Sign in with
Your question

Where should I buy my new pc?

Last response: in Systems
April 18, 2012 6:26:18 PM

Hello. I am in the market for a new gaming desktop.

I have seen numerous threads on this but I have some direct questions so I hope you guys dont mind.

I am leaning towards buying a prebuilt pc from either alienware.com or cyberpower pc..

now I have been a dell/alienware or even a prebuilt pc hater for about 10 years but..

I am a little under experienced when it comes to builing your own. Also alienware is offering some good,

built comps that are resonably priced unliked in the past. they have a comp offering nice specs also razer

mouse and keyboard included.

I was wondering how u guys felt about going through them

also it seems like cyberpower is looking pretty good and promising but wanted to know everyones oppinions on

that aswell..

I have about 1200 for a desktop, keyboard, mouse, monitor. so I just want the best I can...

some things that are kind of a must for me would be a gtx 555 or compareable, at least 6 gigs maybe 8, and an i7

More about : buy

April 18, 2012 6:52:37 PM

With $1200 you can build a very nice gaming PC (including OS and peripherals). You could probably get an i5, 8GB ram, 120 GB ssd, and med/high level video card. You're not going to get nearly as much value buying pre-built. You could probably get i5, 8GB ram, regular hard drive, and entry/mid level video card. They really skimp on the video cards in these "gaming" desktops.
m
l
April 18, 2012 7:12:05 PM

Hate prebuilt PC's for 10 years, but have no experience??? Sounds like it's time to learn to build one yourself :)  If not, just buy whatever has the best components for the price. As hapkido said though, you're not going to get the most bang for the buck buying pre-built, especially on the GPU side of things.
m
l
Related resources
April 18, 2012 7:20:57 PM

This is nonesense. Most pre-built computers are good deals if you including the warrantee and support. Of course I would suggest building your own, but the components aren't going to be 'way' better as a result.
cyberpowerpc.com and ibuypower.com are my two favorites. One word of advice though is to get the least amount of ram you can, since for whatever reason, companies charge far more than retail for the RAM than for the other components.
Ex: buy 1 4gb stick if you can, and buy another matching one online.
m
l
April 18, 2012 7:24:58 PM

Thanks for the replies.. Also dont enjoy forums most of the time because people seem to misread text when its sitting there for you to go back over. I am UNDER experienced. i have had custom built pcs my whole life but have had help.

now back to what hap said. ur saying that if i custom built a pc i can get an i5 8 gigs and a entry lvl vid card?

i have found numerous prebuilt pcs that include 6 gigs of ram, i7, gtx555 for that price. so im a little confused.

thanks sting thats exactly the support i was looking for.
m
l
April 18, 2012 7:45:25 PM

If you have 1337 in your name, then you must build your own computer. It's the law! That's half the fun anyway! :D 

Newegg has a pretty good step by step showing how to build your computer here:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw&feature=yout...
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls&feature=yout...
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok&feature=yout...

I havnt looked at prebuilt PCs in awhile, but I assume the cost is pretty close to DIY. But building your own let's you customize every single piece of your computer to what you want. You will know no corners have been cut unless you decided to cut them. Not to mention the sense of accomplishment you get every time you turn on a PC you built yourself.

If you do decide to build your own and your in the US I would recommend newegg. You can also save even more if you have a MicroCenter near you, as thier CPU + mobo deals are even better than NewEggs usually.

ex. Here's what I've been working on (price will be less in the end after deals and micro center):

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
m
l
April 18, 2012 8:00:48 PM

why is everyone building me with an i5? lol is there something im missing?

and i dont like radeon.

heres the specs on a alienware

Alienware X51 Alienware X51
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i5-2320 3.0GHz (6MB Cache) with Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
OPTICAL DRIVE Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
CHASSIS COLOR Matte Stealth Black with Dark Chrome Accents
VIDEO CARD 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555
HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
WIRELESS DW1502 Wireless-N WLAN Half Mini-Card
Adobe Reader Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader
ALIENFX AlienFX Color, Quasar Blue
PRE-INSTALLED SOFTWARE Steam and Portal™ Factory Installed
AUTOMATIC UPDATES 330W External Power Supply
8 GIG RAM

for 949 w/ keyboard and mouse

thats if i wanted an i5

m
l
April 18, 2012 8:05:44 PM

p1ng1337 said:

and i dont like radeon.

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i5-2320 3.0GHz (6MB Cache) with Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
8 GIG RAM

thats if i wanted an i5

The ones I just listed are a good bit better and new egg is a great company just look around and compare.
m
l
April 18, 2012 8:53:45 PM

p1ng1337 said:

and i dont like radeon.

8 GIG RAM

thats if i wanted an i5

Im not building you an i5. :pfff: 

I was just showing you what I am working on.

Actually... just buy the Alienware if thats what makes you happy. :) 
m
l
April 18, 2012 8:54:10 PM

cyberpower seems to be pretty close, to newegg at least in my test build (price wise)
problem with prebuilt is you cant customize entirely, you just pick from what they got,
for instance i dont really like cyber powers cases, but if you can look past that,
they are offering free laser inscribing...so you can get p1ng1337, on your case.

alienwares are really...really cool, i love the x51, but your paying allot,
where as you could more efficiently spend your money, and have room in the future to sli/crossfire
m
l
April 18, 2012 9:08:17 PM

Well bro if you like alienware go for it its your cash
m
l
April 18, 2012 9:09:10 PM

Hey p1ng1337,

"why is everyone building me with an i5"

Just so you know, an i5 will be more than enough for gaming. Gaming is 95% of the time bottlenecked by the GPU. Even if you have a top-of-the-line card. I have a GeForce 680, and the GPU is used to 99% while the CPU stays at 40% on all cores. Save yourself some money and stick with an i5, or even AMD. I was very happy with my Phenom x4 in my last rig.

"and i dont like radeon"

Don't knock it till you've tried it. One company isn't inherently better than the other with graphics (except intel, they suck at graphics). The Radeon 5770 and the GeForce 8800GT were my favorite cards of all time. AMD and Nvidia are usually neck and neck with GPUs, especially in the last generation (5xx Geforce/6xxx Radeon). Just keep an open mind if you want the best and cheapest experience.

"heres the specs on a alienware"

I don't recommend alienware. I've heard nothing but bad things. My college buddy got an alienware laptop, and (while powerful) he has to reset the CMOS (hold the power button for 30 seconds with the battery out) once a week. No idea why, but his GPU slowly stops working if he doesn't.

I've never had a pre-built computer, but I hear good things about ibuypower.
m
l
April 18, 2012 9:40:06 PM

Hi

For what its worth I never played PC ever, when I bought my girlfriend a laptop it had a reasonable onborad graphics card so I bought a couple of simulation games and got hooked. I was gonna buy a custom pc but decided to build my own from top to bottom.

Honest to God i hadn't a clue when it came to pc building or at least I didnt until I started reading the fourms and watching the numberous youtube videos. I finally plucked up the courage and bought the parts. I had my components reviewed on this website and was assured they were compatible. If you want ask on the forum for someone to give you a list of compatible components to suit your needs.

My budget was 800ish euro(I'm irish). I bought

ANTI-STATIC WRIST BAND (very important)
Asus P6z68,
i5 2500k,
Corsair vengance 2x4gbs
Seagate 1tb 7200rpm
XFX 650watt psu
Gpu is Nvidia 560ti
Case, keyboard+mouse,cd/dvd drive
I had windows 64 bit.

It was very easy asembling the components as the manuals are step by step, all mobos are clearly marked, and everything has its own home. Sometimes it was scary considering some parts are very delicate(cpu insertion) but with simple care it was easy.

To buy the same system it would have cost me 1300ish euro.

It wasnt all plain sailing as my first MOBO was DOA. At the time i didnt know what was wrong so I clearly explained my problem on the forums and was advised to return it. There has been no issues since then.

The bios on most MOBOs are fool proof now and again the manual clearly explains what to do.

The experience buildin the system is unbelieveable, every time you switch it on you get a little tingle. The excitement opening the boxes when there delivered is ridiculously childish.

If you do some research its definitly worth building yourself. Do trust me you will never regret it.

Regarding the i5 issue. From reading most forums here and on other sites the i52500k is the best option for gaming as most games only use the four cores. If your video editing then a i7 with 8cores is better.( I could be wrong)

God speed.

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT, BACARDI AND COLA. DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!
m
l
April 18, 2012 10:29:57 PM

Thanks again for all the replies.

working together with my friend on finding me a comp. he built almost the same comp as a prebuilt comp and it came out 100 more on the prebuilt. the prebuilt included mouse and keyboard.

also I want the i7 because but a few years when i need to upgrade i can upgrade my graphics card instead of my processor.

smart decision? yeah....

also I will definately spend 4000 more to get p1ng1337 engraved on my $50 case.

also im not "knocking" radeon before Ive tried it though I appreciate ur assumption.

I am loyal to geforce since ive used it about 10 years ago.

also im not going to go with alienware but i did decide to just buy a prebuilt but now im trying to figure out

between ibuypower or cyberpower
m
l
April 19, 2012 2:21:02 AM

Special-A
1 x Case ( NZXT Tempest EVO Gaming Case - Black )

0 x Case Lighting ( None )

0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )

0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )

1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache) - Free Upgrade to Intel Core i5-2550K Processor )

0 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )

1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan )

1 x Memory ( 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )

1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB - FREE Upgrade to GTX 560 Ti EVGA Superclocked - Single Card )

1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA )

1 x Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H -- 1x PCI-E 3.0 x16, 4x USB 3.0 )

0 x Intel Smart Response Technology ( None )

1 x Motherboard USB / SATA Interface ( Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface )

1 x Power Supply ( 650 Watt - Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2 - Free Upgrade to 750 Watt Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 ($20 Savings) )

1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )

0 x Data Hard Drive ( None )

1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )

0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )

1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black )

0 x Meter Display ( None )

0 x USB Expansion ( None )

1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )

1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )

1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard )

1 x Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse )

0 x Monitor ( None )

0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )

1 x Speaker System ( iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )

0 x Video Camera ( None )

0 x Case Engraving Service ( None )

1 x Warranty ( 3 Year Standard Warranty Service )

1 x Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

$1157

How does this look? they are giving me a free upgrade to the 2550k i5 but i heard to just stay with the 2500k

am i missing anything? fans or anything else?
m
l
April 19, 2012 2:32:36 AM

^The biggest thing I would worry about would be the psu. Anything that just states standard means that it is a ticking time bomb which may take out components of you $1000 investment. If you do go with them see if you can upgrade it to a quality unit from a reputable company such as corsair, antec, seasonic, pc power & cooling etc.....
m
l
April 19, 2012 1:13:38 PM

It looks ok, certainly a lot better than that alienware. Again, by not building yourself you're overspending 20% or more. If your friend couldn't price a similar system for less money, he's not very good at picking parts. But if you're not able to build yourself, buying pre-built is your only option.
m
l
April 19, 2012 1:16:58 PM

zooted said:
^The biggest thing I would worry about would be the psu. Anything that just states standard means that it is a ticking time bomb which may take out components of you $1000 investment. If you do go with them see if you can upgrade it to a quality unit from a reputable company such as corsair, antec, seasonic, pc power & cooling etc.....

I was thinking the same thing but would new egg really put a psu in a 1000 dollar machine that was going to cause a problem?? Dont know I would call first and find out what unit was in it and see how much to upgrade if it is crap.
m
l
April 19, 2012 1:18:13 PM

What company was that pc from?
m
l
April 19, 2012 1:24:47 PM

p1ng1337 said:
Special-A
1 x Case ( NZXT Tempest EVO Gaming Case - Black )

0 x Case Lighting ( None )

0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )

0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )

1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache) - Free Upgrade to Intel Core i5-2550K Processor )

0 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )

1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan )

1 x Memory ( 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )

1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB - FREE Upgrade to GTX 560 Ti EVGA Superclocked - Single Card )

1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA )

1 x Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H -- 1x PCI-E 3.0 x16, 4x USB 3.0 )

0 x Intel Smart Response Technology ( None )

1 x Motherboard USB / SATA Interface ( Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface )

1 x Power Supply ( 650 Watt - Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2 - Free Upgrade to 750 Watt Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 ($20 Savings) )

1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )

0 x Data Hard Drive ( None )

1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )

0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )

1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black )

0 x Meter Display ( None )

0 x USB Expansion ( None )

1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )

1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )

1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard )

1 x Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse )

0 x Monitor ( None )

0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )

1 x Speaker System ( iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )

0 x Video Camera ( None )

0 x Case Engraving Service ( None )

1 x Warranty ( 3 Year Standard Warranty Service )

1 x Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

$1157

How does this look? they are giving me a free upgrade to the 2550k i5 but i heard to just stay with the 2500k

am i missing anything? fans or anything else?

This is a good pc I would go ahead and get that
m
l
April 19, 2012 3:02:53 PM

confused.. the psu is a corsair 750 watt

im sorry i got the price wrong.. the price is 1057 and it was built from ibuypower.com

and thats with professional wiring which was extra.
m
l
April 19, 2012 3:11:38 PM

The original was a 650 but they gave a free upgrade to the 750 its a good psu the ram is good the cpu is good the motherboard is good its all good name brand stuff. even better yet they gave you the i5 that can overclock. I would also ask about geting a 60gb ssd for windows it really does make a huge performance difference.

http://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Enthusiast-Series-Certifi...

m
l
April 19, 2012 3:19:37 PM

Just noticed you even got the GTX 560 Ti EVGA Superclocked sweet card sweet. I just added it all up and you would not save any money if you built it yourself
m
l
April 19, 2012 3:24:25 PM

pfunkmd said:
Just noticed you even got the GTX 560 Ti EVGA Superclocked sweet card sweet. I just added it all up and you would not save any money if you built it yourself

yeah and even if it is like 10% more to get prebuilt. thats very cheap considering the labor putting it together. the professional wiring and getting backed by a nice warranty..
m
l
April 19, 2012 3:30:17 PM

Yeah for sure and I just added up all of the parts I do not even think it is 10 percent more. Plus the wiring is a nice bonus it took me forever to get my wiring perfect. The 3 year warranty is killer to cant beat that the whole deal is good. Where did you purchase the pc from?
m
l
April 19, 2012 4:00:28 PM

pfunkmd said:
Yeah for sure and I just added up all of the parts I do not even think it is 10 percent more. Plus the wiring is a nice bonus it took me forever to get my wiring perfect. The 3 year warranty is killer to cant beat that the whole deal is good. Where did you purchase the pc from?

havent bought yet but its from ibuypower.com

also do u get free shipping on those newegg parts? cause mines free
m
l
April 19, 2012 4:05:52 PM

Free shipping some yes and some no. I checked new egg and the parts are not as good in that price point I also checked a few other places Tiger Direct and that is the best bang for the buck
m
l
April 19, 2012 4:05:58 PM

Free shipping some yes and some no. I checked new egg and the parts are not as good in that price point I also checked a few other places Tiger Direct and that is the best bang for the buck
m
l
April 19, 2012 4:17:10 PM

Not too bad for the price. I have heard good things and I have heard bad things from ibuypower. Hopefully your experience will be the on the good side. I say go ahead and order it if you feel like that is your best option. It is a solid build that you give you nice performance. (Although a 7850 would be better than a 560ti) but hey that is you preference.
m
l
April 19, 2012 6:25:33 PM

The Intel i5 is more than enough. Our mid-range systems run the GTX 560 with the i5 on 8 GB of G.Skill. It's a very powerful PC. There's no real need to go to i7 unless your doing more than just gaming. You could scrape the parts together with peripherals yourself for your price. Add a monitor though and your pushing it.

www.BallisticHardware.com
m
l
April 19, 2012 7:31:58 PM

yeah ill have to bump it up to 1300.. comp hits 1095 with some twinks i think ill have to make to the psu but ill be around 1300 after its all said and done. probably knock off some cash on the case

•*BASE_PRICE: [+1029]
•BLUETOOTH: None
•CAS: Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Gaming Case [+22]
•CASUPGRADE: None
•CD: LG UH12LS28K 12X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive (BLACK COLOR)
•CD2: None
•COOLANT: Standard Coolant
•CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2550K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
•CS_FAN: Default case fans
•ENGRAVING: None
•FA_HDD: None
•FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
•FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
•FREEBIE_CS: None
•GLASSES: None
•HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
•HDD2: None
•IEEE_CARD: None
•IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
•KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
•MB_SRT: None
•MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+3] (Corsair or Major Brand)
•MONITOR: None
•MONITOR2: None
•MONITOR3: None
•MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, Ultra Durable4 Classic, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 3x PCIe x1 & 2 PCI
•MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
•NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
•OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
•POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+0]
•RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS
•SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
•SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
•SPEAKERS: None
•TEMP: None
•TUNING: None
•TVRC: None
•USB: None
•USBFLASH: None
•USBHD: None
•USBX: None
•VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+41] (EVGA Superclocked [+0])
•VIDEO2: None
•VIDEO3: None
•WNC: None
•_PRICE: (+1095)
m
l
April 19, 2012 7:50:48 PM

3 tips:

1) You don't need a 1000w psu for a single gtx 560 ti. Even with SLI, it's still overkill.

2) Get an i5-2500k instead of i5-2550k. I believe z77 mobos have quicksync, but since 2550k doesn't have the graphics core, you wouldn't be able to use quicksync. Whether or not you're going to use it now, you're still losing functionality by "upgrading" to the 2550k.

3) Save some room in your budget for a SSD, especially since you're budgeting $1300. They are easily the biggest upgrade you can do for general computer usage. Any computer $1000 or more should have at least a 60GB SSD for OS, apps, and 1 or 2 large games. 120GB drives are becoming affordable as well.
m
l
April 19, 2012 7:58:44 PM

I agree with the comment about the ssd it really was the single biggest performance upgrade I have ever done. The pc boots in 20 to 25 seconds and windows is super fast now
m
l
April 19, 2012 8:00:44 PM

And I would go with the corsair 750 from the first list not the no name 1000 watt psu on the second list
m
l
April 19, 2012 8:32:03 PM

Yeah I am going to stick with the i5 2500k it was just being weird while i was selecting it. kept trying to upgrade me.

I agree with getting the 750watt though it will be more expensive at least its name brand. even at 750 its plenty.

I didnt even think of an ssd although my budget wont allow it. I am planning on getting a 200 dollar monitor and really cant go over 1300. and to be quite honest if i had the extra money id put it into a better graphics card because i can wait an extra 10 seconds to load my os / games :p 

also I cannot purchase this rig till the 23rd so ill have to see what specials are going on at that time.

I dont know how alot of people use new egg and conisder it to be fun.. im banging my head against the table as we speak just messing with the few configurations that i have at the prebuilt websites.

also guys. im a little terrified at the cooling system that this rig is offering.. i am considering going with a regular heatsink.. what are your thoughts on that?

m
l
April 19, 2012 9:13:47 PM

p1ng1337 said:
Yeah I am going to stick with the i5 2500k it was just being weird while i was selecting it. kept trying to upgrade me.

I agree with getting the 750watt though it will be more expensive at least its name brand. even at 750 its plenty.

I didnt even think of an ssd although my budget wont allow it. I am planning on getting a 200 dollar monitor and really cant go over 1300. and to be quite honest if i had the extra money id put it into a better graphics card because i can wait an extra 10 seconds to load my os / games :p 

also I cannot purchase this rig till the 23rd so ill have to see what specials are going on at that time.

I dont know how alot of people use new egg and conisder it to be fun.. im banging my head against the table as we speak just messing with the few configurations that i have at the prebuilt websites.

also guys. im a little terrified at the cooling system that this rig is offering.. i am considering going with a regular heatsink.. what are your thoughts on that?

No way bro I would go with the liquid cooler but I would try to change it for the corsair h80 Hydro cooler it looks better.
m
l
April 19, 2012 9:15:25 PM

Anyone else have any oppinions on the 560 ti or another card? im not hearing good things about it

also i wont be ocing i dont know how to do any of that and i dont want to mess with it.. if it comes oc'd then fine (if thats possible)

the 7850 is looking pretty good.. could i keep an i5 cpu or would it be wise to go with amd?
m
l
April 19, 2012 9:34:09 PM

Its no prob to run the 7850 with Intel and it is a really good card.
m
l
April 20, 2012 1:35:10 PM

p1ng1337 said:

It's your money, but it's silly to spend $1300 on a PC and not get a SSD. Overall, you will notice having a 120GB SSD a lot more than having a $350 video card instead of a $250 video card. It may not give you more fps, but it makes your maps in-game load a lot faster and make your OS and apps feel much snappier. If the only thing you're going to do with this PC is play games, I'd still recommend one to install your most played game on.
m
l
April 20, 2012 4:39:29 PM

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K $219.99
Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 $28.99
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 $134.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 $44.99
GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7850 2GB (factory overclock to 975MHz, free Dirt 3) $259.99
SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB SATA III SSD (includes 3.5" to 2.5" bracket) $118.99
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM $99.99 (before $10 off w/ promo code EMCNFJA22, ends 4/25 )
DVD: ASUS 24X DVD Burner $17.99
Case: HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition $39.99
PSU: Antec EarthWatts GREEN 650W 80+ Bronze $79.99 (before $20 off w/ promo code PAXANT15, ends 4/22)

Subtotal: $1045.90

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit (System Builder) $99.99
Keyboard: Microsoft USB Wired Slim Keyboard $15.99
Mouse: COOLER MASTER CM Storm Xornet $29.99

Subtotal: $145.97

Gross Total: $1191.87
Shipping: $12.11
Promo codes: -$30.00

Net Total: $1173.98

This comes in under $1200 shipped for PC, Windows, and periphials. It has a 120GB SSD, and the mobo and PSU give you the option of adding another 7850 down the road if you choose to crossfire. And like any reputable retailer, Newegg has a 30-day return policy above and beyond the warranties on the individual parts.

I still think you should build your own. It's not difficult at all and there are plenty of resources on the internet showing how to do it step by step. Plus you get more value and it's way more satisfying to do it yourself.
m
l
April 20, 2012 6:03:07 PM

hapkido said:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K $219.99
Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 $28.99
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 $134.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 $44.99
GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7850 2GB (factory overclock to 975MHz, free Dirt 3) $259.99
SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB SATA III SSD (includes 3.5" to 2.5" bracket) $118.99
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM $99.99 (before $10 off w/ promo code EMCNFJA22, ends 4/25 )
PSU: Antec EarthWatts GREEN 650W 80+ Bronze $79.99 (before $20 off w/ promo code PAXANT15, ends 4/22)

Subtotal: $1045.90

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit (System Builder) $99.99
Keyboard: Microsoft USB Wired Slim Keyboard $15.99

Gross Total: $1191.87
Shipping: $12.11
Promo codes: -$30.00

Net Total: $1173.98

This comes in under $1200 shipped for PC, Windows, and periphials. It has a 120GB SSD, and the mobo and PSU give you the option of adding another 7850 down the road if you choose to crossfire. And like any reputable retailer, Newegg has a 30-day return policy above and beyond the warranties on the individual parts.

I still think you should build your own. It's not difficult at all and there are plenty of resources on the internet showing how to do it step by step. Plus you get more value and it's way more satisfying to do it yourself.

yeah it sounds good and i can go over to my buddies house and build it with him. problem is 30 day warrenty vs 3 years

and im told ur lucky if u dont have to send any parts back for a defective.

also this comp is the same price as the ones ive been seeing prebuilt without a ssd which i dont really care about right now. the comp needs to come in at 1000 or 1100 for room for a 200 monitor
m
l
April 20, 2012 7:23:49 PM

p1ng1337 said:
yeah it sounds good and i can go over to my buddies house and build it with him. problem is 30 day warrenty vs 3 years

and im told ur lucky if u dont have to send any parts back for a defective.

also this comp is the same price as the ones ive been seeing prebuilt without a ssd which i dont really care about right now. the comp needs to come in at 1000 or 1100 for room for a 200 monitor

Most parts have 3 year manufacturer warranties. The 30 day retailer warranty is separate and in addition to. Of the last four PCs I've built, I had one single bad stick of RAM that started causing BSOD a week after I built it. One stick of RAM out of four entire PCs worth of parts. Manufacturers do their own internal quality checks before shipping parts.

I'm just trying to help and I could price a $850 gaming PC for you (leaving budget for monitor, OS, and peripherals), but you seem to already know what you want, so that's cool. The ibuypower one looks ok, just get that. You'll get less for your $1000 than if you built yourself, but it certainly is the easier option.
m
l
April 20, 2012 8:06:53 PM

Ok, it's Friday afternoon and I'm caught up with all my work for the week but stuck her for another hour, so...

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 $189.99
Mobo: ASRock Z68 PRO3 $104.99
RAM: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 $37.99
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB $239.99 (free Dirt3 game coupon)
SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB SATA III SSD $79.99 (3.5” adapter bracket included)
HDD: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 1TB $89.99
PSU: COOLER MASTER GX 450W 80+ Bronze $44.99 (before $10 MIR)

Subtotal: $845.91

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM $99.99
Keyboard: Microsoft Black USB Wired Slim Keyboard $15.99

Shipping: $7.33

Net Total: $999.21 (before $10 MIR)

I know you didn't ask for this, and you're not going to build it, but I like to see what I can fit into a certain budget. If you have a $1000 pre-built budget (before monitor), that means your PC budget is actually ~$850, because you need OS, keyboard, and mouse. You have to admit, i5, 7850, and SSD for $999, including Windows, peripherals, and shipping, is pretty sweet.
m
l
April 20, 2012 8:22:19 PM

Yeah that is a sweet build. It stinks for me when I see those low prices I live in europe and the prices are way higher. America has the best prices when I go to visit my family in a few month I am stocking up on parts. Everything is 30 percent less
m
l
April 21, 2012 4:52:02 PM

I like that build except for the cpu.. i at least want a i5 2500k.. and thats 1000 with out one?

and thanks hap for taking the time out to reply. nothing said is wasted here I consider all options and wouldnt mind building my own but it would have to be worth it compared to a pre built.
m
l
July 30, 2012 10:25:16 AM

hapkido said:
Ok, it's Friday afternoon and I'm caught up with all my work for the week but stuck her for another hour, so...

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 $189.99
Mobo: ASRock Z68 PRO3 $104.99
RAM: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 $37.99
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB $239.99 (free Dirt3 game coupon)
SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB SATA III SSD $79.99 (3.5” adapter bracket included)
HDD: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 1TB $89.99
PSU: COOLER MASTER GX 450W 80+ Bronze $44.99 (before $10 MIR)

Subtotal: $845.91

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM $99.99
Keyboard: Microsoft Black USB Wired Slim Keyboard $15.99

Shipping: $7.33

Net Total: $999.21 (before $10 MIR)

I know you didn't ask for this, and you're not going to build it, but I like to see what I can fit into a certain budget. If you have a $1000 pre-built budget (before monitor), that means your PC budget is actually ~$850, because you need OS, keyboard, and mouse. You have to admit, i5, 7850, and SSD for $999, including Windows, peripherals, and shipping, is pretty sweet.

can you please build me super pc, need to have alots RAM and great cooling system (never turn off my pc) and please get it under 2000, thanks
m
l
!