Three 30" Monitors 2560x1600 each to one computer

vincent911

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
hi,

I would like to connect three 30" LCD 2560x1600 monitors to one computer to view webpages & financial data (stock quote, etc.).
I would like to be able to see ****2560x1600 ON EACH OF THE THREE MONITORS****
My question is which display cards can handle this task ?
My budget is unlimted. I just want the best and the fastest. I don't play game or watch video on my computer.
My computer is turned on 24x7. It is not enclosed in a computer case.
I have two 120mm fans to keep the drives and motherboard cool.

My computer :
Asus Rampage Extreme
Intel X980
24GB DRAM (2GB used for Qsoft Ramdisk)
Dell U3011 monitor
GeForce GT520
120GB SSD for OS
120GB SSD for critical data
3 x 3TB drives for backups
Windows 7 Ultimate

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Nice choice in monitor. Dell makes the best IMO then Samsung. If you want the best, I suggest you get an ASUS 7970. They ASUS 7970 provides 4 full displayport so you can connect your monitor with ease.

vincent911

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

I just look at the specs. It say max res. 2560x1600.

If I connect it to 3 monintors each with 2560x1600 then I would need a display card that can handle a max 3x2560x1600 ?

help me to understand it !

joemehnert

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
just get a 7970 than. ANY brand. with 3gbs of vram and what you are doing its a little overkill but will fit in nicely with what you have. Only thing we need to know is how big of power supply you have.

vincent911

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

on the label of the power supply it says

output 650W

I use two 2560 x 1600 samsung monitors. One for gaming, and one for static stuff.

For what your usage is, you do not need any fast gaming graphics card.
Gaming level cards are needed to produce high refresh rates for fast action games.

I have used a XFX fanless 7800GT card, on a temporary basis, and for normal desktop operations, it worked well.
I don't think it is made anymore.

What you need is two basic cards that can each handle two dual dvi outputs.
Your motherboard has plenty of pci-e slots, you could go even more if your desk space permitted.

Your GT520 already handles one monitor, and, I presume that it is satisfactory.

You could get two more, but there are versions of the same card that will handle two dual link dvi outputs.
Here is one example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500213

vincent911

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

I checked the article. Too hard for me to understand all of these techincal stuff.

My real question is
Will this card expand my desktop to 3x2560x1600 ?
My computer currently connect to ONE Dell U3011.
I plan to buy TWO more.

Dell U3011 specs form DELL :
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=224-9949
2 High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
2 Digital Visual Interface connectors (DVI-D) with HDCP
1 DisplayPort (DP)
1 Video Graphics Array (VGA)

Your dell monitors are excellent, and they have a multiplicity of input options.
The only ones which will give you 2560 x 1600 are the dvi-d inputs, just like the ones you are using now.
The others will be more limited in their maximum resolution.

I really don't think you want to go the 7970 route.
Yes, the card is a beast for gaming, but it is a lot stronger than you can use, more expensive, runs hotter, and requires a second/different driver.

If you get a second GT520 with two dual link dvi outputs, you will do just as well, and it will be a lot simpler and cheaper.
Yes, with a second, or even third card, you will get an extended desktop.
On your desktop, right click to get to the nvidia control panel.
There you can select set up multiple displays.
There is nothing special about setting up an extended desktop.

You may not have thought about this, but three 30" displays take up a lot of desktop space.
It can be more compact if you can rotate the displays 90 degrees to portrait mode.
If the stand can handle that, fine. Otherwise, you can buy vesa standard wall mounts to replace the stock stands.

I bought two rosewill mounts to attach my two monitors to the wall. The objective was to increase my flat desk area.
If your desk area is suitable, wall mounts will allow you more useable space for a display wall.

vincent911

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Thanks for your help

joemehnert

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
yes he is not gaming.. but he said he wants the best. So 7970 si currently the best option to go along with his system. doesnt sound like this human is cramped for space either so portrait mode is just going to have him looking up and down rather than left to right.
Another "professional" options is the NVS 420. But those are going to cost you a tad less than the best card(7970) right now.

If it was me I would just buy ati 5770 1gb
here is alink that should tell you everything you may want to know.

http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-477.shtml

I do not believe hdmi can support that resolution, but I agree with the rest, and I agree there is no need or desire for a high end gaming card. Why would you want to make your system noisy for no reason? The best graphics card doesn't always mean the most powerful if you have no use for power.

joemehnert

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
as an owner of a 3dtv and a 3dtv used as a monitor refresh lock will allow 1080p 24hz via 1.3 hdmi.
lets not forget how the op worded his question.. My budget is unlimted. I just want the best and the fastest

As shown in many 2D tests, most of the newer cards, even the behemoths, do not perform faster than cards 5 years ago. If he's not gaming and not needing CUDA or OpenCL, he won't gain anything from a fast gaming card except more noise, more heat and likely a shorter lifespan as a result.

joemehnert

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
im sorry but a 100.00 graphics card is not that crazy. not like the guy is running p4 here and just looking to scrape buy. Having a better graphics card is going to improve performance all around. How about he sells that 980x and trades it in for a celeron. I highly doubt he is using that either. I still stand by my recommendation of a 5770. Good overal card for cheap.(or 6770 if you cant find one)
As far as noise and heat.. sounds like you have been burned by those very loud heat monsters called 470's. I had benched those on day one and was astonished by the heat of fermi Rnd 1.(465,470,480)
5770 is quiet and will not affect other components in terms of heat .. especially in an open environment As far as a short lifespan.. Im just not sure how to answer that question politely. As long as he is not running prime95/kombuster while doing his work inside of a sauna he should have no issues with reliabilty.

You initially were recommending a 7970, not the 5770. A 5770 is reasonable, although they have had a lot of issue going bad on people, so I might suggest a 6000 series card instead.