AMD motherboard suggestion

-- Looking for suggestion for budget AM3 or AM3+ motherboard (replacement part) for around 100$ or less that'll be used for general computer use and moderate gaming.

My friend knocked his computer over pretty hard, now the computer has some stability issues (locks up after a few minutes and then enters a restart-1sec boot-restart cycle; requires cooldown period before it run for a few minutes again). With troubleshooting, I found that the problem only occurs when the ram is in the dual channel config and that it runs for hours under single channel (RAM is good, no overheating). I assume this means the motherboard is broken and the easiest/cheapest option is to just replace the board with an AM3 or AM3+.

Here's existing hardware:
MB BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 AM3
VGA GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD5850
PSU ANTEC 650W
CPU AMD|PH II X4 955BE 3.2G AM3
MEM 2x2gb ADATA 1600
HD 500G|SAMSUNG HD502HJ
DVD BURN SONY|AD-7240S-0B
ATX case

The PC just hit 2 years old and was built as a budget gaming rig--he doesnt really want to do any significant part replacement at this point (keep it around $100 or less--kinda rules out going with intel).

Any recommendations for an AM3 or AM3+ board?

maybe:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131767
2 answers Last reply
More about motherboard suggestion
  1. Sure, that's a fine board. It seems a bit odd to me though, these symptoms.

I suggest you breadboard the system before you get carried away. See if it all runs normally outside the case.
  2. Its unlikely there is damage to the mb causing the problem .

Dust or poor connections internally might be the cause . Strip it down , check and clean everything

But if you need a new mb then ASUS M5A97
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Motherboards Systems Product