Do Two GeForce GTX 680s Beat Three GeForce GTX 660 Tis In SLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
off topic:

when titan's review comes out?

on topic:

frankly i'm no multi gpu nor multi monitor user. but for the green camp if you want multi monitor gtx 660 ti 3Gb is a good choice if you want the cheap option. if you want more horse power while still on the cheap side then 7950 is the answer. (the latest game bundle from amd might also lean some people to buy amd cards)

G

A sneak peak to the GTX Titain 6GBs. From the website "WCCF Tech"
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-pictured-gk110-finally-arrives-consumers-blasting-6-gb-memory/

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
From my own experience I would rather go with 2x 680 as dual sli scales very well on about _all_ titles while tri/quad sli can be more of a gambling in performance - For titles where all the cards scale well its sure nice as hell - Where it does not you can even loose performance by adding a third/fourth card (even thoo that scenario gets less and less frequent).

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Nice review, makes me consider taking 3x7950 instead of 2x7970. Would equal in price due to sales that are going on. But, maybe grab a Titan? I hope to see another review in 8 hrs featuring Nvidia GeForce Titan.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Not the point of this article, but i noticed that a single gtx680 is a complete beast at 1080P.
Also, it would have been interesting to see the CPU usage during the tests.

Edit : A repeat of this article with the HD7000 cards should be performed, specially after the 13.2 driver are released.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]Not the point of this article, but i noticed that a single gtx680 is a complete beast at 1080P.Also, it would have been interesting to see the CPU usage during the tests.Edit : A repeat of this article with the HD7000 cards should be performed, specially after the 13.2 driver are released.[/citation]

Yes same review for HD 7000 series should be given. Can't wait for that.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I'd still go for a GTX 690 Hydro Copper. Overclock it and pwn while only taking two slots. SLI configs which take up all your slots seem highly inefficient and unappealing.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
[citation][nom]PadaV4[/nom]A review with SLI and no microstutter and frame latency tests?? Seriously?[/citation]

Frame latency has only been a major issue for AMD setups, and mostly around the 7950, not so much the higher end cards.

kristi_metal

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
[citation][nom]TheMadFapper[/nom]Frame latency has only been a major issue for AMD setups, and mostly around the 7950, not so much the higher end cards.[/citation]

Actually no, all cards have a problem with inconsistent frame latencies, including Nvidia cards.
The problem is even bigger on multicard setup, where microstuttering can be a visual annoyance

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
[citation][nom]kristi_metal[/nom]Actually no, all cards have a problem with inconsistent frame latencies, including Nvidia cards. The problem is even bigger on multicard setup, where microstuttering can be a visual annoyance[/citation]

Actually no, AMD cards till now recently have had poorer frame latencies that the comparable Nvidia cards, mainly because of poor drivers. It does not mean Tahiti < Kepler. It only means AMD driver team is lagging.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Could see the conclusion coming, 2x 4GB GTX680s seem to make more sense than the Ti's.

Just like the other folks, would like to see the Radeon equivalent article too! And Titan as well :D

[citation][nom]kristi_metal[/nom]Actually no, all cards have a problem with inconsistent frame latencies, including Nvidia cards. The problem is even bigger on multicard setup, where microstuttering can be a visual annoyance[/citation]
I don't experience microstutter with my two 680s in SLI. I had it constantly with my 2 5850s and still with 3 5850s. I never had a problem with microstutter with 2 580s in SLI either.

I challenge everyone to try both multi-card technologies for themselves and then talk about their results. Don't just take the word of others as the truth.

KrisPC

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhat happy to see the results, for reason that 660 Ti didn't seem to be bottlenecked by it's 2 GB VRAM (except perhaps in BF 3). Guess the guys who told that unless you plan to go 3-way SLI your cards don't have enough raw power to use 4 GB VRAM anyway were right and back when I bought my 2 670 cards it would have cost me 150$ extra for a bit weaker cards. So I have no regrets. PS. Gaming at 5760x1080 is awesome but even more so is video editing.

downhill911

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Or just grab used GTX 690 for about £530-600 from ebay UK (duno about US price, sorry), for 1080p gaming it is just enough to ultra everything and even on 1440p you'll be just fine, games will drop under 60FPS in some games but still the most power and price efficient card (when buying used one).

brendonmc

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I always go for the 2nd best card of the day when first released, then SLI or Xfire a year later when the price has dropped significantly. Then you can skip the next gen and repeat again after.

Status
Not open for further replies.