best new config for pc

Looking to buy a new box and wondered what the best config would be e.g.

P4 of course
1gb ram
Monitor e.g. lcd v crt
but
video
and sound would require some disscussion
joystick

so over to the group with comments please and any url's for support info
would be appreciated
My current box crashes on every game that i have so you can see how bad i
want to get a new box
Happy NY and Xmas to all in this group and thanks to a great group for
plenty of good info and when a mistake is made that they are acknoldeged
Sunnie (Sars)
Looking forward to killing you all ha ha

> so over to the group with comments please and any url's for support info
> would be appreciated
> My current box crashes on every game that i have so you can see how bad i
> want to get a new box

Well, I'm cheap so have you tried the usual format, clean install sort of
things first with your current machine?

Ok, with that said:
Monitors: depends on your space requirements and preference. There is
nothing wrong with a CRT, it's cheaper, and last longer but takes up alot of
space. For that reason I went to the NEC Multisync LCD 17". Works great
in all games and was about $350 when I bought it. Do your homework though.
Many LCD's are priced great but not suitable for heavy graphics. An
expensive graphics card will do you no good with a cheap LCD. People have
trouble with ghosting, dithering, and just generally poor picture if you
don't get the right one.

Video: I replaced my old GF4 with a 6800GT. I was a Voodoo guy til they
died, then became and NVIDIA guy and have never seen a reason to try Radeon
so I can't talk about them. BUT, my 6800 is great. Does everything I need
and more. Frames are awesome and I can run with all the effects turned up
with no performance issues.

Sound: My Asus board came with integrated Soundstorm Dolby 5.1. Alot of
people have griped about it, but I never had the sound issues or bugs people
keep reporting with BF or BFV. I paired that with a set of Logitech z640
surround sound speakers I found on sale last year and it's awesome. I get
great music from my MP3's and incredible sound when gaming. I've actually
walked away from a few hours of BF with my sound up and effects on with some
serious ears ringing from all the explosions. Not recommended as a habit
but pretty cool at the time to really feel the sound when something blows
up.

Joystick: Well, sticks are like women(if you're a guy). Every guy has a
preference on how it should look, feel and perform. I like HOTAS setups and
prefer stiffer resistance rather than soft and sloppy. My favorite of all
time was the Suncom SFS, no longer in production. So, my wife got me the
Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner II for fathers day and I'd say it's the
best thing Thrustmaster has come out with in years (under $50). It's still
lighter than I like, but all buttons are easily programmable, the throttle
and stick fit my hand nicely and I don't have to search or stretch my
fingers in odd ways to hit a button. There also the option to use a lever
on the throttle as rudder, or use the twist on the stick. My advice, go to
a store with displays and touch and feel all of them to get an idea what
will make your hand tired too early and see what you like.

Good luck!!
George
(Halon1211)

Halon1211 wrote:
>> so over to the group with comments please and any url's for support
>> info would be appreciated
>> My current box crashes on every game that i have so you can see how
>> bad i want to get a new box
>
> Well, I'm cheap so have you tried the usual format, clean install
> sort of things first with your current machine?
>
> Ok, with that said:
> Monitors: depends on your space requirements and preference. There
> is nothing wrong with a CRT, it's cheaper, and last longer but takes
> up alot of space. For that reason I went to the NEC Multisync LCD
> 17". Works great in all games and was about $350 when I bought it.
> Do your homework though. Many LCD's are priced great but not suitable
> for heavy graphics. An expensive graphics card will do you no good
> with a cheap LCD. People have trouble with ghosting, dithering, and
> just generally poor picture if you don't get the right one.
>
> Video: I replaced my old GF4 with a 6800GT. I was a Voodoo guy til
> they died, then became and NVIDIA guy and have never seen a reason to
> try Radeon so I can't talk about them. BUT, my 6800 is great. Does
> everything I need and more. Frames are awesome and I can run with
> all the effects turned up with no performance issues.
>
> Sound: My Asus board came with integrated Soundstorm Dolby 5.1.
> Alot of people have griped about it, but I never had the sound issues
> or bugs people keep reporting with BF or BFV. I paired that with a
> set of Logitech z640 surround sound speakers I found on sale last
> year and it's awesome. I get great music from my MP3's and
> incredible sound when gaming. I've actually walked away from a few
> hours of BF with my sound up and effects on with some serious ears
> ringing from all the explosions. Not recommended as a habit but
> pretty cool at the time to really feel the sound when something blows
> up.
>
> Joystick: Well, sticks are like women(if you're a guy). Every guy
> has a preference on how it should look, feel and perform. I like
> HOTAS setups and prefer stiffer resistance rather than soft and
> sloppy. My favorite of all time was the Suncom SFS, no longer in
> production. So, my wife got me the Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner
> II for fathers day and I'd say it's the best thing Thrustmaster has
> come out with in years (under $50). It's still lighter than I like,
> but all buttons are easily programmable, the throttle and stick fit
> my hand nicely and I don't have to search or stretch my fingers in
> odd ways to hit a button. There also the option to use a lever on
> the throttle as rudder, or use the twist on the stick. My advice, go
> to a store with displays and touch and feel all of them to get an
> idea what will make your hand tired too early and see what you like.

Ive just finally got rid of my CRT for an LCD and I find it really good.
The lcd really brought out the dark textures that are almost invisible on
CRT
monitors. Its a great change from the dark days of crt. I really recommend
it.

Kev

Sunnie wrote:

> Looking to buy a new box and wondered what the best config would be e.g.
>
> P4 of course

Nope, not "of course". What about an AMD 64?

Dillinger

Dillinger wrote:
> Sunnie wrote:
>
>> Looking to buy a new box and wondered what the best config would be e.g.
>>
>> P4 of course
>

> Nope, not "of course". What about an AMD 64?
>
> Dillinger

Check out www.sharkyextreme.com. They publish recommendations on
hardware (in 3 price brackets). I used their advice last time I bought a
new pc.

regards,

Achtung Ecco

Ta all for this