Random reboots

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
I built my computer about 8 months ago and it's been running fine until this past week now it's been randomly rebooting. Usually in the middle of playing a game, but that may simply be because that's what I'm doing on the computer most of the time. If there's such a thing, I'd call it a hard reboot because I hear the fan(s) go on full tilt for a couple of seconds at the start of the reboot, just like when I first hit the power button. Unlike if I choose a restart from the windows menu, where I don't hear the fan do that. I can list all the individual components that make up my computer if that helps, but I'm just wonder if there is some soft of guide on how to track down whether it the video card, memory, system board, or power supply that is causing the reboot.

Thanks,

Bob

popatim

Titan
Usually the first place to begin is by examining the system log for errors, esp ones just prior to the reboot.

I would also disable automatic rebooting on errors so that if one is being displayed to fast for you to see it, it will now show up.

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005

I should have mentioned that I already did shut off the automatic rebooting. The way the computer reboots with the loud fan noise, suggest to me that windows is not generating an error and rebooting, because a windows generated restart does not cause the fans to spark up at full tilt like a power on at start. The whole computer itself is rebooting for some reason.

Thanks,

Bob