White balance with JPG

I know the value of RAW and how much easier is white balancing with
RAW. I have experience having done that.

If, however, what I have to work with is a bunch of JPGs, are there tips
to obtaining a nice balance above and beyond just eyeballing it?

Specifically, with a stream of images illuminated by evening sunlight as
well as an external flash, the two differing colors in light are giving
me a very difficult time finding the balance. (Tried levels, curves,
color balance and had very similar outputs) These images do not have
white objects or black objects (beyond distant shadows inside tree
leaves). I might find a gray tone but only by way of a shadow cast onto
the skin of a subject.

Even if I had a RAW version of these and still had no white/gray objects
for basis (which I'm accustomed to) what, quantitative techniques would
make it easier?

If the photo session began with a white object, or a gray card, could I
use this as a benchmark and then slide each image under my adjustment
layers for the "correct" look?
7 answers Last reply
More about white balance

    Hello,

    You can try Color Pilot (http://www.colorpilot.com/pilot.html) - the
    software for color and brightness correction.
    The examples of white balance correction are shown here:
    http://www.colorpilot.com/cp_ex07.html
    http://www.colorpilot.com/cp_ex11.html

    Color Pilot allows you to save the results of the preceding correction.
    If you have many photos with a similar color balance, it is enough to
    correct one photo and then to click the Repeat button on the
    main toolbar.
    You can download the trial version of the program from
    http://www.colorpilot.com/load/pilot.exe
    After downloading the program you can see the demonstration how to
    correct several photos. For that you should open Example 14 on the menu
    Examples.

    Best regards,

    Olga
    Two Pilots
    http://www.colorpilot.com

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 01:40:57 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Ryan
    <quakeserver149@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Even if I had a RAW version of these and still had no white/gray objects
    >for basis (which I'm accustomed to) what, quantitative techniques would
    >make it easier?

    Don't know about this.

    >If the photo session began with a white object, or a gray card, could I
    >use this as a benchmark and then slide each image under my adjustment
    >layers for the "correct" look?

    If you were going to do this, just set a custom WB in the camera with the
    card first, no?
    ----------
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

[...]

    None that I know too.

    Maybe soon if someone write a script to open JPG file and triangulate the
    gray pixel position in the image and 'poke' the gray point level cursor on
    that coordinate .... we can.

    theoriticaly .. feasible :)

    =bob=

    "Fish" <digital@colorpilot.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > You can try Color Pilot [.. spam snipped]

    Enough already.

    Bart

    > You can try Color Pilot (http://www.colorpilot.com/pilot.html) - the
    > software for color and brightness correction.

    I did. The very first thing I learnt is that it chokes on a 16-bit tif -

    "Error - Unknown file format"

    I haven't investigated further.

    --
    Regards,