Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sound Card for PS3 Gaming 5.1 7.1 Good Directional Sounds

Last response: in Components
July 31, 2012 3:24:47 PM

This will essentially be for gaming (PS3) Keep in mind here the 2 overall goals are to get good directional sounds (5.1..7.1) and potentially better sound at the cheapest price possible.

ENCORE ENMAB-8CM 7.1 (WOULD THIS WORK??)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=29-180-...

POTENTIAL SETUP: PS3 optical audio out >> Optical Input on "ENCORE ENMAB-8CM" >> Gamecon 367 to 3.5mm out (headphone jack on the ENCORE ENMAB-8CM)

CURRENT SETUP: I have my PS3 Composite audio >> PC Line-In >> Gamecon 367 to headphone jack

To explain my current setup.. I my PC can emulate 5.1 and 7.1 Sounds to to a headset according to realtek audio settings. I don't know think it's doing it WELL ENOUGH or probably just not able to work with the composite input according to what I hear when I play.

I AM OPEN ALL SUGGESTIONS. BUT WOULD LIKE CHEAP SOLUTION POTENTIALLY.

***Also be creative ;) 

EDIT: Could this work

http://www.amazon.com/SW201-Component-Selector-Compatib...
August 1, 2012 6:10:00 AM

I read it, Im not looking to by a headset. The one I have is good enough. While I find the dolby headphone interesting is doesn't solve my problem.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
August 1, 2012 12:05:49 PM

You are going to have a few problems with the setup, if I'm understanding things right.

The gist of what I'm reading, is you want to use some form of Dolby Headphone (which the Realtek supports) to virtualize 5.1/7.1 onto a stereo headset.

Here are the problems I forsee with this approach:

1: For any form of virtualization od audio to work, you need to pass through a 5.1/7.1 audio stream. Optical is incapable of 7.1, and only capable of passing through 5.1 when using Dolby/DTS, which are very low quality audio formats. You also have the problem of needing a device that can decode Dolby/DTS audio streams, which a LOT of cheap DAC's can not do. Even most PC soundcards won't decode Dolby/DTS audio comming in over the SPDIF input port anymore...

2: Anything USB based is considered by the PC its own soundcard. It won't matter that the realtek supports virtualization, because you won't be able to use it with a USB based DAC.

[OK, its *possible* you can use one device for input and route the audio to a different output device, but I'm not sure if you'll go through the Realtek drivers or not, and thus not sure if you'll get virtualization working with this approach.]
m
l
August 2, 2012 5:28:15 AM

So what Im understanding is:

1. running an optical cable to a dolby capable soundcard/mixer/amp would work (but isn't an ideal setup) and would give me virtualized surround, correct?

2. "....when using Dolby/DTS, which are very low quality audio formats...." Dolby is not the best surround technology? then what is?

3. how do I know what sound hardware is capable of since it's on the motherboard?

Lastly, So let's say I was willing to just buy all new equipment. What would be an ideal setup? but please give detail as to why if you want to answer this question so I can get a better grasp of this sound stuff.

and if it helps... this is my motherboard

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/785GT-E63.html
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 2, 2012 12:23:51 PM

Quote:
1. running an optical cable to a dolby capable soundcard/mixer/amp would work (but isn't an ideal setup) and would give me virtualized surround, correct?

Using SPDIF won't give you virtualization, it simply allows a (compressed) 5.1 signal to be carried to another device. Whether that device can decode the signal and then perform virtualization on the signal is another matter.

Quote:
2. "....when using Dolby/DTS, which are very low quality audio formats...." Dolby is not the best surround technology? then what is?

Any non-lossy audio format. Typically, using HDMI for digital transport or going direct to analog will maintain the original audio, unlike Dolby/DTS which causes significant loss of quality due to compression.

Quote:
Lastly, So let's say I was willing to just buy all new equipment. What would be an ideal setup? but please give detail as to why if you want to answer this question so I can get a better grasp of this sound stuff.

The main issue is you need to pass in a surround signal for Dolby Headphone to work, but very few hardware can handle BOTH decoding of a Dolby/DTS signal AND perform Dolby Headphone; another reason why I hate having to deal with formats like Dolby/DTS...I really can't see a cheap way to pull off what you want.

(For those wondering, no, you can NOT use a PC soundcard for this. Despite popular belief, soundcards lack the hardware to decode a Dolby/DTS signal that comes in over the SPDIF port. The only soundcard options that might work for this case are the Auzentech HTHD and ASUS HDAV 1.3, both out of the OP's price range.)

The best solution is probably a USB headset that can connect directly to the PS3's USB port that can handle Dolby Headphone internally (I know Sony sells on that does exactly this...)

That being said, I'm probably overlooking a really simple option; I'm not at my best right now (stress). I recommend a post over at head-fi.org, since they're the know-all experts on stuff like this.
m
l
August 2, 2012 1:40:06 PM

Thanks gamerk, you can respond if you wish. So the bottom line is, how can I get the PS3's toslink/sound onto my headset?

What device out there can decode the optical ps3 sound and then encode it for my headset?

and I will post at head-fi.org
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
August 2, 2012 2:13:26 PM

Not sure.

Basically, you need the following to happen:

1: Optical out of PS3 [Dolby/DTS 5.1 audio]
2: Optical in to some piece of equipment that can
A: Decode a Dolby/DTS Audio Stream
B: Perform Dolby Headphone on the decoded audio
3: Send signal to headphone
August 2, 2012 2:38:07 PM

got it. from what I've been hearing the best solution is to get a receiver. but I may go for the Ear Force DSS or Astro Mixamp.

Also does anyone know any headsets that can take advantage of the PS3 virtual surround update. or is the SONY branded headset the only one that can?
m
l
August 9, 2012 1:58:14 AM

Best answer selected by drago10029.
m
l
!