UPS battery question

Tags:
  • Battery
  • Hard Drives
  • Power
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 31, 2012 5:50:27 PM

I currently live on university family housing and receive power 'flickers' maybe 2-3 times a week. Ones that I notice anyways. I like to leave my computer on sleep mode with the hard drives on (2x ssd & 2x hdd) rather than wearing out the power button on the case. I'm thinking of buying a UPS, leaning towards CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD, but had a question regarding batteries.

Do they recharge by themselves until the battery naturally wears out or do I have to buy battery replacements? Thanks in advance!

More about : ups battery question

July 31, 2012 5:56:37 PM

rageofthepeon said:
Do they recharge by themselves until the battery naturally wears out or do I have to buy battery replacements? Thanks in advance!

Most UPSes use gel or AGM lead-acid batteries which they slow/trickle-charge between power events until batteries need replacement due to degradation of their electrodes. The replacement period is 3-6 years depending on operating environment, quality, usage, etc.
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:16:17 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply. One more question before I close it out. What wattage do you recommend I get for my current specs?

HAF-X
2x 256GB Samsung 830
500gb WD Black
2tb SeaGate Barracuda
Sapphire Radeon 7970
Intel 3770k
Gigabyte z77 UD5H-WB
1050w SeaSonic Gold
8gb DDR3
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 31, 2012 6:27:20 PM

You would need about 500W for computer + monitor + bit of headroom if power goes out while gaming, which translates into a ~800VA rating for the UPS.
July 31, 2012 6:30:45 PM

Best answer selected by rageofthepeon.
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:40:50 PM

BTW, make sure to check the UPS' run-time charts to verify that whatever UPS you decide to buy has large enough batteries to last as long as you think you need them to. Depending on how many minutes you want, you might need to look into 1-1.5kVA units.
m
l
!