Sign in with
Your question

Please Help!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 31, 2012 5:09:49 AM

Whats up guy. I currently have a Pentium Dual Core E5700 overclocked to GHz. That's paired with a Geforce GTS 250 and GB of ram. I want to know if i upgraded to a quad core, will i see a significant gain in CPU heavy games such as gta 4. Oh yeah. @1080P res

More about : question

a c 283 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 5:20:08 AM

Yes and no. Yes, a quad will probably help some, BUT, at that res, the GPU is WAY more important and the GTS 250 can't really keep up anyway.

Honestly, it would be best to upgrade the whole system at this point, especially for a lot of gaming at that res. The thing is, a current dual core (i3 2100 (2 Cores/4 Threads) for example), would be plenty, but it's gonna take a much stronger GPU to accomplish 1080p at higher quality settings, for most games.
m
l
July 31, 2012 5:25:27 AM

idk. i do all my gaming at that res and now i just want more frame rate. i normally get about 50fps on COD MW3. and about 25 to 30 in gta 4

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yes and no. Yes, a quad will probably help some, BUT, at that res, the GPU is WAY more important and the GTS 250 can't really keep up anyway.

Honestly, it would be best to upgrade the whole system at this point, especially for a lot of gaming at that res. The thing is, a current dual core (i3 2100 (2 Cores/4 Threads) for example), would be plenty, but it's gonna take a much stronger GPU to accomplish 1080p at higher quality settings, for most games.

m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 5:29:18 AM

zackarytj said:
idk. i do all my gaming at that res and now i just want more frame rate. i normally get about 50fps on COD MW3. and about 25 to 30 in gta 4

A better GPU is the best "first" upgrade option then. Your system is actually pretty decently balanced for the moment and a better GPU will make the CPU become the bottleneck, but, like I said, at that res, the GPU is MUCH more important than the CPU.

If you can only afford to upgrade one or the other, the GPU is the way to go.

BTW, GTA 4 is one of the worst optimized games ever written, and it doesn't run great even on better than average hardware.
m
l
!