Workstation PC help

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Workstations
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 18, 2012 3:13:05 AM

So I have a budget of 15K for a new system build and it is going to be a business workstation mainly for 3D design on 3DS Max and Maya, and it will also be used for CryEngine 3 dev purposes and I wanted to know if there are any good builds/parts that I should know. I am new into workstations and do not want to dump 15K down the drain on something useless.

More about : workstation

a b B Homebuilt system
April 18, 2012 3:29:51 AM

If you're spending that much on a workstation you definitely don't want to be building it yourself.

Dell has been a bit slow on the draw when it comes to adopting the new Sandybridge processors into their workstation lineup but HP already has some very nice offerings in their Z820 workstation lineup

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/W...

Here's where you can go to customize one

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/ctoBases.asp?oi=E9CED&...

You should probably call them up for more information

Keep in mind that since this is a business workstation you definitely do not want it to fail. As tempting as it is to want to build it yourself, let them do it. Make sure you get a decent support package too
m
l
April 18, 2012 3:44:05 AM

Pinhedd said:
If you're spending that much on a workstation you definitely don't want to be building it yourself.

Dell has been a bit slow on the draw when it comes to adopting the new Sandybridge processors into their workstation lineup but HP already has some very nice offerings in their Z820 workstation lineup

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/W...

Here's where you can go to customize one

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/ctoBases.asp?oi=E9CED&...

You should probably call them up for more information

Keep in mind that since this is a business workstation you definitely do not want it to fail. As tempting as it is to want to build it yourself, let them do it. Make sure you get a decent support package too

Well I also did look into Maingear and Origin for professional use, but should I stick with HP instead? And I do see your point on the build it yourself, but what parts should I put in for the uses and should I stick to Nvidia for PhysX and CUDA or AMD for OpenCL and their technologies? Also for the uses I mentioned should I go up to Xeon or is an i7 fine and if I do go Xeon will I need dual socket? I have the 15K budget but I still want to save as much as I can.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 18, 2012 3:53:53 AM

rishiswaz said:
Well I also did look into Maingear and Origin for professional use, but should I stick with HP instead? And I do see your point on the build it yourself, but what parts should I put in for the uses and should I stick to Nvidia for PhysX and CUDA or AMD for OpenCL and their technologies? Also for the uses I mentioned should I go up to Xeon or is an i7 fine and if I do go Xeon will I need dual socket? I have the 15K budget but I still want to save as much as I can.

the best way to save $$$ is to build it yourself.

keep plugging away on here until you run across someone that has actually experience on what you are looking for. if you put it together yourself with the guidance of an experienced builder, it will less likely fail on you than having to deal with tech support on the other end of the phone.
m
l
April 18, 2012 4:21:19 AM

Anonymous said:
the best way to save $$$ is to build it yourself.

Yeah but I run a business I would much rather deal with tech support for 3 hours than have 1 incompatible part or something assembled wrong leading to a waste of all that money. Like I do not need a Tesla IO card but do I need 4GB GDDR5 or would 2 be good enough for what I am doing, or the age old graphics card question AMD vs Nvidia. In the regular market I stick to AMD but with CUDA and PhsyX I am not sure if Nvidia is better or if the programs I use will even make use of those technologies.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 18, 2012 2:39:28 PM

hello op

you should consider the mac pro or some 2 socket xeons workstation offered by manufactures like hp , dell , etc.

if you want a system which will give most bang for buck and still have a very big punch then the best option to go is to do it yourself :D 

their are mainly two options

1. a 2P or 4p xeon workstation

or

2. an i7 array like ones super computers have it.

for the first one the newer xeons and the srx can give a lot of horse power in a single build.

15k seems a big budget but you can be creative

build 2 array of i7

the slave system/node

intel i7 3930k
asrock x79 extreme 4
corsair vengence 4x4 gb 1600mhz ddr3 ram
cm hyper 212 evo
seasonic 350w 80+ bronze psu

the above system will cost about ~$1000

so make 5-7 system like the above ones

intel i7 3930k
asrock x79 extreme 4
corsair vengence 4x4 gb 1600mhz ddr3 ram
cm hyper 212 evo
pny quadro 4000x2 or 6000
seasonic x-850w 80+ gold psu
asus 24x dvd writer
intel 520 180gb ssd
wd carvier black 2tb in raid

for the case ether make custom build or buy some server rack trolley or something like that

i wont recommend any wc on this type of build

this build will be very powerfull than 12 core mac pro

then the system specs will be after total

48 core 128gb ram workstation. :o 
m
l
!