Sign in with
Your question
Solved

*urgent* LGA 1155 Bent pin

Last response: in CPUs
July 31, 2012 10:07:00 AM

Hello, i was putting my 3570k into my new mobo, ASrock Extreme4 z77, (LGA 1155 socket) and i noticed one bent pin on the MOBO CPU socket.

I was worried at first but then proceeded to carefully bend the pin back into place. I got the pin back in place for the most part, it was slightly crooked. Anyway i placed the CPU in with no problems and no force needed.

I then put the heatsink on and yada yada and i booted my computer with no problems, nothing different. Checked my CPU-Z, still recognized the chip and the frequency and my DRAM. Everything seems pefectly fine so i proceeded to run prime95 blend test for about 2 hours and had no errors or spikes in temps out of the ordinary. No BSOD or anything.

I really need someone to put my mind at ease. Does everything seem to be in the clear for me? Did i mess up my CPU or MOBO in anyway possibly? Is there a chance the CPU is not being fully utilized due to the bent pin?

Stupid questions i know but i really need to put my mind at ease on this.

I would greatly appreciate it,

Thank you
July 31, 2012 10:13:06 AM

If your machine is working normally then you got SUPREMELY lucky.

Usually: (bent pin on LGA socket) = (screwed motherboard)

If it works then it works. Be very happy.

Q
m
l
July 31, 2012 10:17:22 AM

You are in the Green! (y) :D 

However, you'll have to be careful, now... i.e. take precautions and keep it from getting nudged accidentally. I think you know what i mean ;) 

Smart thinking from you, not to mention the luck you had with the repairing.
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2012 11:02:05 AM

dont try to overclock your cpu with the stock cooler or you may damage your cpu or motherboard or both in some way
m
l

Best solution

a c 79 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 12:22:55 PM

your cpu and system are just fine...if one is careful enough its safe to unbend a pin...just ensure that its the same distance from all other pins etc...which you did.

It's just a contact point like any other and we all know that gold is very ductile so your pin is not damaged(develops cracks, fatigue loading) by unbending.

The voltage and current per pin is small that it cannot short, or heat up the pin either (Unless you over tighten a heatsink and bend the mobo or you OC in a dangerous fashion).

I am in India and know a few vendors who straighten out bent pins occasionally rather than RMA'ing the board and I have not seen a single failure yet..maybe luck or may be we get paranoid a wee bit too much...GOD knows :) 

You are safe...enjoy using your system :) 
July 31, 2012 12:24:51 PM

satyamdubey said:
your cpu and system are just fine...if one is careful enough its safe to unbend a pin...just ensure that its the same distance from all other pins etc...which you did.

It's just a contact point like any other and we all know that gold is very ductile so your pin is not damaged(develops cracks, fatigue loading) by unbending.

The voltage and current per pin is small that it cannot short, or heat up the pin either (Unless you over tighten a heatsink and bend the mobo or you OC in a dangerous fashion).

I am in India and know a few vendors who straighten out bent pins occasionally rather than RMA'ing the board and I have not seen a single failure yet..maybe luck or may be we get paranoid a wee bit too much...GOD knows :) 

You are safe...enjoy using your system :) 

haha we are jugadu people .. lolz :lol: 
m
l
July 31, 2012 12:44:58 PM

And dont ever remove that CPU unless you wanna buy a new motherboard.
m
l
July 31, 2012 12:59:01 PM

Did you apply thermal paste?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 10:29:06 AM

When you unbend a pin it usually works as if it was never bent in the first place. You're lucky it was just 1 pin actually. As long as the pin doesn't break off you should be fine.
m
l
!