Sign in with
Your question

$1200 Gaming PC Upgrade

Last response: in Systems
April 18, 2012 3:37:53 PM

Hey Guys,
Upgrading my PC and looking for some advice about the components. First up, let me iron out the details.
Following the forums suggestions on asking for advice:

Approximate Purchase Date: Sooner the better, system must be built before early-June (Deadline).
Budget Range: <= $1200
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, other media, 3D modelling, general internet surfing and study etc.
Parts Not Required: Case, Storage HDD, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, other software,
Parts Preferences: Based on current knowledge and options; Video card: ATI AMD, CPU: Intel, Mobo: Asus/Gigabyte
Overclocking: Definitely
SLI or Crossfire: As a future prospect, most likely purchase a motherboard with capability to help 'future proof' the system
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

I have a build in mind based around what I have dug up spending some time researching but I'm still unsure about some of the new
technology coming out. I'm unsure whether its worth getting a early Z77 instead of a Z68 and this also applies to Intel's new Ivy Bridge
or Sandy Bridge. I've seen a few benchmarks and I'm aware IB don't seem to overclock like the good ol' Sandy Bridge Processors and
there are pros and cons for each. One thing that I've decided upon is the video Card; most likely ATI 7950 or 70 depending on pricing
of other components

Thanks for any help in advance :D 

More about : 1200 gaming upgrade

April 18, 2012 4:06:22 PM

Quote:
I'm unsure whether its worth getting a early Z77 instead of a Z68 and this also applies to Intel's new Ivy Bridge
or Sandy Bridge. I've seen a few benchmarks and I'm aware IB don't seem to overclock like the good ol' Sandy Bridge Processors and
there are pros and cons for each.

Huh, I hadn't heard that about IB - it's seeming like that's only confirming my suspicions more than anything. I'd like to see those benchmarks.

Quote:
One thing that I've decided upon is the video Card; most likely ATI 7950 or 70 depending on pricing
of other components

The 7950 and 7970 were just reduced in price - I know for sure in the US, whether it's taken effect world wide or not I don't know - if there's a store you buy from knowing local availability will help to confirm that.
m
l
April 19, 2012 1:08:40 AM

Quote:
Huh, I hadn't heard that about IB - it's seeming like that's only confirming my suspicions more than anything. I'd like to see those benchmarks.

The benchmarks were just performance ones nothing to do with the supposed overclocking issue. I had just discussed this with someone who has
more knowledge in the subject. They said they might, I was just going along with what they were saying.

Quote:
The 7950 and 7970 were just reduced in price - I know for sure in the US, whether it's taken effect world wide or not I don't know - if there's a store you buy from knowing local availability will help to confirm that.

Yeah, I've been watching the prices of the 7950 and 7970s for a while and they have dropped significantly. $600 down to $480 AUS.

The real question is: Buy Z68 and Sandy Bridge, save some money and have a similar performance or go buy a Ivy Bridge and Z77 for the new 'perks'.
m
l
April 19, 2012 6:03:56 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I've been watching the prices of the 7950 and 7970s for a while and they have dropped significantly. $600 down to $480 AUS.

Yeah I know the 7950 drops like the week after I buy my 7870. Of course. :lol: 

Quote:
The real question is: Buy Z68 and Sandy Bridge, save some money and have a similar performance or go buy a Ivy Bridge and Z77 for the new 'perks'.

Z77 boards are out now. There's no difference in cost - the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H is nearly identical in price to the Z68XP-UD3H.

Ivy Bridge is out next week (finally!!!!), and there so far isn't a huge significant cost increase between the i5-2500K and i5-3570K - maybe between $20 - $40.
m
l
!