Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unlimited Ivy Bridge Budget

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
April 18, 2012 5:51:58 PM

Hey All,

I've already purchased the following:

3x Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F240GBGT-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

2x SAPPHIRE 11197-01-40G Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I also have 3x 23" LCD panels I'll be using as the current machine will be relegated to the basement as an ESXi server.

I'll be purchasing an Intel Core i7-3770K on release day.



I'm looking for suggestions on MB and RAM. I run a ton of virtual machines at any given time... chrome, ie, safari, and firefox are usually open with multiple tabs each. I'll also usually have a debugger open, and two versions of visual studio. I think 16GB is probably enough. I'm interested in hearing what you guys think of buying a 2x8GB kit to allow for upgrade later. I noticed the manufacturers tend to charge more for a 4x8 GB kit than two 2x8 GB kits (supposedly because they are all tested together as a set).

I'd like a MB that supports RAID but keep in mind I have an QNAP device with 4x2TB drives in it for critical storage.

Thanks in advance!
Jeremy

EDIT:

Newegg.ca preferred... I'm from Canada.
Overclocking: yes
SLI: Yes
Resolution:3 x 1920x1080

More about : unlimited ivy bridge budget

April 18, 2012 6:11:57 PM

3 240GB SSDs is quite a bit overkill - I would have gone with a single 240GB and a 2 - 3TB HD, then put that money into getting 3 x 680 in SLI. But that's just me.

If you want a motherboard suggestion here's the perfect one: http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=151-IB-E69...

I'm getting that motherboard and the 3570K later this year for my system.

As far as RAM goes - Crucial, Kingston, G.Skill and Corsair are tier-1 manufacturers - as long as you get something from them that meets the motherboard guidelines you should be good.
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 6:18:49 PM

well for many people it's overkill, i've seen people who use 8 SSD lol and one of them is the white dude in youtube. and the other is this other guy I met a month ago.

for me

ram =G.SKILL,Corsair,Crucial,Kingston,Mushhy (from most favorite to least)
m
0
l
Related resources
April 18, 2012 6:26:23 PM

g-unit1111 said:
3 240GB SSDs is quite a bit overkill - I would have gone with a single 240GB and a 2 - 3TB HD, then put that money into getting 3 x 680 in SLI. But that's just me.

If you want a motherboard suggestion here's the perfect one: http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=151-IB-E69...

I'm getting that motherboard and the 3570K later this year for my system.

As far as RAM goes - Crucial, Kingston, G.Skill and Corsair are tier-1 manufacturers - as long as you get something from them that meets the motherboard guidelines you should be good.


Thanks for the reply!

[1] The 3x 240GB SSDs are there so that I can run a large set of VMs locally when I do development.

[2] I've already got two ATI 7970s. I understand that 680's may perform better in games but I use them as GPGPU devices. ATI wins that race any way you look at it.

[3] The MB does look nice. Is the EVGA Z77 out yet? Cant seem to find it on Newegg.

m
0
l
April 18, 2012 7:11:09 PM

Don't limit yourself on your expandability. Three cards later on ftw!

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD8687&v... $321.59
ASUS P8Z77 WS ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 CrossFireX SLI 4PCI-E16 SATA3 DVI USB3.0 Motherboard
4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16, x8, x8 or quad x8) *2

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7... <----- A better look at that board


http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950AC9748&v... $236.04
XFX 1250W PRO1250W Black Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 104A 24PIN ATX Full Modular 80PLUS Gold PSU
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 7:21:12 PM

Why_Me said:
Don't limit yourself on your expandability. Three cards later on ftw!

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD8687&v... $321.59
ASUS P8Z77 WS ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 CrossFireX SLI 4PCI-E16 SATA3 DVI USB3.0 Motherboard
4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16, x8, x8 or quad x8) *2

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7... <----- A better look at that board


http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950AC9748&v... $236.04
XFX 1250W PRO1250W Black Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 104A 24PIN ATX Full Modular 80PLUS Gold PSU


That's a very very nice MB... my only concern with it is that PLX chip... apparently similar tech has been used in the past and the end result in benchmarks showed it as a bandwidth bottle neck... I'll try to find the article.

I should have mentioned I have 1x 1200W power supply and two 850W to choose from on my work bench so I'm not going to be picking up a new one.

EDIT for link:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5666/a-brief-look-at-some...

""" """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """
It will be interesting to see if this PLX chip has any performance decrease associated with it like the NF200 did.
""" """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """ """

EDIT Article on NF200:
http://www.hardcore-games.tk/wp/nf200.php
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 7:28:47 PM

when i read ivy bridge budget, in my mind instantly changed it to unlimited sandy bridge-e budget. if money is not an object i would go definitely splurge for the sb-e and its 6 core goodness...
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 7:38:15 PM

aznplayer213 said:
when i read ivy bridge budget, in my mind instantly changed it to unlimited sandy bridge-e budget. if money is not an object i would go definitely splurge for the sb-e and its 6 core goodness...


You have a point... considering there is a very good possibility (unconfirmed at this time) that Ivy Bridge-e will be compatable with SB-e

"""
A slide leaked on the forums at Chinese site XFastest indicates that Ivy Bridge Extreme processors will be socket and chipset compatible with Sandy Bridge-E. It shows that IB-E processors will work in current X79 Express motherboards. This is good news for a lot of potential purchasers, as it means a system bought now will not cost as much to upgrade in 12 months.
"""

Source:

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2011/2011112101_Ivy_Bridg...


Anyone else share this opinion?
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 7:50:12 PM

jerme31 said:
You have a point... considering there is a very good possibility (unconfirmed at this time) that Ivy Bridge-e will be compatable with SB-e

"""
A slide leaked on the forums at Chinese site XFastest indicates that Ivy Bridge Extreme processors will be socket and chipset compatible with Sandy Bridge-E. It shows that IB-E processors will work in current X79 Express motherboards. This is good news for a lot of potential purchasers, as it means a system bought now will not cost as much to upgrade in 12 months.
"""

Source:

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2011/2011112101_Ivy_Bridg...


Anyone else share this opinion?


Ivy Bridge-E will most likely continue use X79, not LGA-1155. SB-E is catered to the enthusiast market (hence the high price tag), and I'm sure IB-E will most likely follow that same format.

Here's some preliminary info that I could find about it: http://www.techpowerup.com/162606/No-quot-Ivy-Bridge-E-...
m
0
l
!