DELL Latitude D420 "L" key is erratic

redleif

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Hello,
The L key on my DELL Latitude D420 is balky. Sometimes it types fine, other times it doesn't type and I have to hit it harder. And then, I occasionally get a double. Anything I can do to rectify this?

Solution

The keys are usually attached with a one side snap and the other side hook type of clipping action. Gently pry, do not force it, and check on the internet to see how these keys are usually taken out and put back in. If you gently lift by a corner, and it doesn't budge, try a different corner, but do not force it.
Sounds like your keyboard's L letter has worn out. Is your laptop still under warranty?

Also - does this issue occur with a USB keyboard? If not, you could just use the USB keyboard.

If a USB keyboard does work - and your laptop is out of warranty, you might be able to find a replacement keyboard online somewhere, but it might be a tricky install as some keyboards are a pain the *&^ to install.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

If you want to, you can take the key cap out, and look at the underlying scissor mechanism to see if there is something obvious in the way of the mechanism and clear that up. Beyond that, you need to either disassemble the keyboard to check the electrical-membrane contact underneath the silicone nipple, or replace the keyboard (should be easy-ish) by getting a cheap one on eBay.

redleif

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks!

Laptop is way out of warranty. Hand-me-down from my sister.

redleif

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Never did this before; anything special involved or can I take a small putty knife and simply pry the key cap off?

Appreciate the help.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

The keys are usually attached with a one side snap and the other side hook type of clipping action. Gently pry, do not force it, and check on the internet to see how these keys are usually taken out and put back in. If you gently lift by a corner, and it doesn't budge, try a different corner, but do not force it.

Solution