How big PSU do I need for the following system?

Kajcha

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Well. I was thinking about buying this:
i3 2120
MSI ZH77A G43 MOBO (H77)
Corsair 2x4GB @ 1600MHz
Seagate Baracuda 500GB @ 7200rpm
and factory OC Powercolor 6870.

How much power consumption would that be?
I do not intend to Crossfire later, but I might get i5 3450, 3550 or 3570K with GIGABYTE Z77 DS3H mobo, if I have the money, when I buy this.

Note. If I don't get i5 now, then I probably won't be upgrading to i5 from i3 in the future, 3-5 years!

Or.

Amd phenom ii x4 945 @ 3GHz
M5A97 Asus mobo
Corsair 2x4GB @ 1600MHz
Seagate Baracuda 500GB @ 7200rpm
and factory OC Powercolor 6870.

How big PSU for the 2nd config!

And what config is better?!

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

I ran that PSU before and it never failed me, gave it to my friend and it still works fine.

for its price, its an underwhelming psu. there are already a lot of professional reviews on its quality for this specific series of psu.

edit: according to hardware secrets, its actually a rebranded old seventeam unit Seventeam ST-500BAZ which was rated at 500w and is atm discontinued(due to age)

According to AMD a good quality 500 watt power supply with about 40 amps on the +12 volt rail(s) and two 6-pin PCI-e video card power cables will be sufficient for a gaming rig with a 6870 video card and overcvlocking. The recommendation is valid for both configurations you mentioned.

Your question about power consumption is diificult to answer. It depends on what you are doing with your pc. Power consumption varies quite a bit between idle and something that might require a full load. The two power hogs in a system are the cpu and gpu. Other components use very little power.

About Cooler Master - They've had their ups and downs. They've had good psu's, average psu's, and bad psu's.

I maintain a list of psu recommendations. The list is up to date and based on web sites that have the proper equipment and people to conduct rigorous testing and in-depth component analysis. The list contains links to competent reviews:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-supplies/psu-recommendations.html

I also maintain a PSU Lemon List:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-supplies/psu-lemon-list.html

Kajcha

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Well I intend to use this PC to play games, BF3, CoD, NFS, surfing internet, watching movies etc.

Since I live in Serbia and was thinking about buying from a ship which is close to me, PSU manufacturers are limited, so is my PSU budget.

There is Cooler Master, Chieftec, LC Power and Seasonic.

I was thinking about 500W Chieftec CTG-500-80P, or A 600W Chieftec CTG-600-80P.

I would go with Seasonic since I know it is a good PSU, but as I said my PSU budget is very limited. And I would prefer the 500W Chieftec PSU, if it is able to power my PC.