Can't use ide-to-sata adapted drive to boot from?

mondoMondo

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Thinking of using one of these adapters for my beloved ide NEC dvd drive on a mobo with no ide sockets--but it's been mentioned elsewhere that this disables the drive as a device to boot from.

This true?

Thanx a meg,
m

Solution
I used and booted with 4 (on a 4 drive raid 0 array) for years without a problem.
I just couldnt waste those four wd80jb drives I had. LOL

Mine were rosewil rc-201 I think. ---- nope that was a raid card ---- its rc-204

popatim

Titan
I used and booted with 4 (on a 4 drive raid 0 array) for years without a problem.
I just couldnt waste those four wd80jb drives I had. LOL

Mine were rosewil rc-201 I think. ---- nope that was a raid card ---- its rc-204

Solution

mondoMondo

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Thanx popatim. What this speaks to is another thread of mine about trub with an asus mobo not wanting to install win7.

Am already on the hunt for a new mobo and I don't wanna give up this nice ide NCE dvd burner.

Getting harder to find AMD mobo's with PATA interface--much less onboard audio/video chips (anybody remember the amiga computer?).

Prob'ly shouldn't babble about this here but start a new thread or search one that discusses good AMD mobo's.

Again thanx for the reassurance popatim. Newegg still sells that rosewill model you referenced.

Though I don't often boot from the cd/dvd drive, there are times I need to (like installing the OS).

And hey scottiemedic, thanx for that thumb-drive-for-installing-the-OS tip. That was one of the recommendations on other threads about having trub with win7 installs to my current asus mobo.

Bestm