Sign in with
Your question

How to fix damaged gtx580

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2012 2:00:01 PM

Thinking about buying a 'damaged' gtx 580. They played on it for 10 hours before it started freezing up and showing a fragmented screen. When they tried to return it to the person who built their pc, they refused to look at it as the DVI ports appear damaged. Apparently the guy had forced the wrong connector into the port.

The photo below shows that the DVI port that look like they have had a connection forced into them.

How bad do you think this is damaged? Am I right or wrong in thinking that this card is rescuable?

He has apparently not tried the HDMI or DisplayPort connections... is it worth the risk to buy it off him for ~£100 bearing in mind I was going to use HDMI anyway?

More about : fix damaged gtx580

a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2012 2:10:08 PM

I would most certainly test the HDMI or other connectors first. If all goes well and it is simply damage to one of the outputs, sure. Keep in mind like most used pieces of computer hardware the warranty won't transfer so any problems will most likely leave you dead in the water.

Just be very sure you are buying a working card!
a c 263 U Graphics card
February 10, 2012 2:27:00 PM

Ask to test the card first. If it works, pay his price and buy it.
If it does not, don't; it is possible that the damaged pins caused a short and damaged the whole card.
If the seller will not let you test if, pass on it.
Related resources
February 10, 2012 2:28:37 PM

As he lives 4 hours drive away, i think I'll have to pass on this one then... unfortunately £100 is still a lot of money to be gambling on a potentially faulty gtx580

however, he has listed it as 'used' on ebay even though he isnt sure if it is working. Surely ebay buyer protection would mean that if I bought it and it didnt work, it would be his fault as he listed it as working, and so I could get a refund? I think this is how ebay works....
a c 263 U Graphics card
February 10, 2012 2:45:04 PM

Medicteddy said:
As he lives 4 hours drive away, i think I'll have to pass on this one then... unfortunately £100 is still a lot of money to be gambling on a potentially faulty gtx580

however, he has listed it as 'used' on ebay even though he isnt sure if it is working. Surely ebay buyer protection would mean that if I bought it and it didnt work, it would be his fault as he listed it as working, and so I could get a refund? I think this is how ebay works....

Read the seller's return policy on his listing. Since it is used, he should say under what conditions a return will be accepted. If there is no such info, ask the seller what those terms are. Assuming you can return the card if it does not work, you will only be out the cost of postage.
If you pay with paypal, and keep good records, you will only be risking postage, and it seems to me that the asking price might well be worth the risk.

There can be other reasons for freezing after a long gaming session that have nothing to do with a damaged card. Old drivers, overheating and inadequate psu for example.
You will need a quality psu of at least 600w to run a GTX580.
February 10, 2012 2:48:40 PM

Fragmented freezing screen usually means the Vram is no good, possibly it was water cooled and no Vram heat syncs were installed.
You can use any port for your display, the damaged one can be left alone which means he is probably trying to get money for a card he ruined.

I would pass!
February 10, 2012 2:54:49 PM

billj214 said:
Fragmented freezing screen usually means the Vram is no good, possibly it was water cooled and no Vram heat syncs were installed.
You can use any port for your display, the damaged one can be left alone which means he is probably trying to get money for a card he ruined.

I would pass!

This guy hasn't altered the card at all and just seems very naive when it comes to computers. Nonetheless I see your point - he might be worried and trying to con me

this is what he says on his ebay:

"This is a Pallit gtx 580 graphics card I bought a new gaming machine and this card was in it , I played on it for 10 hrs and it started freezing and showing a fragmented screen, I tried to exchange it or get it repaired with the guy who built the computer but he said I damaged the card by forcing the wrong connector in the port at the back and refused to even look at it, If you look at the picture you can see the port, I'm cutting my loses and selling it, I've replaced with a new one, I dont know anything about computers but I will try to answer any questions, no reserve good luck bidding"
February 10, 2012 3:04:09 PM

Medicteddy said:
This guy hasn't altered the card at all and just seems very naive when it comes to computers. Nonetheless I see your point - he might be worried and trying to con me

this is what he says on his ebay:

"This is a Pallit gtx 580 graphics card I bought a new gaming machine and this card was in it , I played on it for 10 hrs and it started freezing and showing a fragmented screen, I tried to exchange it or get it repaired with the guy who built the computer but he said I damaged the card by forcing the wrong connector in the port at the back and refused to even look at it, If you look at the picture you can see the port, I'm cutting my loses and selling it, I've replaced with a new one, I dont know anything about computers but I will try to answer any questions, no reserve good luck bidding"

No offense but I cannot agree that the owner is naive about computer parts....something is wrong with the card. Two things that stick out .....DVI/HDMI are ALOT smaller than DVI so no idea how he could confuse shoving them into the DVI ports. Furthermore someone who is dumb or naive about computers doesnt typically buy $500+ video cards. I think he burned it out OCing it .... no way that he used it for 10 hours and it took a crap and the guy who built it wont help him out in some way. That would be the first day or two of use with a new computer. Stay away from it
February 10, 2012 3:12:49 PM

envymert said:
No offense but I cannot agree that the owner is naive about computer parts....something is wrong with the card. Two things that stick out .....DVI/HDMI are ALOT smaller than DVI so no idea how he could confuse shoving them into the DVI ports. Furthermore someone who is dumb or naive about computers doesnt typically buy $500+ video cards. I think he burned it out OCing it .... no way that he used it for 10 hours and it took a crap and the guy who built it wont help him out in some way. That would be the first day or two of use with a new computer. Stay away from it

No offence taken! I will take everyone's kind advice and steer clear. If I could go try the card out in person, it might be a different story, but that's not going to happen!
Thanks for providing me with some common sense and saving me 100 quid guys :)  Really appreciate it!
!