I think my graphics card "kicked the bucket"?

EdwardThe3rd

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Specs:
Windows 7 32bit home premium
Intel Core i5 650 3.20ghz
8gig installed RAM (3.37 usable - w32bit)
nvidia geforce GT430 GPU (connected to monitor via standard HMDI)
(motherboard: gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H)

While playing Tribes Ascend yesterday, my screen turned black (I don't recall whether it was black display, or turned off) but shortly after my monitor went into standby mode, I didn't think much of it and in a spurt of impatience I powered down my PC by the off switch.

Upon powering up my PC, my monitor displays "no signal" and then goes into standby, so I do the usual reboot on/off/on/off/on/off, nothing, all fans are working (including GPU fan), all lights are on, system appears to power up fine, just no display via the GPU.

At first I figure there was something wrong with the monitor, so I hooked my PC up to my television (Graphics card -> hdmi -> TV)... no signal, concluding my monitor is fine.

I opened my PC and removed the graphics card giving it a thorough inspection, twist of the fan, searching for any signs of damage, everything appears in order.

So I re-inserted the card, hooked the PC up to the monitor and powered it back up (leaving the case open to see all internals working as intended), I gave the card a little nudge and I got some display (a blurring static screen looking like a piece of modern art), I rebooted the PC and vwallah.. it's working.

I thought it was fixed, so I get back on my PC, display appears fine... 5 minutes later the my monitor goes back into standby... reboot... "no signal", it's happened again.

I fiddle with the card again, can't smell any burning, appears fine fan spinning etc, no signal, and it hasn't worked since.

I stripped down my PC to the very last wire, and cleaned "everything", it's spotless, I cleaned the drives, all mobo sockets, the cr2020 battery, everything, I then left it separated in clean storage overnight.

I rebuilt the machine today, and still the graphics card doesn't display, it is not detected by device manager, nvidia control panel or drivers, it's as though I have no graphics card in the machine.

I'm currently using Intel integrated graphics (via HDMI cable), crappy resolution and no games :cry:

I haven't tried the card via DVI, so it could be a HDMI port fault, no means of testing at the moment, considering the fan on the card still works it's a possibility, but unlikely I fear the card has gone kaput, or even worse the motherboard.

I'm worried this may be a motherboard problem and not a graphics card problem, I do hope it's the graphics card as it's a much simpler problem to fix, either way what's your take on this? hope my wall of text was readable sorry for boring you if I did, really appreciate a few words of expertise.

Ed.

EdwardThe3rd

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
I'll finally get around to buying a decent card, I've already got my eyes on a nice GTX560, maybe even go for a 580 who knows, just hope it's not a mobo problem.

Try the gpu in another pc that will narrow things down.
If the card is done and out of warranty oh well!
If you're on a budget and need a new gpu the 5670/6670 is alot better.
The GT 430 certainly can't be considered a gaming card of any note.

What psu do you have?

EdwardThe3rd

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Of course the 430 isn't a gaming card, but I play my battlefields, FIFA and GTAs on PS3, the card did it's due for the PC games I played, team fortress 2, counter strike, tribes ascend etc.

I did always intend to upgrade the card but I just never got around to it, now I've got an inevitable excuse.. just want to be sure it's not a new mobo I need.

My PSU is an EZcool supersilent 500W (though with a new card I will be upgrading my PSU)

Linither

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
ok fair if your assuming something is wrong with your gpu and your going to toss it, one thing you can do to get a few months of life back in it is to remove the plastic shroud and heat sink and then try the "oven trick" bake the card at 1 380-390 f for a few minutes (I don't remember how long 7-8 I think just Google 'oven trick'" what this does is it melts the soldering but nothing else which repairs any micro fissures that may have formed without damaging other components, after that reattach the heat sink and shroud and try the card again.

aznplayer213

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
hm... its not ur psu. pretty sure but u need to really test the gpu first on a different pc. like an actual death of a gpu (seen it before) is when your card starts artifacting very hard. your card sounds like it didnt truly burn out....

That would be a good idea i've never heard of EZcool.