Sign in with
Your question

AMD motherboard suggestion

Last response: in Systems
April 18, 2012 4:01:15 AM

-- Looking for suggestion for budget AM3 or AM3+ motherboard (replacement part) for around 100$ or less that'll be used for general computer use and moderate gaming.

My friend knocked his computer over pretty hard, now the computer has some stability issues (locks up after a few minutes and then enters a restart-1sec boot-restart cycle; requires cooldown period before it run for a few minutes again). With troubleshooting, I found that the problem only occurs when the ram is in the dual channel config and that it runs for hours under single channel (RAM is good, no overheating). I assume this means the motherboard is broken and the easiest/cheapest option is to just replace the board with an AM3 or AM3+.

Here's existing hardware:
MB BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 AM3
VGA GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD5850
PSU ANTEC 650W
CPU AMD|PH II X4 955BE 3.2G AM3
MEM 2x2gb ADATA 1600
HD 500G|SAMSUNG HD502HJ
DVD BURN SONY|AD-7240S-0B
ATX case

The PC just hit 2 years old and was built as a budget gaming rig--he doesnt really want to do any significant part replacement at this point (keep it around $100 or less--kinda rules out going with intel).

Any recommendations for an AM3 or AM3+ board?

maybe:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 18, 2012 7:28:26 AM

Sure, that's a fine board. It seems a bit odd to me though, these symptoms.

I suggest you breadboard the system before you get carried away. See if it all runs normally outside the case.
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a c 88 V Motherboard
April 18, 2012 7:34:35 AM

Its unlikely there is damage to the mb causing the problem .

Dust or poor connections internally might be the cause . Strip it down , check and clean everything

But if you need a new mb then ASUS M5A97
m
l
!