Sign in with
Your question

CPU fan won't boot up...

Last response: in CPUs
July 31, 2012 9:39:07 PM

So I was test building my system today outside of the case. The motherboard 'beeps' and fires up but the cpu fan doesn't spin. The GPU is also firing up just fine. I did all of the basic test steps (make sure everything is plugged into the right places, did a reboot, etc.) but I still can't get that cpu fan to spin. Any ideas? Just a faulty fan?

More about : cpu fan boot

July 31, 2012 10:04:34 PM

thebolt said:
So I was test building my system today outside of the case. The motherboard 'beeps' and fires up but the cpu fan doesn't spin. The GPU is also firing up just fine. I did all of the basic test steps (make sure everything is plugged into the right places, did a reboot, etc.) but I still can't get that cpu fan to spin. Any ideas? Just a faulty fan?

Also I should mention that the BIOS for my board boots up and displays on the monitor no problem. My inexperienced educated guess would assumed it takes a tiny bit of ram and CPU in order to make that happen, so the chip and memory are probably also solid. Everything looks fine but the CPU fan won't boot.
July 31, 2012 10:07:02 PM

try using one memory stick at a time to see which one fires the CPU fan - you might want to use the first slot. I had similar problem about 2 hours ago when I was upgrading my memory. CPU fan went on vacation!
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 31, 2012 10:21:07 PM

if you give it a spin with your finger, does it start? is the fan old or new?
July 31, 2012 11:09:37 PM

This did the trick. It would spin when I flicked it and I realized that the wires for the fan were wrapped in such a way that they were just BARELY blocking it from spinning. I did some wire adjustment and now it works fine. Seems intel designed it to be a bit shoddy but as long as it spins I'm happy. Thanks!
!