XB360 WILL Play Xbox1 games

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Xbox360 will be backwards compatible with Xbox games

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8273/Xbox-360-Details-Emerge-at-E3-2005-Xbox-Press-Briefing/

they will start with the most popular games and work their way down.

sounds like emulation

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

This doesn't seem to make any sense at all, but hey, whatever. I will
wait until I go to the official XBox site and it says it there.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Xbox 360 backward compatible with top-selling Xbox games. "

WTF does THAT mean? The X360 will reject games like Shrek or The Matrix
Reloaded?

Jonah Falcon

Jonah Falcon wrote:
> "Xbox 360 backward compatible with top-selling Xbox games. "
>
> WTF does THAT mean? The X360 will reject games like Shrek or The
Matrix
> Reloaded?

I dunno what it means myself, but it sure smells funny.

I never thought the Xbox was ever gonna be backwards compatible and
after it's non-announcement at the MTV infomercial I figured that was
the final confirmation, but this "top-selling game" garbage seems like
they're flailing.

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Actually, the Matrix Reloaded sold quite well. People complained that
it wasn't very good or that it was buggy, but I didn't have much
trouble with it.

You missed the biggest line though...

"Final Fantasy XI is coming to Xbox 360."

- Jordan

"Christian Winter" <cwinter@gmail.com> wrote in message
> This doesn't seem to make any sense at all, but hey, whatever. I will
> wait until I go to the official XBox site and it says it there.

It does make sense, read Glitch's post in ugvx, it's the only way they can
do it, that's why its being done this way.

Matt Hook wrote:
> "Christian Winter" <cwinter@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>This doesn't seem to make any sense at all, but hey, whatever. I will
>>wait until I go to the official XBox site and it says it there.
>>

> It does make sense, read Glitch's post in ugvx, it's the only way they can
> do it, that's why its being done this way.

As much as I hate cross posting (hence why i removed all but ugvx for my
reply), just this once...

If anything I would expect there would be some emulation software built
into the 360 OS, which could over time be updated via live, much like
the software version on the current xbox OS has changed over time. This
could allow for development and refinement of the emulation engine.

The main problem comes with the differences in archtecture, given that
the PowerPC CPU is vastly different from the Intel architecture of the
current xbox. Also the ATI GPU will work differently from the nVIDIA,
the nVIDIA chip has a programmable shader routine to write custom code
for the hardware, making it specific. These would need to be emulated or
recoded for the ATI hardware, most likely via built in emulation software.

Just my two cents.

Matt

[GLY7CH] wrote:
> Matt Hook wrote:
>
>> "Christian Winter" <cwinter@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> This doesn't seem to make any sense at all, but hey, whatever. I will
>>> wait until I go to the official XBox site and it says it there.
>>>

>> It does make sense, read Glitch's post in ugvx, it's the only way they
>> can do it, that's why its being done this way.
>

> As much as I hate cross posting (hence why i removed all but ugvx for my
> reply), just this once...
>
> If anything I would expect there would be some emulation software built
> into the 360 OS, which could over time be updated via live, much like
> the software version on the current xbox OS has changed over time. This
> could allow for development and refinement of the emulation engine.
>
> The main problem comes with the differences in archtecture, given that
> the PowerPC CPU is vastly different from the Intel architecture of the
> current xbox. Also the ATI GPU will work differently from the nVIDIA,
> the nVIDIA chip has a programmable shader routine to write custom code
> for the hardware, making it specific. These would need to be emulated or
> recoded for the ATI hardware, most likely via built in emulation software.
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> Matt

So cross posting is ok now from this group ?

Oh well it seems so. :)

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

<Radeon350@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Xbox360 will be backwards compatible with Xbox games
>
> http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8273/Xbox-360-Details-Emerge-at-E3-2005-Xbox-Press-Briefing/
>
> they will start with the most popular games and work their way down.
>

> sounds like emulation

Just a crazy thought...

Another way they could do it is to recompile some games for the new hardware
and include them on the hard drive.
Activation would be via inserting the original disk.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

It's only the XBE that'd be different, so 10mb max, that could be downloaded
on the fly from LIVE, and there you have it, you're original game working
great in native 360 code.

<Radeon350@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Xbox360 will be backwards compatible with Xbox games

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8273/Xbox-360-Details-Emerge-at-E3-2005-Xbox-P
ress-Briefing/

> they will start with the most popular games and work their way down.
>

> sounds like emulation

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

> Am sure they said there releasing halo 2 on 360 anyway but with much
> better graphics etc.
>
> Gordy

Yeah, it's called Halo 360

"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> "Xbox 360 backward compatible with top-selling Xbox games. "
>
> WTF does THAT mean? The X360 will reject games like Shrek or The Matrix
> Reloaded?
>
> Jonah Falcon
>
> <Radeon350@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Xbox360 will be backwards compatible with Xbox games
>>
>> http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8273/Xbox-360-Details-Emerge-at-E3-2005-Xbox-Press-Briefing/
>>
>> they will start with the most popular games and work their way down.
>>

>> sounds like emulation

To me, I would think that with the power of the XBOX 360, it would easily be
able to handle the CPU overhead for XBOX 1 emulation. Of course emulation
can never 100% emulate the real thing without some headaches, they may just
mean that they will ensure top titles work, and if others don't, well too
bad.

"[GLY7CH]" <GLY7CH@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Matt Hook wrote:
>> "Christian Winter" <cwinter@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>This doesn't seem to make any sense at all, but hey, whatever. I will
>>>wait until I go to the official XBox site and it says it there.
>>>

>> It does make sense, read Glitch's post in ugvx, it's the only way they
>> can do it, that's why its being done this way.
>
> As much as I hate cross posting (hence why i removed all but ugvx for my
> reply), just this once...
>
> If anything I would expect there would be some emulation software built
> into the 360 OS, which could over time be updated via live, much like the
> software version on the current xbox OS has changed over time. This could
> allow for development and refinement of the emulation engine.
>
> The main problem comes with the differences in archtecture, given that the
> PowerPC CPU is vastly different from the Intel architecture of the current
> xbox. Also the ATI GPU will work differently from the nVIDIA, the nVIDIA
> chip has a programmable shader routine to write custom code for the
> hardware, making it specific. These would need to be emulated or recoded
> for the ATI hardware, most likely via built in emulation software.
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> Matt

Or even if Intel and nVidia wanted payment due to licensing agreements, I
would be willing to spend $50 for some software to allow me to play most of
the previous titles. Granted, I feel this should be included with XBOX 2,
but I wouldn't want to throw out my $800 in XBOX games I've already
invested. I've got room for a single console only, so the "use both
consoles" retort doesn't fly. It was hard enough to convince my wife to get
one console, I can't imagine her being too happy about having two around.

"Dr Gordon Crowbar" <Justin@c.com> wrote in message

> <Radeon350@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Xbox360 will be backwards compatible with Xbox games
>>
>> http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8273/Xbox-360-Details-Emerge-at-E3-2005-Xbox-Press-Briefing/
>>
>> they will start with the most popular games and work their way down.
>>

>> sounds like emulation
>
> Just a crazy thought...
>
> Another way they could do it is to recompile some games for the new
> hardware and include them on the hard drive.
> Activation would be via inserting the original disk.

to be honest this has to be the way there doing it, if you wanna play halo
for example you gotta download the halo pach which is basically just the
code part of the game recompiled for 360 and it uses all the same vids/music
and textures from the original dvd.

Gordy

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

In article <Gmrie.7097$X86.4342@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, "Gordy" <gordon_ashSP@Mntlworld.com> wrote:

>"Dr Gordon Crowbar" <Justin@c.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <Radeon350@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Xbox360 will be backwards compatible with Xbox games
>>>

> http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8273/Xbox-360-Details-Emerge-at-E3-2005-Xbox-Pre
>ss-Briefing/
>>>
>>> they will start with the most popular games and work their way down.
>>>

>>> sounds like emulation
>>
>> Just a crazy thought...
>>
>> Another way they could do it is to recompile some games for the new
>> hardware and include them on the hard drive.
>> Activation would be via inserting the original disk.
>>

>to be honest this has to be the way there doing it, if you wanna play halo
>for example you gotta download the halo pach which is basically just the
>code part of the game recompiled for 360 and it uses all the same vids/music
>and textures from the original dvd.
>
>Gordy

Not everyone lives in an area that has broadband. Or like me, i do not want to
pay comcast the unbeleivable $50 + price per month for cable modem.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <Gmrie.7097$X86.4342@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>,
gordon_ashSP@Mntlworld.com says...

<snip>

> > Another way they could do it is to recompile some games for the new
> > hardware and include them on the hard drive.
> > Activation would be via inserting the original disk.
> >

> to be honest this has to be the way there doing it, if you wanna play halo
> for example you gotta download the halo pach which is basically just the
> code part of the game recompiled for 360 and it uses all the same vids/music
> and textures from the original dvd.

Thats pretty much what I expect too. Possibly a hybrid of x86 emulation,
new exe's, patches to replace Nvidia microcode and games that only use
DirectX calls with odd bits of translation too.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On Wed, 18 May 2005 06:31:28 GMT, Dog Bowl
<dogUNDERSCOREbowl@ntlFOODworld.com> wrote:

>In article <Gmrie.7097$X86.4342@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>,
>gordon_ashSP@Mntlworld.com says...
>
><snip>
>
>> > Another way they could do it is to recompile some games for the new
>> > hardware and include them on the hard drive.
>> > Activation would be via inserting the original disk.
>> >

>> to be honest this has to be the way there doing it, if you wanna play halo
>> for example you gotta download the halo pach which is basically just the
>> code part of the game recompiled for 360 and it uses all the same vids/music
>> and textures from the original dvd.
>>

>Thats pretty much what I expect too. Possibly a hybrid of x86 emulation,
>new exe's, patches to replace Nvidia microcode and games that only use
>DirectX calls with odd bits of translation too.

Only about 10% of xbox owners use xbox live. Any form of emulation
that requires you to download a patch doesn't seem like a good idea.
On the other hand, if they plan on increasing the emulation list of
games, XBL makes the most sense. Perhaps they can make the patches
available on live but also make disks available for free through
retailers.

MS may also have the emulation patches installed on the HD, if it's
included in the basic package.

"Imperium" <frankmelo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 06:31:28 GMT, Dog Bowl
> <dogUNDERSCOREbowl@ntlFOODworld.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <Gmrie.7097$X86.4342@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>,
>>gordon_ashSP@Mntlworld.com says...
>>
>><snip>

>>> to be honest this has to be the way there doing it, if you wanna play
>>> halo
>>> for example you gotta download the halo pach which is basically just the
>>> code part of the game recompiled for 360 and it uses all the same
>>> vids/music
>>> and textures from the original dvd.
>>>

>>Thats pretty much what I expect too. Possibly a hybrid of x86 emulation,
>>new exe's, patches to replace Nvidia microcode and games that only use
>>DirectX calls with odd bits of translation too.
>
> Only about 10% of xbox owners use xbox live. Any form of emulation
> that requires you to download a patch doesn't seem like a good idea.
> On the other hand, if they plan on increasing the emulation list of
> games, XBL makes the most sense. Perhaps they can make the patches
> available on live but also make disks available for free through
> retailers.
>
> MS may also have the emulation patches installed on the HD, if it's
> included in the basic package.

Remember that the silver version of Live is gonna be free and 'out of the
box' with the 360.

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

In article <lqWdnWNSmtmkchffRVnysQ@pipex.net>, "Andrew Stirling" <andrewstirling@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>"Imperium" <frankmelo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 18 May 2005 06:31:28 GMT, Dog Bowl
>> <dogUNDERSCOREbowl@ntlFOODworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>>In article <Gmrie.7097$X86.4342@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>,
>>>gordon_ashSP@Mntlworld.com says...
>>>
>>><snip>

>>>Thats pretty much what I expect too. Possibly a hybrid of x86 emulation,
>>>new exe's, patches to replace Nvidia microcode and games that only use
>>>DirectX calls with odd bits of translation too.
>>
>> Only about 10% of xbox owners use xbox live. Any form of emulation
>> that requires you to download a patch doesn't seem like a good idea.
>> On the other hand, if they plan on increasing the emulation list of
>> games, XBL makes the most sense. Perhaps they can make the patches
>> available on live but also make disks available for free through
>> retailers.
>>
>> MS may also have the emulation patches installed on the HD, if it's
>> included in the basic package.
>
>Remember that the silver version of Live is gonna be free and 'out of the
>box' with the 360.

Useless if you cant get broadband where you live.

Jeremey

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

Then move. LOL
I couldn't imagine using dial-up again!

"Jim Campey" <ugvx@no.jfcsoft.spam.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 11:27:54 GMT, "Gordy" <gordon_ashSP@Mntlworld.com>
> wrote:

>>Sounds like the games are being individually recoded maybe so we gotta
>>get
>>the xbox360 version?
>
> If this is the case, then we should get some sort of trade-in. Like £5
> to get the 360 version if you bring in the old Xbox version :)
>
> --
> Jim

Nah...it'll be emulation but they'll focus on the making sure the biggest
games work.

Andrew Stirling wrote:
> "Jim Campey" <ugvx@no.jfcsoft.spam.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>On Tue, 17 May 2005 11:27:54 GMT, "Gordy" <gordon_ashSP@Mntlworld.com>
>>wrote:
>

>>>Sounds like the games are being individually recoded maybe so we gotta
>>>get
>>>the xbox360 version?
>>
>>If this is the case, then we should get some sort of trade-in. Like £5
>>to get the 360 version if you bring in the old Xbox version :)
>>
>>--
>>Jim
>>

> Nah...it'll be emulation but they'll focus on the making sure the biggest
> games work.

Since Xbox and 360 games are all developed in compatible environments,
most Xbox games should be able to be run with little more than a patch.
In a similar way to how Direct X games that were made for Win 98 can
run in XP with a patch.

--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com

andrewstirling@clara.co.uk says...

> "Imperium" <frankmelo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 18 May 2005 06:31:28 GMT, Dog Bowl
> > <dogUNDERSCOREbowl@ntlFOODworld.com> wrote:
> >
> >>In article <Gmrie.7097$X86.4342@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>,
> >>gordon_ashSP@Mntlworld.com says...
> >>
> >><snip>

> >>Thats pretty much what I expect too. Possibly a hybrid of x86 emulation,
> >>new exe's, patches to replace Nvidia microcode and games that only use
> >>DirectX calls with odd bits of translation too.
> >
> > Only about 10% of xbox owners use xbox live. Any form of emulation
> > that requires you to download a patch doesn't seem like a good idea.
> > On the other hand, if they plan on increasing the emulation list of
> > games, XBL makes the most sense. Perhaps they can make the patches
> > available on live but also make disks available for free through
> > retailers.
> >
> > MS may also have the emulation patches installed on the HD, if it's
> > included in the basic package.

Yep, that would tally up with the HD being standard at initial release.
On top of that a vunet article mentioned that one reason for the limited
compatibility is that the code is being recompiled and ported to the 360
and certification is taking a while. That would also match up with the
quotes on 6 weeks to port Xbox to 360, the Xbox HDD version being the
one with backwards compatbility .e.t.c Its not really backwards
compatible its just that some game exectutable images are ported to the
360 and you can use the graphics & map assets on the game disks.

> Remember that the silver version of Live is gonna be free and 'out of the
> box' with the 360.

But then you need the broadband connection.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <KNMie.1065$6d.803@trnddc08>, sheathx013@yahoo.com says...
> Andrew Stirling wrote:
> > "Jim Campey" <ugvx@no.jfcsoft.spam.co.uk> wrote in message

> >>If this is the case, then we should get some sort of trade-in. Like £5
> >>to get the 360 version if you bring in the old Xbox version :)
> >>
> >>--
> >>Jim
> >>

> > Nah...it'll be emulation but they'll focus on the making sure the biggest
> > games work.
> >

> Since Xbox and 360 games are all developed in compatible environments,
> most Xbox games should be able to be run with little more than a patch.
> In a similar way to how Direct X games that were made for Win 98 can
> run in XP with a patch.

Nearly and in many cases probably. The problem is its not Direct X thats
the problem its the nVIDIA microcode. Add to that DirectX is not a
processor its just an API. Rather than a patch it will probably be a
recompile of the code after patches are applied to the source code to
make it work. Of course any x86 assembly code will have to be replaced
or run in some x86 virtual machine.

If anything its more like how Unix software for HP-UX machines can run
on IBM machines running Linux.

Mattinglyfan (deez nuts) wrote:

> Damn skippy. They are gouging me. I can't wait for that Verizon
service to
> go national. Cheaper and faster.

Is DSl really faster? I thought that Cable has a higher maximum speed.
Regardless, I'm getting sick of being ripped off by my cable company
too. I don't think they would be charging $50/ month if they have a
competitor offering broadband service at $25/ month.