Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Desktops
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2012 10:10:20 AM

Hello,

I use a Dell Inspiron N7010 laptop, and I added 1 VGA monitor and 1 HDMI monitor.
Everything is plugged on the originals laptop output.

With UBUNTU everything was fine from the first startup, and I have all 3 monitors working to extend my desktop.

But with Windows 7, I can only manage to display 2 of the 3 monitors, in the Display setting, I can see the three monitor, but 2 icon are blue and 1 is grey.

When I want to extend the desktop to the 3rd monitor, it will turn on, but another monitor will turn off.
And when I click on "duplicate desktop", it seems to work (all 3 icons are blue) but then I can't apply, I have the message "unable to save display settings" (anyway, I want to extend desktop, not to mirror it)

here's a photo of my installation :

Do you have any idea on how I can make the 3 monitors work with windows 7 without buying more hardware ?

Maybe there is just a little something to set up that I have miss ; or a software to install.

Thank you

More about : win7 triple monitor grapic card

a c 175 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 10, 2012 10:29:43 AM

Do you install the latest drivers for the Windows 7? It's maybe that you have the one that's new from ubuntu but old on windows 7.
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 10, 2012 11:23:35 AM

hello, I know that but how did the OP have 3 monitors on ubuntu? Is it possible that windows only can't get it? Well thanks for explaining mr. malmental!
Related resources
February 10, 2012 11:39:43 AM

@refillable : Yes I use windows update, and I downloaded the lastest catalyst driver.

@malmental : I do not understand what you mean by "using the display port connection to the laptop in Windows to get all three"
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 10, 2012 11:51:28 AM

The meaning of "using the display port connection to the laptop in Windows to get all three" is you must to use 'Display Port' to do 3 monitors. But, Well as mr. malmental said, there is many possibilities on your issue, it's maybe that windows drivers are limited to 2 monitors in windows, or drivers are not updated. If it's the card itself I don't think so, because if it is, it will not work on ubuntu too. For me I just will stay away from the windows update utility/tool because they said 275.xx is newest for nvidia when there is 290.51 for my case. You'd better go to AMD website and install it yourself there. Good Luck :) .
February 11, 2012 8:06:01 AM

If it's working on ubuntu without a Display port, it should also work on win7.

Maybe it's just a Win7 feature that block 3 monitors from 1 graphic card, because it could lead to instability or worse.

I keep searching.
February 11, 2012 3:07:22 PM

yeah I read about driver restriction, but unsure why they restrict.(if they do)

I mean, it could be a newbie question, but can running 3 monitors on ubuntu damage my compurter by overheating the card or something like that ?
May 2, 2012 6:07:49 AM

Hi there!

I have exactly the same issue here: 3 monitors working under ubuntu, but not under win7. Don't know what to do.

Best regards
Gernot
May 2, 2012 11:47:58 AM

I still don't know how to do it, but will let you know if I ever find out.
!