How much ambient temps affect cpu temps.

ManixZero

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Hello,
I live in Las Vegas NV, where it can get quite hot, and while the AC in our home does its job, my room tends to get the hottest at a peak of about 85 ambient room temp!

Just installed a new CPU cooler and I was wondering just how much the ambient temp affects the cpu?

Solution
Expect ambient temperatures to DIRECTLY effect system temperature, a 5 degree rise in ambient should equate to a 5 degree rise in system temp.

The cooler can only bring the system as cool as the ambient air, for the ambient air is what's being used to dissipate the heat from the heatsink.

Also take into mind that the air is cooler near the ground, if you have your PC lower to the ground, this may also effect temperature.

In the winter, by opening and closing my windows during gaming I am capable of effecting how much I can overclock my GPU due to the temperature difference, this also applies to the summer with AC on/off.

I haven't ever seen an exact measurement on it, and I think it may be slightly different for everyone, but ambient temps do tend to affect system temps a good bit.

For me, at 73F room temp, my 2500K with my 212 Evo idles at 27-28C, but at 84F room temp, it idles at 35-36C. That's just my own experience with my hardware though, so your experience may differ somewhat.

ManixZero

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Thank you for the quick reply! I installed a new cpu cooler and it seems the idle temps are staying the same as before, although at full load it stays about 55c , I suppose the next solution is to lower the room temp.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Expect ambient temperatures to DIRECTLY effect system temperature, a 5 degree rise in ambient should equate to a 5 degree rise in system temp.

The cooler can only bring the system as cool as the ambient air, for the ambient air is what's being used to dissipate the heat from the heatsink.

Also take into mind that the air is cooler near the ground, if you have your PC lower to the ground, this may also effect temperature.

In the winter, by opening and closing my windows during gaming I am capable of effecting how much I can overclock my GPU due to the temperature difference, this also applies to the summer with AC on/off.

85 doesn't sound too terrible, my room often hits above 100F due to poor room circulation.... That and I own a GTX 480. But seriously it's a sauna here in the summer.

Solution