Maybe CPU problems...

xBUNx

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
So i was building my first pc, put the cpu in the MB, the Hyper 212 on, ram, GPU, and PSU and did a test run. The PSU is working because there is a light that lights up on the MB. I short it out to turn it on and no fans run, nothing pops up on the screen, nothing. Is my CPU/MB dead? Any ideas? Help!

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006

There are many possibilities but bad PSU is at the top of the list.

Q

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006

Nice to hear you found the solution. Can you tell us a bit more about how you found that out?

Q

xBUNx

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
It didnt kill anything ( that I know of). But first off this is the PSU that I decided to get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016 . But while looking at my computer not know what the heck is wrong with it (seeing as I replaced the MB and CPU and still nothing) I was able to get a friend to come over with the same PSU and we plugged it in. Boom. It worked. So I plugged my PSU into his working PC and same thing, flash of the LEDs and twitch of the fans. So it was confirmed that the PSU was the problem, but it was supplying power. SO we looked at the cables. His 6pin connector has the pins forming a 'T' while mine was forming a 'Z'....and had 2 cables going to one pin...