Fx 8150 or i5 2320?

kangedde

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
hey people,

my friend is building a pc but can't choose between the fx 8150 or the i5 2320. there is now a 20 euro money back on the 8150 wich makes them both 160 euros.

he does a little gaming (just call of duty blackops and skyrim) and won't overclock
most other activity's on his pc are unpacking archives with winrar.

the rest of his specs are

hd7750
8gb 1333ddr3 ram
mobo not yet

oh and btw the fx 8120 is 147 eu and with the 20eu cash back only 127. is the fx 8120 maybe worth it more since he doesn't need alot out of his pc?

cheers

i5-2320. Call of Duty won't care so much about what CPU you use, but Skyrim can and does take pretty big performance hits with the FX's weaker cores. If hes not overclocking, especially the i5-2320 is going to be the better choice. The FX CPUs have to be overclocked heavily to be seriously considered.

kangedde

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
i'm not very good with computers so maybe a noob question but how big is the difference between 8120 and the 2320?

and is it in your opinion only worth it if you oc?

The problem with the FX CPUs is they're decent at some things and lousy at others. They have a very inconsistent record. In some things, like heavily threaded applications such as video editing, media encoding, it will outperform the 2320. But in almost everything else, like games, it will perform worse. The i5-2320 is just going to offer better balance all around.

And yes, in my opinion, you can pretty much forget it unless you OC. And even with an OC there are some things the FX will still not do as well at.

I'm trying to keep it simple btw, but the problem is the way they're designed. The FX have more cores that individually are not as strong as the less cores in the i5-2320. A core btw, if you have a quad core processor, your computer views that as you having 4 processors. The problem is, not all software (especially games) can actually use all 8 cores by the way they're programmed. In fact, most games only use 2 cores. So thats where the inherent problem with the FX's weaker individual cores come into play.

kangedde

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
thnx:)

what if you had to choose between the i3 2120 or the amd fx 8120fx without oc wich one would you choose?

really wondering

here's the thing.
in gaming (NOT BF3 multiplayer) the i3-2120 would win.
but in heavy multitasking the FX-8120 but I still wouldn't get the FX-8120.
the better AMD processors are the older model higher end Phenom II X4 and X6 chips..

your better going with the Intel option and then upgrade the Intel option processor when you get the chance.
i3-2120 + Z68 or Z77 motherboard
i5-2400 or i5-3550 + Z77 motherboard

are the paths I might take.
I still say buying an i3 with a Z77 mobo today with the intention of buying an i5 later is a foolish investment. Its more financially sound to save your money more and buy the CPU you want in the first place, rather than buy an i3 now and upgrade it in a year (or less) to an i5. That to me is like the guy who dumps 50 dollars on scratch off tickets, wins 20 and spends it all on more scratoff tickets. It doesn't make no damn sense.

Buying a $130 CPU, in 6 months, basically letting it collect dust while you replace it with the $180 CPU you should have bought in the first place? It may be an opinion, but it sounds like a pretty damn logical one. Unless you have some other plans in store for the i3, like building another computer for it or finding someone dumb enough to pay close to full price for your sloppy seconds, thats ridiculous. I don't think I'd be able to take financial advice from you in any capacity my friend.

* first you forgot whom your talking too and I build units daily and three per week on average.
secondly I have never paid that much for a chip in my life..

* third, you have a point but you can't speak for everybody and you never know the situation.
fourth coincides with #3 JUST BECAUSE IT's logical to you and your present state.
it's not cool to call someone else unit dumb / ridiculous since YOU DO NOT know them personally and know what's up at the time.
* and five, it's not about you..
1. I know who I'm talking to.
2. Most of us do pay retail
3. I'm not talking about the OP's situation, I'm talking about yours. You brought up the upgrade path idea. I'm sorry, but I think its a bad one, for you, maybe not. For people paying retail, it is. I'm sorry it annoys you so much.
4. It is logical more often than not, and it needs to be said, if nothing else but to give the OP another view on it. As far as calling someone else's unit dumb, lets be fair, I've seen you do it a lot on these forums. The OP hasn't built the unit yet, at what point in the planning stages does the unit become off-limits and a protected class citizen?
5. I got that.

I see you edited your post because it reads like your a self-centered pompous a-hole...

The funny thing is, opinions go both ways. You have an opinion and I have an opinion. Why you are taking it so personally, I do not know.

----

having a bad-day then take it out on your 'mate'...

Lets cut that crap right now, I wouldn't tell you to go yell at your wife/girlfriend/kids. If we're going to have personal beef, leave my family out of it and I'll do the same. Thats a snippy comment, and quite frankly taken in context, I take it as a jab at my orientation.

InvalidError

Titan

I agree with that, not much point buying a $100-130 CPU when you know you will upgrading to a $180-200 CPU only a few months down the road where the higher-priced CPU will likely still cost pretty much the same amount. Under most circumstances, the logical choice would be to get the $180 chip and be done with it.

If I wanted to build a CPU but couldn't afford the intended CPU right off the bat, I would simply delay the upgrade until I can to avoid piling up unused intermediate parts.

seems like either CPU will be more than enough for what your friend does. The i5 will use less power tho.

If your friend uses 7zip to unzip files, the 8150 will be faster tho.

If I remember correctly winrar doesn't have good multithreading support, but 7zip definitely does. But how often does one really zip files? I have images of this guy doing nothing but zipping and unzipping files all day. :lol: