PS3 Specs - That's It?

jacob

The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will
run at 3.2 Ghz and feature 2.18 teraflops of performance.

???

That's it? What happened to the QUANTUM LEAP in performance?

Xbox 360 runs at the same speed and has twice as much memory. Or am I
missing something?

Jacob wrote:
> The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will
> run at 3.2 Ghz and feature 2.18 teraflops of performance.
>
> ???
>
> That's it? What happened to the QUANTUM LEAP in performance?
>
> Xbox 360 runs at the same speed and has twice as much memory. Or am I
> missing something?

You just got caught up in the Sony hype machine.

jacob

In fairness, this was also pretty widely reported in the mainstream gaming
press --- which will undoubtedly never ask a single Sony spokesperson, so
what happened to that Quantum Leap you were talking about.

"Jacob" <simplyjacob@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> In fairness, this was also pretty widely reported in the mainstream gaming
> press --- which will undoubtedly never ask a single Sony spokesperson, so
> what happened to that Quantum Leap you were talking about.
>
> "Dr. GroundAxe" <groundaxe@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Jacob wrote:
>>> The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which
>>> will run at 3.2 Ghz and feature 2.18 teraflops of performance.
>>>
>>> ???
>>>
>>> That's it? What happened to the QUANTUM LEAP in performance?
>>>
>>> Xbox 360 runs at the same speed and has twice as much memory. Or am I
>>> missing something?
>>

>> You just got caught up in the Sony hype machine.

I could be wrong, but I thought 360 only has 1 Tflop???

> The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will
> run at 3.2 Ghz and feature 2.18 teraflops of performance.
>
> ???
>
> That's it? What happened to the QUANTUM LEAP in performance?
>
> Xbox 360 runs at the same speed and has twice as much memory. Or am I
> missing something?

You're missing the difference in video performance. PS3 owns the 360 in that
regard.

"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Jacob" <simplyjacob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > In fairness, this was also pretty widely reported in the mainstream
gaming
> > press --- which will undoubtedly never ask a single Sony spokesperson,
so
> > what happened to that Quantum Leap you were talking about.
> >
> > "Dr. GroundAxe" <groundaxe@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> >> You just got caught up in the Sony hype machine.
> >

> I could be wrong, but I thought 360 only has 1 Tflop???

The 1 TFlop from the Xbox is the power it's CPU not it's GPU. The PS3 has 2
TFlops from the CPU and GPU combined. The floating point capability of just
the CPU in the PS3 is about 218 GFlops so the Xbox CPU has 5 times the
processing power of the PS3 in theory.

ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003

"Sean D" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in

> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in
> message news:d6b9ru$md2$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...
>>
>> "Jacob" <simplyjacob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > In fairness, this was also pretty widely reported in the
>> > mainstream
> gaming
>> > press --- which will undoubtedly never ask a single Sony
>> > spokesperson,
> so
>> > what happened to that Quantum Leap you were talking
>> > about.
>> >
>> > "Dr. GroundAxe" <groundaxe@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
>> > message

>> I could be wrong, but I thought 360 only has 1 Tflop???
>>

> The 1 TFlop from the Xbox is the power it's CPU not it's
> GPU. The PS3 has 2 TFlops from the CPU and GPU combined.
> The floating point capability of just the CPU in the PS3 is
> about 218 GFlops so the Xbox CPU has 5 times the processing
> power of the PS3 in theory.

Nope, I'm afraid you've misread the specs.

XB360 CPU 115 Gflop, overall system performance 1 Tflop
therefore GPU ~900 Gflop. Unified memory of 512 Mb
to split between Main and Video Ram.
http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox-360/perfect-dark-zero/613063p2.html

PS3 CPU 218 Gflop, GPU 1.8 Tflop and overal performance 2 Tflop.
Memory 256 Mb Main Ram and 256 Mb Video Ram.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html

"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in

> Microsoft better ensure victory by backwards compatibility.

Why do people care about backwards compatiblity so much?

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

"Zero" <zero@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> "Sean D" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in
>

>> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in
>> message news:d6b9ru$md2$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...
>>>
>>> "Jacob" <simplyjacob@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> gaming
>> so

>>> I could be wrong, but I thought 360 only has 1 Tflop???
>>>

>> The 1 TFlop from the Xbox is the power it's CPU not it's
>> GPU. The PS3 has 2 TFlops from the CPU and GPU combined.
>> The floating point capability of just the CPU in the PS3 is
>> about 218 GFlops so the Xbox CPU has 5 times the processing
>> power of the PS3 in theory.
>
> Nope, I'm afraid you've misread the specs.
>
> XB360 CPU 115 Gflop, overall system performance 1 Tflop
> therefore GPU ~900 Gflop. Unified memory of 512 Mb
> to split between Main and Video Ram.
> http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox-360/perfect-dark-zero/613063p2.html
>
> PS3 CPU 218 Gflop, GPU 1.8 Tflop and overal performance 2 Tflop.
> Memory 256 Mb Main Ram and 256 Mb Video Ram.
> http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html

You cant dispute that, can you... LOL

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Microsoft better ensure victory by backwards compatibility.
> >
> Why is backwards compatibility so important to so many people?

Because people with HDTivos, DVD players, PS3, Xbox 360 etc etc have limited
inputs on their TV, and limited space in their entertainment centers.
Duhhhhh.

On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:56:19 -0700, JLC wrote:

> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Microsoft better ensure victory by backwards compatibility.
>>
> Why is backwards compatibility so important to so many people? Is it that

One word investment. I have 60+ XBox games. I know my XBox's DVD
drive will eventually die. I do not want to end up with all these
games I can not play anymore.

jlc

"Christopher Fowler" <cfowler@NOSPAM.linxdev.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:56:19 -0700, JLC wrote:
>

>> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> Microsoft better ensure victory by backwards compatibility.
>>>
>> Why is backwards compatibility so important to so many people? Is it that
>
> One word investment. I have 60+ XBox games. I know my XBox's DVD
> drive will eventually die. I do not want to end up with all these
> games I can not play anymore.

So when the time comes that your Xbox dies, there'll be no more Xboxes left
on the planet for you to pick up cheap? I can walk into any game
shop/pawnshop or shop Ebay and find a PS1 for less then $20. There how old
now? 10 years? And there still going. I've had my PS1 for over 9 years and
it still works great. How long do you really think you'll be interested in
your Xbox library? I bet 5-6 years from now you'll have sold them all off to
get money to buy new games. If you have a PS1 when was the last time you
used it? the reason I'm using the PS1 is that it's one of the oldest console
that have a disc drive. Hell my 3DO is still working great and it even older
then the PS1. JLC