Sign in with
Your question

How best to setup wired router and two wireless routers?

Last response: in Networking
April 24, 2011 9:16:20 PM

Hello,
First, I'm not savy with home networking, I muddle through it most of the time.

My current setup is a wired connection from modem in office to Linksys WRT54G2v1 in livingroom and from it I have wired connections to Mac & Laptop back into office, Apple TV and another Linksys WRT160Nv3 located in far bedroom.
The reason for this setup is that my home has been a vortex of death for wireless and cell reception. I have a guest house on same side of house as far bedroom and in order to get single to the person living there, I put in the WRT160N in the bedroom. This setup works but lately the 54G causing the wired connections to loose internet connectivity. This seems to happen to me every 2 years with Linksys and I end up buying new.
I purchased a D-Link EBR-2310 v2.01 non wireless router to put in and take all the wired connections off the 54G. But I fear I'll break everything when I try this.
Anyone have guidance on how best to treat the Linksys routers if I have the D-Link as the primary router?
I have 14 days to return D-Link if this turns into a nightmare.
Thank you,
Mary
April 24, 2011 10:21:38 PM

what type of internet do you have? DSL or Cable.

how is your WRT160N connected to the other router? WAN/Internet port or LAN port.
m
l
April 24, 2011 10:28:12 PM

I have Cable internet.

It is currently connect to the WAN/Internet port. The whole setup between the two routers was something Linksys had helped me with and it took a few hours of trial and testing with them over the phone.
m
l
Related resources
April 24, 2011 10:46:43 PM

the reason I asked is because the D-Link router's default LAN IP is 192.168.0.1 and Linksys uses 192.168.1.1

I would check the LAN IP for the WRT54 and make sure you D-Link will have the same.

once the D-Link has the same settings as the WRT54 it should be just a swap out of routers.
m
l
April 24, 2011 10:57:17 PM

Thank you, I will try that.
m
l
!