Windows Vista Questions?

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Considering there isnt a Windows Vista section yet, and I went to search and put in "Vista" and got nothing I decided to put it here.

So for my few questions, I just downloaded the Vista RC1. I will be installing it probably monday or tuesday on a spare but capable PC, it will have nothing on its HD so it will be a clean install.

1) Any problems I should be warned about?

2) ** Big question what programs are out that can use Vista, like what aims, utilities etc.?

3) Will it beable to install my Radeon 9550 ATI Drivers?

And anything that will stop me from using, trying or doing this, possibly a driver problem or something.

Thanks for any comments and information.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Considering there isnt a Windows Vista section yet, and I went to search and put in "Vista" and got nothing I decided to put it here.

So for my few questions, I just downloaded the Vista RC1. I will be installing it probably monday or tuesday on a spare but capable PC, it will have nothing on its HD so it will be a clean install.

1) Any problems I should be warned about?

2) ** Big question what programs are out that can use Vista, like what aims, utilities etc.?

3) Will it beable to install my Radeon 9550 ATI Drivers?

And anything that will stop me from using, trying or doing this, possibly a driver problem or something.

Thanks for any comments and information.
Lots of programs work. I couldn't find a driver for my crappy SB PCI 16bit sound card. Finally after no sound for 3-4 days, MS had the SB driver for me as a windows update. I had a hard time getting my NIC working also. AdAware and Spybot work, as well as AVG. Most benchmarks work. I'm not all excited about the wallpaper/desktop, so, as usual(also saves resources) i run a plain black desktop background. You're gonna want to disable all unnecessary services and start-up programs, or you'll be using copious amounts of RAM..idle on desktop. I haven't tried any office-type apps yet(word/office,open-office,etc.). Other than that, nothing to be concerned about. It's interesting, and purdy. :wink: Install was uneventful. GL :)

PS.. IE7 actually works nice. Cool zoom feature.

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
In general, every software works EXCEPT those that need drivers. Like Antivirus some work some dont, Daemon tools not working, Nero not working, etc...

So basically if you need a driver to make it work you may have issues.

I've been running all ther versions (now on RC2) and my main issues are Nero and Daemon tools

Have fun

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
In general, every software works EXCEPT those that need drivers. Like Antivirus some work some dont, Daemon tools not working, Nero not working, etc...

So basically if you need a driver to make it work you may have issues.

I've been running all ther versions (now on RC2) and my main issues are Nero and Daemon tools

Have fun

Nero 6-series, especially Nero 6.0.1.16, work well in both 32 and 64-bit Vista RC1 and RC2. There's a "compatibility" notice at installation start up which can be ignored, let run at "recommended" settings. Virtual drive doesn't work of course. Nero 7-series does not install or run in Vista. Alcohol is iffy. Daemon-tools 3-series will work under the administrator account in 32-bit, not at all in 64-bit. Daemon-tools for XP X64 might work, I haven't tried it.. 4-series Daemon-tools does not work at all. Avast antivirus is good, free, and supports Vista.

Just about all programs that need overlay, such as PowerDVD, do work but Vista switches from Aero to basic desktop when running. Some wireless Lans, such as the one native to the Asus P5W DH, are NOT supported yet, but everything else on the P5W DH has drivers including all the ATA ports and Realtek audio. There's no Remote support. Check for the latest Bios for your motherboard as some are starting to provide Vista-specific settings such as audio and AHCI type.

Games are a few fps slower but DO all run under vista, as does Premiere and some video editing applications and Sound Forge, Wavelab etc. Pinnacle/Avid does NOT install, and after forced install does not run. Many Warez cracks will not work due to different port-mappings in Vista, but legitimate versions of the same programs do run. (Algorithmix Pro and Nuendo for instance.)

All in all Vista is a good experience if you have a good system.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I was able to install drivers for all of my peripherals since Beta 2. With 32 bit Vista, most XP drivers work and they don't have to be signed. My biggest difficulty so far has been Nero, which not only doesn't work but also litters the registry with entries that conflict with Vista's Media Center. Uninstalling doesn't completely eliminate these entries and I had to manually uninstall by going into the registry and cleaning everything up. Heed Vista's warnings and don't even try to install Nero. To burn CD and DVD images you can use ImgBurn. There are other freeware and shareware programs to compile the images. Programs like CPU-Z and Speedfan work fine when you run them as an administrator. Also take into account that you might have to perform a clean install when Vista is finally released next year, but you can use the migration wizard (Windows Easy Transfer) to back-up your files and settings and restore them after a clean install. Avoid programs that require to be loaded at startup. If you still need to install them and they don't load properly at startup you can use a utility like autoruns to prevent them from doing so. The program should still work when you launch it manually. The RC builds will work until June 07.

You can keep both Vista and XP in the same drive on different partitions. The bootloader will prompt you. To change the bootloader's settings (default OS, etc.) I recommend VistaBootPRO. It can be installed on both XP and Vista. If you don't want to deal with bootloaders then install Vista on a separate drive.

The 9550 is supported by ATi's Vista beta drivers but I'm not sure if Aero will work.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I was able to install drivers for all of my peripherals since Beta 2. With 32 bit Vista, most XP drivers work and they don't have to be signed. My biggest difficulty so far has been Nero, which not only doesn't work but also litters the registry with entries that conflict with Vista's Media Center. Uninstalling doesn't completely eliminate these entries and I had to manually uninstall by going into the registry and cleaning everything up. Heed Vista's warnings and don't even try to install Nero. To burn CD and DVD images you can use ImgBurn. There are other freeware and shareware programs to compile the images.

I've used Nero since Vista 54-something. The problem is that the full package of Nero installs all sorts of junk, audio editing, codecs, etc which are not needed and DO conflict not only with Vista's settings but even cause problems in MCE or regular multimedia-heavy installs of XP. The newer the build of Nero the worse this problem. Nero itself as a burner works and is safe. If the files are extracted from the Nero exe you can then go to the temp directory and install JUST the writing program. That leaves the rest alone. The burning tool in DVDlab, which is not a predatory install at all, also works well for Video DVDs. DVDdecrypter needs no installation and writes ISOs well.That's why Imgburn is ok, again it doesn't put crap into the registry. The only burning program officially approved by MS is Sonic Solution's (Roxio I think, Yeech!) By the way, some programs, such as TyTool and DVDlab actually run BETTER in Vista than they ever did in XP. Smoother, less freeze-prone, and Vista's automatic sorting of directory files makes vob extraction faster.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Busted, I tried to install just Nero 6 but the installer didn't give me the choice to not install the other stuff. Is there a way around this? I also tried a version 6 OEM I had laying around here and that worked OK in Beta 2 but not so with the RCs. Any suggestions? I do use Nero Vision under XP and will buy the Vista compatible version when it's released, but for the time being I'll just use Vista's built-in capabilities for burning video DVDs from the DVR content.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I just installed Nero 7 (7.5.something) on my PC running Vista (new install, not upgrade, too).

It is a pain, and I had to use WinXP SP2 compatiblity, and when it "stopped responding", I quit the install, and re-ran it right away, and it finished. It was kind of strange.

I have it running, fine and dandy now. No conflicts, or anything.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I just installed Nero 7 (7.5.something) on my PC running Vista (new install, not upgrade, too).

It is a pain, and I had to use WinXP SP2 compatiblity, and when it "stopped responding", I quit the install, and re-ran it right away, and it finished. It was kind of strange.

I have it running, fine and dandy now. No conflicts, or anything.

7 IS a big pain, and not just the installation. Use 6.0.1.16, (or 6.0.1.18, though I found the latter a bit buggier myself) as recommended in the Vista forums, and as according to my own experience. Ahead, along with all the other companies, will soon start releasing Vista-compatible software, but knowing Nero it will be buggy as Hell until 2008.. 6.0.1.16 is probably the most trouble-free build of DVD-compatible Nero ever released it seems. It installs in Vista without any issues.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Yes AIM triton works, but you can't just download it. You need to search for AIM Vista or somethign along those lines in google

Here is the link

Thought I might help ya out. I can't speak to Yahoo IM or anything other than AIM, but I thought I would drop the link. I personaly would move to RC2 if it were 64bit but at this time they have only released a 32bit version (at least that I could find hehe).

Actual problems: X-FI has no drivers, they have an old set but its build specific so I have to use built in audio on my mobo, which blows compared to a $200 X-Fi Platinum Pro. Logitech has 0 drivers for Vista so don't expect Setpoint. All chipset stuff works flawlessly, NIC's included. Vista is quick to judge when a window doesn't respond, meh. I really need to map the settings functions because M$ has moved alot of sh!t around and renamed it as well. Took me forever to find the damn icon size adjuster.

Edit: Rc2 for 64 bit is up, I just started the download.

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Where did you get Vista RC2? I looked for it when i was going threw the RC1 stuff I didn't see it anywhere.. Link would be very nice thank you.

My PC Specs when I install it tomorrow or Tuesday will be

ASUS P4SP-MX Mobo
Celeron 1.8GHz Processor
768 Mbs of Ram
Radeon 9550 Graphics Card

I really could carealess if I get sound.

I'm mainly installing Vista to test it out, see what its got under the hood.

Thanks Storm

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Anyone have any comments on the newer RC2 version?

And can you install on a empty harddrive like RC1 or do you need to upgrade to it or something?

Thanks very much

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I am working on getting RC2 setup. I just burned the DVD, stay tuned for my evaluation. I realize I am not a appropriately qualified person to put out a review, but I will just be voicing my thoughts as I usually do, so take it with a grain of salt. I will be reformatting my RC1 install and installing RC2 clean to give me a good view of how Vista should behave as a clean install.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Games run about 30% slower under vista than XP. I read it will be like that in the final product too. Thats enough for me to stay with XP right there.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Games run about 30% slower under vista than XP. I read it will be like that in the final product too. Thats enough for me to stay with XP right there.

I would really love to know where you got that from, because from my experiance my game (s) have run on par with XP. (meaning 5FPS difference give or take)

Side note: still installing software, setup was painless and drivers were all installed correctly for onboard hardware except audio, as usual.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Alright let me start off saying one thing: RC2 is almost the same damned thing as RC1, just slightly more responsive.

My guess is that M$ just fixed alot of little things that crashed the OS or programs. It took me 30 minutes from booting to the DVD to first glance at the desktop. It took 8.5 minutes to expand the files off the DVD on the HDD. The setup is the exact same, same unattended setup until the configuration screen on first boot. The configuration is the same, except I don't remember having to specify that I was connecting to a home network twice, which I did this time through. All in all Vista installed all my hardware correctly except for onboard audio and X-Fi and mouse and keyboard, but all of that was expected due to a lack of drivers. There are Vista specific drivers for Realtek HD Audio, and the Vista X-Fi drivers are build specific and I really didn't want to deal with the hassle of trying them again, given the small time frame I am working on.

As for overall performance, the Vista system assessment took about 3 minutes and was done before I logged in the first time. The system became partially unresponsive (sort of expected during a performance analysis). The system analyzer spit back the same performance numbers as I got under RC1, and are as follows:

CPU (AMD 3800+ @ 2.7GHz): 4.4
RAM (Mushkin 3-3-2-8 @ DDR490, 2x1GB): 5.3
Geforce 7900GTX (Included drivers, more on that later): 5.9
Gaming Graphics: 5.9
Hard Drive (Freshly formatted Diamond Max 10 300GB): 5.3

I had to leave my other 2 hard drives unplugged during installation in order to facilitate unattended installation, so I decided to try something: plug in the 2 SATA drives with Windows booted, just to see how it handles it compared to XP.

The result: Vista did not initially recognize them, so I went into device manager and hit search for hardware changes and Vista picked them up perfectly. Contrary to XP, Vista did not stall or lag or freeze momentarily when the hard drives were attached. Take it as you well, but just a FYI lol.

I tested my OCZ Rally 1GB USB flash drive and again it wasn't ReadyBoost qualified (no surprise there). Again the folder view options are hidden under in windows explorer under Organize... I still don't understand why, but hey its still the same as RC1 (didn't expect a change).

On load, which was definitely smoother than XP boot, I idled at 4-5% CPU and 31% RAM which equates to 635MB of RAM consumed just for Vista to sit around... which is on par with, possibly 1-2% less, RC1. I have AeroGlass and every other feature possible activated. So worst case scenario you can expect Vista to consume 600-650MB RAM with all features enabled.

Oh, I did download nVidia's RC1 specific graphics driver, just to see how it interacted with RC2, and it wasn't very nice. It disabled Aero Glass. I never installed it when I ran RC1, so I can't tell whether it was just due to the driver, or whether the driver really did hate RC2. So I tested the roll back driver feature, and it worked beautifully no restart necessary.

I still don't like where M$ buried the audio configuration. It is not that they buried it, but its in a strange place. You have to click on your speakers and then click configure. To me that's kind of strange, although I see their logic. I am just not used to configuring speakers inside an OS, I usually do it with the Creative installation process. I haven't had a chance to test the optical out feature, so I don't yet know if somehow we can get surround sound through optical out instead of PCM stereo sound we get under XP. I will get there at some point tonight.

Whether you care about any of this is none of my business, these are just the things I have run into in my 45 min on RC2. Like I said I am not a qualified reviewer, and I will be delving deeper into RC2 once I get the time, but I am writing an accounting test at the moment so I took a break to write this skin and bones review.

On to gaming performance. The only game I have time to really test is Lineage II because I have the install on my hard drive and I don't have to go through 20 different updates and 4 CD's like BF2 ( I don't have alot of games, too cheap lol). Well the actual performance is much better. The same place I logged off last time right outside near Devastated Castle (for those of you who may play). It was lagging horribly, I was constantly skipping frames, having issues switching between game logs (I overlay 3 different characters and play them all at the same time on the same computer) it was just a wreck. This time when I logged in, it was much smoother. The load was faster, there was no white screen (when the window became unresponsive Vista turned it white), and overall game play was very good. There was the occasional lag step but that happens. When I get time I will put BF2 through the paces, but again, without X-FI I can't know exactly how well it will perform because the onboard audio will be sucking up CPU cycles, but such is life.

There it is, my first impressions in a very very fast review.

In conclusion, RC2 = RC1 + performance boost.

Edit: I forgot my complaints against Windows Explorer. They are the same as RC1, but why on earth do all of my folders open with the stupid tiling of folder icons? That is just damned annoying, I mean really annoying. When I switch to details view (the preferred view for me) I get rating, tags, date taken, for a folder full of downloads (apps, folders mainly). That doesn't make alot of sense to me. The only useful thing that comes up already as a column is size. So every time I have to go delete unnecessary columns and add useful ones that I like (date created, type). On the bright side, there is an endless choice for column headers.

Edit: used Firefox RC2 to spell check this bad boy, sorry for the misspelled words.

thanks for 3 stars, I'd like to see you do better with under 30 min of usage time to compare

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Pretty good review, more the better.

I was wondering how the Vista Voice Recognition was, havent really read anything about it, anyone have any time to use it yet and if so how is it?

And any other new features from Vista that are werth using and knowing about.

Thanks very much Storm~

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I honestly have no clue about voice recognition. I have acctually never used it within the context of an OS. The only time I have ever used it is on my bluetooth headset for voice dialing so I could talk and drive. Therefore, it wasn't on my list of things to evaluate. Like I said, I am just putting my 2 cents out there, while M$ has done a good job, they have moved so many things I don't know where jack crap is anymore. AHHHHHH I feel lost. I am a kid in a candy store and I am surrounded by vegtables and told the candy has been hidden. :lol:

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
lol tru, I cant wait to see if I can get it up and running tomorrow or tuesday.

And about if anyone care's about your reviews and stuff, I'm very interested in anything you have to say about it.

Thanks Storm~