Is my old graphics card bad?

NotMyUsername

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
I tried to start up an old PC which I haven't used in about a year or two. It issued a long beep and three short ones. Searching the web, this seems to indicates that something is wrong with the graphics card.

I pulled and re-seated the graphics card. Did not help.

How can I confirm whether the graphics card is working or (more likely) not cheaply and easily? Can graphics card replacements be purchased for an old PC from back in the Windows Vista days (and maybe even the OS before that).

I have no idea what CPU in that PC is, or anything else about it. I don't have another PC to put the card into (maybe my dad's). I know only how to use a screwdriver - I read about them on the internet - so I could open it and re-seat the graphics card. So please speak slowly.

Thanks for your help.

Solution
This is your computer

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=71010

these are your specs

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07045&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=71010

That thing is all sorts of old. Well, if you really need to use that computer you can go to CompUSA and buy a cheap AGP or PCI card. Do not get a PCI-E card since that PC dose not have a slot for it. Take out your old video card and try it. Keep in mind though that your computer is rather old. The motherboard may just be damaged (leaky capacitors or shorted out) and if that's the case there is no point in spending any money on it -_-.
Yup, graphics cards can be replaced rather easily. As long as your PC is only 3-4 years old it most likely is using PCI-E. If it's using AGP that's a bit more of a problem. Anyway, you can get more help if you list your complete specs. If you have onboard VGA it may be possible to enable it by resetting the BIOS and taking out your dedicated video card.

If you have a store bought it computer it should have a model number somewhere like HP Pavillion 6554 or something. If it's custom built then you will have to open it up and search for the model number on the motherboard. Also take account of the PSU label and anything else you find while your in there. Disconnect it first of course :D

NotMyUsername

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

HP Pavilion 750n. I can't see the numbers on the CPU.

NotMyUsername

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

I have the graphics card out. I presume that's what you call the GPU. The "VGA/DVI/HDMI" must be the cable from the monitor. I don't see any outlets inside the case which would fit the VGA/DVI/HDMI cable.

A test occurred to me. I started the computer without the graphics card in it. It made the exact same beeping pattern as with the graphics card in. In other words, whether the graphics card is in or out, the system makes the one long and three short beeps.

The graphics card doesn't fit in any other slot, so I can't test if the slot is not detecting the card. I guess I will have to replace it to find out. Is there an easy way to find the right type of card?

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

OK.

I looked around and it seems that it is most definitely a problem with your GPU. The one long beep followed by three short beeps is standard for ASUS motherboards when the display adapter fails.

This is your computer

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=71010

these are your specs

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07045&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=71010

That thing is all sorts of old. Well, if you really need to use that computer you can go to CompUSA and buy a cheap AGP or PCI card. Do not get a PCI-E card since that PC dose not have a slot for it. Take out your old video card and try it. Keep in mind though that your computer is rather old. The motherboard may just be damaged (leaky capacitors or shorted out) and if that's the case there is no point in spending any money on it -_-.

Solution

NotMyUsername

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Wow, I can't believe all the help on here.

I bought a $30 AGP card and installed it into the PC. Now, when I start the PC, I no longer get the beeps. But nothing is displayed on the monitor. The monitor is plugged into the VGA (the smaller) port, not the DVI port.

The PC starts, the fan is spinning, but the monitor remains in standby (or lowe power) mode. I even turned the monitor on and off, but it's still not receiving any signal.

The card I bought is a Diamond Stealth S120, with AGP 250MB DDR, by ATI.

Shouldn't the monitor at least display something? Even if there's no OS installed, you'd think it would display something, right? Any ideas what could be wrong?

NotMyUsername

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Turns out I didn't seat it properly. It's working now.

So the upshot is that for $30 measly bucks I got a system that I can install Linux on and play around to my heart's content! Thanks for all the help, Tomshardware users.