New 20D with time and date correctly set?....is it really ..

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 21, 2005 9:02:13 PM

Folks,

I just received a new 20D. However, I saw that the time and date were
correctly set! This leads me to believe I am not the first owner of
this camera. Does that conclusion make sense?

Thanks

June 21, 2005 9:22:38 PM

>This leads me to believe I am not the first owner of
>this camera. Does that conclusion make sense?

You could also conclude that they live in the same time zone, if the
time is correct to the hour.

The Pro series Canon bodies have a field in the EXIF data showing the
total number of shutter actuations, readable by programs like the
Capture One RAW converter. It would be nice if all digital cameras
recorded this info, then you'd know for sure.

Bill
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 11:28:37 PM

The packaging seemed fine. The dealer I bought it from is in the same
time zone. I have decided to take the cautious route and have already
arranged to exchange the camera in person.
Thanks for the input folks.

June 22, 2005 12:15:01 AM

I found a little freeware utility called Exif Viewer somewhere that
pulls that up (number of shots is found by checking the data on the
last picture you took) on my D70 and I think it does it for any camera
that records EXIF data. I think you can find it at Cnet or Tucows.
Maybe somebody else can help, since I think I got the URL here to begin
with.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 12:16:37 AM

<winhag@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> I just received a new 20D. However, I saw that the time and date were
> correctly set! This leads me to believe I am not the first owner of
> this camera. Does that conclusion make sense?

Perhaps. Did the packaging seem to be pristine or thrown back together?

Canon does not seal their boxes, by the way.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 12:58:56 PM

>David J. Littleboy writes ...
>
>I suspect that Canon sets the date and time correctly in many of their
>cameras nowadays. My 300D came out of a clearly never opened box
>reporting the correct time.

But you are probably in the same time zone as the Canon factory, right?
Even if they set the proper time for the US market it's still only 1
in 4 that they got the right time zone.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:54:14 PM

<winhag@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The packaging seemed fine. The dealer I bought it from is in the same
> time zone. I have decided to take the cautious route and have already
> arranged to exchange the camera in person.
> Thanks for the input folks.

I suspect that Canon sets the date and time correctly in many of their
cameras nowadays. My 300D came out of a clearly never opened box reporting
the correct time. IMHO, a nice touch.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:54:15 PM

DAvid,
I bought my 350D last Saturday and it had the time and everything set.
Marcel

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message
news:D 9ak8p$2lt$1@nnrp.gol.com...
> <winhag@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > The packaging seemed fine. The dealer I bought it from is in the same
> > time zone. I have decided to take the cautious route and have already
> > arranged to exchange the camera in person.
> > Thanks for the input folks.
>
> I suspect that Canon sets the date and time correctly in many of their
> cameras nowadays. My 300D came out of a clearly never opened box reporting
> the correct time. IMHO, a nice touch.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 4:31:34 PM

On 22 Jun 2005 08:58:56 -0700, Bill Hilton wrote:

> Even if they set the proper time for the US market it's still only 1
> in 4 that they got the right time zone.

Probably better than 1 in 4 if I'm correct in supposing that the
largest number of purchases are from the west and east coasts. I've
also noticed that when some electronic products give you a limited
choice of time zones (limited to the 4 main U.S. zones), the default
has almost always been Pacific Time. So while you can't know in
advance which of the 4 time zones a particular camera will end up
in, the percentage of them that don't require the owner to correct
the time zone setting should be greater than 25%. But you're
basically correct, as I'd be surprised if the actual percentage was
greater than 35%.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:00:22 PM

Bill Hilton wrote:
>>David J. Littleboy writes ...
>>
>>I suspect that Canon sets the date and time correctly in many of their
>>cameras nowadays. My 300D came out of a clearly never opened box
>>reporting the correct time.
>

> But you are probably in the same time zone as the Canon factory, right?
> Even if they set the proper time for the US market it's still only 1
> in 4 that they got the right time zone.

It must be the newest models with the secret! built in GPS. It not only
phones home and tells Canon your whereabouts any time the camera is on,
it downloads new mapping info in the background. Keeping exact time is a
minor piece of cake.....

--
John McWilliams

After three years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that brought
tears to my eyes. He said, "No hablo inglés, Señor."
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:15:53 AM

The rest of the story is....I went back to the dealer. I had them bring
up two other fresh cameras and they both
had the correct time/date set!! They believed that when Canon tests the
cams, they set them up and do not
always clear everything out. In any case this convinced me that my
camera was in fact new and I ended up
keeping the original one I received!

June 23, 2005 9:38:46 AM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:58:56 -0700, Bill Hilton wrote:

>>David J. Littleboy writes ...
>>
>>I suspect that Canon sets the date and time correctly in many of their
>>cameras nowadays. My 300D came out of a clearly never opened box
>>reporting the correct time.
>
> But you are probably in the same time zone as the Canon factory, right?
> Even if they set the proper time for the US market it's still only 1
> in 4 that they got the right time zone.
It could be the distributors that set up the time or the factory set up
the time for the area they are going to be sold in. Mine was set up
correctly and Canon, as far as I am aware, do not make the 350D in the UK.

--
neil
delete delete to reply

<winhag@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> I just received a new 20D. However, I saw that the time and date were
> correctly set! This leads me to believe I am not the first owner of
> this camera. Does that conclusion make sense?
>
> Thanks

I had to set my one....
!