Solved

New Machine for Adobe video editing - Please review

Hi there.

I’m within days of pulling the trigger on ordering the parts for my first build. Could you please take a look and let me know what you think. The purpose for this computer is for video editing with Adobe’s Master Collection 5. Thank you very much.
--Ken

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge BX80623I72600K ($320-Amazon)

MOBO: ASUS LGA 1155 - Z68 - P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 ($195-Amazon)

RAM: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00` [NewEgg $46.99 (X2 = $94) Free Shipping]

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply (NewEgg $130 + 6.00 Shipping)

GPU: EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) HD 2560MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card [NewEgg $349.99; Save $10 Mail-in Rebate $7.56 Shipping]

OPTICAL: LG WH12LS38K 12X Internal SATA Blu-Ray/DVD Burner with Lightscribe Support Writer/Drive ($85-Amazon)

HDD 1: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) [NewEgg $159.99 Was: $199.99 Free Shipping]

HDD 2: WD 500gb (on hand)

CASE: Cooler Master HAF X (on hand)

HDMI CABLE: Mediabridge Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable With Ethernet - (25 Feet) - Category 2 Certified - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel [Latest HDMI Version Available] (Amazon 19.99)

TOTAL: $1360
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about machine adobe video editing review
  1. Best answer
    Wow...you really went for it here. The only thing that comes to minds that you're gonna much more storage than 500GB for CS5 MC, and you're going to need an aftermarket HSF/cooler if your plan on OCing. If you wanted to reduce cost, then I suggest downgrading (yeah right) to an i5 2500k or even a less expensive non OC sandyB i5. You could also downgrade the mobo to an ASRock Ex4 z77, but you'll only be saving about 50 bucks.
  2. Hi Ken,

First off, have you been on Adobe's website and checked the recommended Video Cards?

I recently upgraded my video editing PC and i spoke with a guy who tested the cards from Adobe via their forum and he says that the list contains the ones that perform the best with After Effects Etc and he advised me on my card. He is quite fair and suggested one that would be sufficient with my computer power and needs as opposed to price.

Also, have you considered a good ASIO external soundcard like a MOTU or an M-Audio? I know Adobe recommend those also.

After Effects can be very RAM hungry too.

Good Luck with it.

TCT :D
  3. Thank you, James, for your reply

I put the order in today (already). Glad you were impressed with the items I chose. But I particularly appreciate your thoughts on the after-market cooler. It was a question I entertained from the start.

I searched NewEgg for "HSF cooler," and Newegg said there were no matches. So, they gave me the following match instead: COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AB-GP 200mm Blue LED Case Fan. ($19, free shipping, 5 stars with 456 reviews)

Then I got to thinking that HSF is not a brand, but an abbreviation. So the Internet said HSF stands for Heat Sink and Fan (I'm brand new, you see, at building my own.)

Anyway, what after-market cooler would you recommend for my rig?

In the beginning I won't overclock, because I don't how. But as time goes on, I'll research the method, and I may try it.

--Ken
  4. thechemisttree said:
    Hi Ken,

First off, have you been on Adobe's website and checked the recommended Video Cards?

I recently upgraded my video editing PC and i spoke with a guy who tested the cards from Adobe via their forum and he says that the list contains the ones that perform the best with After Effects Etc and he advised me on my card. He is quite fair and suggested one that would be sufficient with my computer power and needs as opposed to price.

Also, have you considered a good ASIO external soundcard like a MOTU or an M-Audio? I know Adobe recommend those also.

After Effects can be very RAM hungry too.

Good Luck with it.

TCT :D

Hi ChemistTree,

Yes, the GPU I selected is listed by Adobe as compatible for MC5.

Good idea about the external sound card. I'll check out the MOTU and the M-Audio cards you mentioned.

Thank you for your input.

--Ken
  5. Best answer selected by kenkyle.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product