MSI R6970 Lightning - White Screen Issue

ImFakeFiction

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Hello,

I built my new pc yesterday from these components..

MSI HD 6970 Lightning ATI - AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 2GB
i7 2700k @ 3.5GHz
Sabertooth P67 Motherboard
Corsair TX850 Enthusiast v2
Corsair Memory Vengeance Blue 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Quad Channel
1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 7200rpm

I built the pc yesterday with a couple of issues which I've fixed but I've come across another I can not get my head around. Every time I try and play a game it'll give me a white screen. For example with Skyrim I can see the menu's, loading screens but the second it tries to show actual gameplay the game whitescreens. I've not tried to overclock the card any more than what MSI already have done. It's just straight out of the box, new. It comes with a BIOS switch on the card.

It displays the options:
Performance- Won't display an image at all on boot.
Default- Boots up fine, white screens in game.
Silent- Boots up fine, white screens in game. (This was selected when I got the card)

I've downloaded the newest drivers for the card from AMD's website (Catalyst Control Center).

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

ImFakeFiction

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Fans are spinning and can be controlled in CCC. I've tried all 4 8 pin connectors on my PSU. They are definitely plugged in. Thank you for the response.

ImFakeFiction

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

They're both plugged in snug with the clips on. Is this a common issue? My PC doesn't freeze I can alt+tab out of the game and close the process and the PC remains stable. Temps are not high either.

VrfEf.png

i meant check the actual card has clicked home properly into the slot on the motherboard --as the card draws

power from the slot as well as the 8 pins

not a common issue no

shouldnt it show your core voltage in afterburner?

ImFakeFiction

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

Yeah, I just noticed that when looking at someone else's afterburner screenshot for this card. His core voltage at stock was 1174. Should I try my card in the 2nd PCI-E slot on the motherboard? It looks like it's plugged in perfectly and the clip on the motherboard is on tight.

EDIT: Just had to enable it in the settings. Displays as 1174 as well. Also, thank you for the help.

wont hurt to try it in the second slot

if that doesnt work do you have a friend whos pc you could try it in?

also a slim possibilty the cards faulty--even brand new stuff can be

but best to try all the options before an rma

obviously that psu can run it easily--it just appears as if its not getting enough power to the card

ImFakeFiction

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

I've had it rma'd and a new one came today. Customer service win! :D But I'm now getting a problem where I get faint white lines down my screen in darker areas of games.

It's only in games as well, I don't get the problem in windows itself. The card is not hot or overheating when playing Dead Island at 1080p with max settings. Getting 200fps on average.

I'm sure it's not another faulty card as the first one had this problem as well. I've tried turning v-sync on and it's no different. My monitor is 50/60Hz and Dead Island is running at 60Hz so it shouldn't be that.

Might leave memtest86 on overnight today and see if it's my memory playing up. Hope not.

Any ideas what it could be? Thank you for the help.

acidglow

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I've come across this issue in Skyrim myself, not sure if you get same in other games or not but if it's only happening in Skyrim it is caused by one of the MODs. I've not been able to single out which mod caused the issue on my system since I am currently running the game with 60 different mods.

In my case the white screen was only in the game itself (PC/Game did not crash). All the menus and actions worked, also the world map was completely normal. Do note that if you encounter this issue (and if it is same as mine) any save game that you might have and that were saved after or a few seconds prior (i.e. Auto-save) seem to get corrupted so loading those will give you the same white screen issue with or without any MODs enabled. You would need a save that is from a few minutes before the issue happened.

TRENDING THREADS