Computer overheating ridiculously

amonkey

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
fdN3Z.jpg

And this is only playing DOTA 2, case fans on high (which makes the computer sound like a jet engine):
So yeah, that seems bad . Here is a pic of the inside of the computer, since there isn't anything to me obviously wrong (cables look messy, too much dust?):
http://imgur.com/cSRk0

20 minutes after playing DOTA 2:
blGnP.jpg

So what could be causing this? I've ordered some compressed air to de dust the computer, then clean the fans, what then? I find it hard to believe that this little dust could make the computer overheat so much. Should I replace the stock CPU fan?

amonkey

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
*sigh*

I realised what an eye sore the format of this topic is, but I'm not allowed to edit the message. Sorry!

amonkey

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB DDR3 RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Primary hard disk 362GB Free (466GB Total)

Anything else? And no I don't smoke. The computer is situated on a platform about 2 inches off the floor. I didn't realise that much dust was considered bad. I'll use this tool and get back to you, thanks.

It doesn't take much dust to interfere with the cooling process. Especially if it gets in the fins of the heatsink. But again, Speedfan is not very accurate, use HWmonitor. Now if the core temp is to be believed as reported by speedfan, yea thats a pretty hot for a 965. I would start by checking the core temp with hw monitor, and then getting some good thermal compound, take the heatsink off and clean it out and reseat it.

amonkey

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
http://i.imgur.com/ZP9CM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/N6ipx.png

So not much difference that the speedfan results.

Somebody set I should look into buying another fan? Right now I have one fan on the back, and one on top. I can't tell which direction they run atm, but both fans have a logo on top and a wire on top. They seem to be outflow. I have another space for a fan on the left side (looking from the front of the computer). All fans (including processor) are incredibly noisy, apparently big, slow fans are really good?

Thats too hot, it idles fine. No you don't need new case fans. Just the Heatsink fan assembly on the CPU itself. It looks like based on the speeds, its running high power at idle and under load. However, I would try just removing it from the CPU cleaning it up and reapplying the thermal compound and see if that helps. You can use a coffee machine filter to remove old compound from the heatsink and top of the CPU. Just add a BB size bead of thermal compound to the chip and press the heastink down on it to spread the thermal compound. It doesn't need to cover the whole chip, just enough to get a good contact with the heatsink and the top of the CPU. Don't use too much or it can get down into the socket and on the CPU pins, thats bad news.

As far as fan noise, I agree the stock HSF on the Phenom IIs are noisy, thats probably where the noise is coming from. Its not big fans at lower RPMs that cause the most noise, its smaller fans that run at high RPMs that you find on video cards and CPU HSF's.

The coolermaster HyperN520 like I have is pretty quiet, they're about 30 bucks.

amonkey

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
I have a artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 from when I made this computer, which I didn't install at the time. So you're just saying the heat sink for the CPU is the problem and that, and the de dusting, is what I need to do?

Thanks for your help.

Unless you played with the voltage settings, theres no reason that CPU should be running that hot with a clean heatsink/fan assembly and properly applied thermal compound. Am I guaranteeing that this will resolve the problem? No. Just have to try it and see what happens and go from there. And you're welcome.