computer has been on a UPS with line conditioning, so I don't really think it has been abused in that respect, although I have used the computer a lot since I built it, so it has seen a lot of hours of use.