Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 tv cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2012 2:06:53 PM

Hi everyone

I would like the communities valuable advice on which tv card i should get.The price doesn't matter.Preferably internal.
I need to connect and record cable tv and with all the high end features.

Thanks

More about : windows cards

a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2012 4:32:46 PM

I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1600. Does hi-def ATSC with Win7 64 bit (its an internal card). Had it for a year so far. No problems with it. This is the 2nd product from them I've used from the company and I'm satified. They have a few cards with different price points and options to choose from.
Related resources
a b x TV
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2012 5:22:38 PM

The problem with the Hauppauge internal cards (as good as they are), you still need the set top box to decrypt the encrypted channels.

-Wolf sends
February 10, 2012 5:44:15 PM

I have been looking into getting another tuner myself because my WinTV went bad causing a blue screen because it was shorting out my board. I found this one on amazom for around 40 dollars: ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Combo PC TV Tuner is has pretty good reviews for the price i already have purchsed it and have on the way. Hope this helps.
February 12, 2012 6:54:19 AM

Wolfshadw said:
Ceton InfiniTV4 Quad Tuner and say good bye to your set top box.

-Wolf sends

Thanks a lot Wolfshadw

I think i'll be going with that one.

I am not really sure about the setup and stuff.....what is the flat open space ...is that for the cable or something else.

Regards
a b x TV
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2012 1:00:28 PM

The flat, open space in the Ceton card is for the cablecard you'll need from your cable provider. Whereas the set top box lease from your cable provider generally runs between $12 and $16 per month, the cablecard lease is generally no more than $2 per month.

Set up and installation is pretty straight-forward and the instructions can be found here.

A couple things of note:

1) You will lose On-Demand services by replacing your set top box.
2) The TV Guide Channel is lost, but the guide is now automatically downloaded and accessible through Windows 7 Media Center.
3) The Ceton InfiniTV4 is a quad tuner card (meaning there are four separate tuners) and they are network-able. This means you can designate any of the four tuners to any other Windows 7 networked computer. This networked computer will then be able to view TV shows just like there was a tuner card in that computer as well.
4) I highly recommend getting a remote control for your media center. If you have a Logitech Harmony remote, that can be programmed to control your HTPC. Otherwise, this this Hauppauge PCTV Remote Kit would work just as well.

-Wolf sends
February 12, 2012 1:52:29 PM

Wolfshadw said:
The flat, open space in the Ceton card is for the cablecard you'll need from your cable provider. Whereas the set top box lease from your cable provider generally runs between $12 and $16 per month, the cablecard lease is generally no more than $2 per month.

Set up and installation is pretty straight-forward and the instructions can be found here.

A couple things of note:

1) You will lose On-Demand services by replacing your set top box.
2) The TV Guide Channel is lost, but the guide is now automatically downloaded and accessible through Windows 7 Media Center.
3) The Ceton InfiniTV4 is a quad tuner card (meaning there are four separate tuners) and they are network-able. This means you can designate any of the four tuners to any other Windows 7 networked computer. This networked computer will then be able to view TV shows just like there was a tuner card in that computer as well.
4) I highly recommend getting a remote control for your media center. If you have a Logitech Harmony remote, that can be programmed to control your HTPC. Otherwise, this this Hauppauge PCTV Remote Kit would work just as well.

-Wolf sends

Oh ok thanks a lot...
I am now sure what to do.

Thanks
!