New Build for Photographer/Programmer/Gamer - $1200 - $1400 CAD

Funbucks

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Greetings Tom Hardware! I'm a long-time reader, and I've been antsy to build my own PC for the first time. I am sick of my crummy laptop! :p Edit: I'm looking to build a desktop computer! :)

Approximate Purchase Date: Roughly in the next week or 2. I'm gonna say between Apr 22-29.

Budget Range: $1200 CAD to $1400 CAD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Adobe CS5 ensuite, music and video playback at 1080p + decent library capacities (not a huge issue for HDD space cause I can always buy externals later), programming and gaming + basic os functions/word processors.

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Printer, Speakers, Mouse, Keyboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca, tigerdirect.ca, and maybe canadacomputers.com if there are any good deals :)

Parts Preferences: I'd prefer an intel CPU, and an Antec case (a quiet one..)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes and Maybe. I'd like to but depends on the $$$$ :p

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 is what I've got now.

Additional Comments: A quiet PC would be nice, and I wouldn't mind a window or grille but only if I can afford it!

First thing, I'd wait for Ivy Bridge in a week or so then go for an i5. Preferably the overclockable one.

Also, a few notes on quietness:

- The first thing you should do it keep the power consumption as low as you can. The lower the power consumption, the less heat is created. The less heat there this, the less work the fans have to do to cool the system.

- The next thing is to get a closed style case that doesn't have too many vents. They are good for getting rid of heat but they also let a lot of noise out. You should only need 2 x low RPM 120mm fans to keep it running cool if you keep the power consumption low anyway.

- Next I would make sure all your fans are on low settings. When under load, the GPU and CPU fans will speed up on their own anyway so you shouldn't need to worry.

Another thing to think about, heatsinks can help to cool a system without making any noise so I would be sure to get a nice big CPU heatsink and go for a GPU with a nice big one as well. It means the fans won't have to work as hard.

EDIT: One last thing, I would certainly avoid SLI/Crossfire in this build. It adds more fans to the system and makes the power consumption sky high. It will make any system a lot noisier.

I would also think about vibrations, that is another way noise can be amplified in the system. If you can fit a SSD in the build somewhere, the HDD's will have to spin a lot less so that should help with low noise as well. Also, the fewer HDD's the better in terms of low noise. For any HDD's that are in the system, make sure they are on rubber mounts, they can help to kill vibrations.

Funbucks

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
thanks a lot for the reply! it really helps! I re-read my post and im about to edit it, but it alludes to that I want to build a laptop. THIS IS NOT WHAT I AM GOING FOR! :O

I want to build a desktop! Sorry!

Funbucks

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

Hey! Thanks for the reply;

I'm actually just getting into programming and web development. I'm planning to learn HTML5, php and javascript over the summer. Do you think these languages and the programs they use require a much stronger PC??

"I've tried many times to get a gaming GPU to run with Solidworks and also to get a pro card to run games. It doesn't work well. Good luck."

Thanks for the reply; see the above note on the coding/web dev I'd like to do...would you still think this is a bad idea?

l0v3rboi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

I'm not entirely sure about the other languages. My gf is a software developer and she uses Netbeans for Java. The bottleneck of her laptop is typically her cpu (provided that her processor is a dual core intel T something). LOL. I7 would really be beneficial in this case because of hyperthreading. It would make compiling the program faster.