Sign in with
Your question

Paste that baby ! HOW?

Last response: in CPUs
July 31, 2012 6:00:01 PM

hey all.
just about to finish my build gw And I need help.

whats the best way to apply thermal paste to cool the cpu?
Im using Noctua nh-D14 cooler (and noctua paste) with i5-3570k

More about : paste baby

a c 109 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 6:05:12 PM

Some people say put a pea size amount on the CPU and let the heatsink/waterblock spread the paste or evenly spread a thin layer of paste on the CPU.

Personally i like to do the first method...
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 6:05:43 PM

You'll have a ton of answers for this, but the way I've always done it (with ANY HSF and CPU) is to put a small "pea sized" dot in the center of the CPU heatspreader and don't spread it, just let the heastsink itself spread it when you install it. I've always had great results doing that.
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2012 6:11:40 PM

So I dont squeeze turn or anything? just pea sized in centre and apply the Noctua fan?
I'm guessing I will need to put the case laying flat (not standing).

So bascially, will my steps be like this??:
1)while laying flat, place the cPU in it's socket.
2)when standing, take the back door of case out, install the backplate of the Noctua cooler.
3)lay the case down on its back.
4)apply the paste.
5)fix the hitsink&fan into position.

Is that correct?
And I'm using the bundled Noctua paste, I think Noctua has a great cooler, so I trust they make good paste for it.

m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 6:14:52 PM

Yes, just put a pea size blob of paste (not too big) on the centre of the CPU and put the Noctua on....
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 6:14:56 PM

Ransome said:
So I dont squeeze turn or anything? just pea sized in centre and apply the Noctua fan?
I'm guessing I will need to put the case laying flat (not standing).

So bascially, will my steps be like this??:
1)while laying flat, place the cPU in it's socket.
2)when standing, take the back door of case out, install the backplate of the Noctua cooler.
3)lay the case down on its back.
4)apply the paste.
5)fix the hitsink&fan into position.

Is that correct?
And I'm using the bundled Noctua paste, I think Noctua has a great cooler, so I trust they make good paste for it.

That all looks good to me. :)  Obviously, you just need to make sure that you get the heatsink itself screwed down tight and you should be good to go.
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:16:46 PM

OK, I hope I get this right, thanks alot for the help guys.
Btw, can I use this apportunity to ask a small question regarding SSDs?
My main and only drive is Crucial 256GB m4 series.
Do I need to make any tweaks to use it or stuff, or is it simple plug and play?

My mobo is Asus Sabertooth z77. Thx
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 6:18:15 PM

Tweaks, no, its plug and play, its like a normal drive but much faster...
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 6:19:57 PM

You'll need to make sure that you use a SATA III 6 Gb/s port on the board and that AHCI mode is selected in the BIOS before you install Windows, but other than that, it's pretty much plug and play, yeah.
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:22:47 PM

Thank you, once again. Don't know if you know this, but on my mobo I have two brown Sata 6/gb, 4 black 3/gb Sata, and additional double gray 6/gb.

The first brown sata 6/gb is supposdly Intel's.
While the lowest two, the gray sata are Asusmedia.
Don't know what this means, for now I connected the SSd to the Brown one.

According to specs of the mobo, it got 4 Sata 6/gb (SATA 3) connectors, so I guess they are the same?

Sry for the awkward question.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 6:25:35 PM

Doubt there would be a difference.
Unless Asus added a few more...
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 6:25:54 PM

Use one of the Intel ports. It doesn't REALLY matter all that much, but every now and then, third party SATA ports will cause problems with SSD's.
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:54:23 PM

Thank you, I will keep that in mind. I am sure Asus made great job with the board, but since I only have one drive (I use sata 3 for the optic drive) I can start by using the Brown Intel one.

Oh, and is there a way to make sure the SSD runs on SATA 3?
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 6:55:37 PM

It should run on sata 3 on default in a sata 3 port.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 6:56:30 PM

Ransome said:
Oh, and is there a way to make sure the SSD runs on SATA 3?

As long as it's on a SATA III port and you're using a SATA III cable, it will. The most important thing really, is AHCI mode, like I mentioned.
m
l
July 31, 2012 7:01:06 PM

Hey someone just wrote me this in another post:

crisan_tiberiu said:
theese are some tweaks for your SSD:
- disable system restore
- disable auto defrag (dont defrag manualy aswell)
- disable prefetch and superfetch
- enable AHCI in BIOS before you install the OS.
- get an HDD as backup ;)  ...really, the risk its there
thats about it. Everything above you can google and found the answer easy :) 
GL and hf with your SSD

Now 1) why not just set system restore to say 5%, won't eat alot of space and I still get good backups.
2) why not defrag?? defragmation is very important for stability and performance, I do it regulary with my HDD (manualy).
3) whats that? how do u do that?
4)and I'm not sure where to find this AHCI, what does it do, and why it's important?

On one hand you guys say its plug and play, but then some say you need to to some tweaks..
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 7:08:41 PM

Ransome said:
Hey someone just wrote me this in another post:

Now 1) why not just set system restore to say 5%, won't eat alot of space and I still get good backups.
2) why not defrag?? defragmation is very important for stability and performance, I do it regulary with my HDD (manualy).
3) whats that? how do u do that?
4)and I'm not sure where to find this AHCI, what does it do, and why it's important?

On one hand you guys say its plug and play, but then some say you need to to some tweaks..

1. That's a good point, he just recommends that to save some space.

2. Because defragging can cause more wear and tear on the drive (SSD's have a finite number writes) and TRIM kind of accomplshes the same thing, I think.

3. Honestly not sure myself because I have no actual experience with it.

4. AHCI is selectable in the BIOS where you configure the drives and it allows the SSD to run at full speed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_I...
m
l
July 31, 2012 7:19:00 PM

Whats the best way to do this TRIM thing with my Crucial?
Can't find reliable detail out there..
And is it really needed?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 7:20:38 PM

This is just a general overview of what TRIM accomplishes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM , but again, since I have no first hand experience with SSD's, I can't really comment on it much.
m
l
July 31, 2012 7:26:40 PM

Um... according to this thread, it seems like TRIM works automatically in Win7, if I understood what I read.

Although the second page says something about Crucial M4's Grabage Collection and even "disabling TRIM support"...
Hell, why is it so complicated :o ?

I'm going to post another thread in Harddrives, see if people know how this TRIM works with Crucial and the rest..

Btw, the cable I use is indeed 6 gb/s. Lol why couldn't they just write SATA 3 and make it easier for me to figure it out?

Thanks so much for the help people.
m
l
July 31, 2012 7:30:51 PM

Hey is this automatic or you have to give it a manual command or something? I really don't get it.
And will it work with my Crucial, please help I'm really concerned.
m
l
July 31, 2012 7:42:54 PM

Hey thanks guys, I think I got it. Will run the checking command just to be sure.
Disable defrag, set restore etc.

And I will look for the AHCI option on my Asus BIOS before I install Win7, ok!

As for the Thermal paste, I do the "pea" dot method like you suggested. Hope the Noctua Paste is good for the job.
Truly appreciate all the help.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 7:43:41 PM

Happy to help...
And Check if Trim is enabled....
m
l
July 31, 2012 7:48:46 PM

Yeah will do, thx! Oh and for now I don't have HDD.
I am trying to go all SSD for optimal performance and so the system will be more enjoyable.
I thinking of buying another SSD if the price comes down in several months, or in case the 256GB SSD won't be enough, I will get some HDD.
What do you think?
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 7:52:39 PM

Use the SSD as a boot drive and use it for games and stuff and use a HDD for data.
m
l
July 31, 2012 8:20:19 PM

Ok will consider it, thanks.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 8:27:31 PM

Your welcome.
m
l
!